The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-30-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Any love for Randy Rhoads? The Live Tribute album was awesome, as was he. Tragic end to his life far to early. One of my favorites.
Yeah, loved Randy Rhoads. Blizzard of Oz is an all time classic IMO.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:36 AM

Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel, Charlie Christian, Gabor Szabo, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Mundell Lowe, Kenny Burrell, Johnny Smith - These were my guitar heroes when I was in high school and I still love listening to their records.
I'm also a fan of Amos Garrett, Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman and Mike Bloomfield.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 04-30-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
For me, Peter Green is my favorite. But I love Spencer and Kirwan too.

That said, my favorite guitar line up is Clapton and Winwood. When those guys get together, it is just magic.
Never heard of Peter Green until this thread. Had no idea there was a previous lineup to Fleetwood Mac. Never knew “The Green Manalishi” wasn’t a Judas Priest original.

This place is edu-macational!
Old 04-30-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Never heard of Peter Green until this thread. Had no idea there was a previous lineup to Fleetwood Mac. Never knew “The Green Manalishi” wasn’t a Judas Priest original.

This place is edu-macational!
Well, if you have not heard it before, this is what I am talking about. Gives me the chills . . .:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7IonOLQd8
Old 04-30-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Of course! I think every Green fan is familiar with the saga of the guitar. And there is another layer to it. I read an interview with him a few years back where I got the impression he felt that particular guitar had a malevolence to it, that it was better for his mental health that he be without it.

Of course, that was far from the only guitar he played, in studio and otherwise.

Green is like chasing a ghost to me, or a mirage. His lines are, in theory, well within my ability to play. Not a lot of hard fingerings or blistering phrases. But its all in the touch! He had such a wonderful touch. (I know he is still alive, but I saw him and the Splinter Group quite a while back, and he was not really the same guitarist.)
Yea, it's all in the touch for all the great guitarists. Sad to hear that Peter's skills, or touch, has diminished but he's 73 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Yeah, loved Randy Rhoads. Blizzard of Oz is an all time classic IMO.
One of the best classic metal albums for sure. The Tribute Album was amazing too. Randy's last day in that plane crash was tragic and very unavoidable.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sad to hear that Peter's skills, or touch, has diminished but he's 73 now.
I don't know if it is that, or that mentally he is not the same guy (which may be better, maybe he is in a better place mentally, not worse). I don't know if he even wanted to sound like he used to. He was very content to let his other guitarist do much of the lead work.

Though it is worth remembering that back in the day, Danny Kirwan played some of the things that people reflexively attribute to Green. Green has always been a collaborative guy. That is one reason why they called the band Fleetwood Mac in the first place. (Heck of a trivia question, may be the only example I can think of where a band was named for a guy who was not even a member yet when they first started out, John McVie being still in the Bluesbreakers).
Old 04-30-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, if you have not heard it before, this is what I am talking about. Gives me the chills . . .:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7IonOLQd8
Thanks! Yeah I looked up a bunch of his stuff. He's interesting for sure. This song seems really slow as I've always loved the JP version. I get that those who grew up with the original might see that as sacrilege...
Old 04-30-2020, 04:16 PM

Well, as to the different versions of Green Manalishi, the thing about that one is it was literally Green's nightmare. He wrote it after a nightmare (or a bad trip, perhaps). To me, when you listen to the Mac version you are listening to a man actually in the process of becoming undone. JP are covering that, and have to simulate it. It was Green's lived experience. He was genuinely on the brink.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I’d never in a month of Sundays describe myself as a ‘Deadhead’, but I’ve heard, and loved, lots of their music over the years. Garcia was one of a kind.

In particular, among many examples, the solo on the album version of Touch of Grey remains one of the most joyously lyrical pieces of guitar playing that it has ever been my pleasure to hear.
You made me want to go check out How john Mayer is playing the solo.
Here’s a nice example of the Touch of Grey solo by John Mayer and by Jerry.

2:19 here’s john
https://youtu.be/iRMWU8Ujr0U

2:23 Jerry. John's is not bad but Jerry is very nice.

https://youtu.be/0ZmR-T0jilA

Last edited by Marley; 05-01-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:07 PM

Bernie Leadon - one of the cleanest, melodic Telecaster guys. I think the reason he doesn't get the recognition as much as others is that he wasn't allowed to improvise live when with the Eagles, but all of his studio work was well thought out and tasty. Glenn Frey once called him, 'the best country guitarist in the world.'

Also, being versatile usually doesn't play well in the 'greatest' lists. Bernie played banjo, mandolin, pedal steel, dobro, acoustic & electric guitars. Don Henley said that when the Eagles got started, Bernie was the most important member because of his experience, and because he taught them all how to sing great harmonies.

John Jorgenson - another incredible electric guitarist. A true musician's musician. He plays about 12 instruments (guitars, mandolin, clarinet, etc) so he is burdened with the versatility thing as well. Highly respected in the industry and a great picker. Can play a lot of styles not just well, but great.

I can't play like either of these guys, don't play electric at all (although that's gonna change soon), but have great tremendous respect for Leadon and Jorgenson.

And the best one/two punch in electric guitars these days is Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:18 PM

Jeff Beck

Chuck Berry

James Burton

Buddy Holly
Old 05-05-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post

John Jorgenson - another incredible electric guitarist. A true musician's musician. He plays about 12 instruments (guitars, mandolin, clarinet, etc) so he is burdened with the versatility thing as well. Highly respected in the industry and a great picker. Can play a lot of styles not just well, but great.
I can recall seeing Jorgenson for the first time with the Desert Rose Band and about three songs into their set I was saying to myself "Who's that guitarist!? Taste and chops to spare.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-09-2020, 07:23 AM

James Hetfield of Metallica is an amazing rhythm guitarist. He can play incredibly fast, tight downstroking and complicated riffs and still sing. I didn't realize in the '80s how great he was but over the past 10 years I've gained a great appreciation and influence.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:29 AM

I'm gonna join in to praise John Jorgenson. I came across him years ago when he played on albums with Roger McGuinn and Mary Chapin Carpenter. He was in Elton John's band for a few years more recently, and my buddy is into Gypsy Jazz and Jorgenson is a master of that style. There's nothing he can't play, with taste, restraint and always for the song.

I agree with Mr Bill about Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan as well. Apparently Kenny's guitar teacher was Bill Frissell.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:09 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
I'm gonna join in to praise John Jorgenson. I came across him years ago when he played on albums with Roger McGuinn and Mary Chapin Carpenter. He was in Elton John's band for a few years more recently, and my buddy is into Gypsy Jazz and Jorgenson is a master of that style. There's nothing he can't play, with taste, restraint and always for the song.

I agree with Mr Bill about Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan as well. Apparently Kenny's guitar teacher was Bill Frissell.
I've been watching four interviews with John Jorgenson on YouTube, in the Truetone Lounge series. He's like an encyclopedia of inside music knowledge. Has played with tons of people, and really doesn't have an unkind word to say about anyone.

And you are absolutely right about him playing with taste and restraint. The songs the thing, and he enhances every one he's ever played on.

From his website I found out he's involved in five bands right now.

Now I gotta look up Bill Frissell and find out more about him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars