The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-06-2023, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think that sort of arrangement sounds great. I'd love to get an electric and do some of that (also throw something in a loop and fool around with leads as well). Maybe next year when I'm fully retired.
If Chris lived near me, I would be taking lessons, not so much for theory, but to ingrain his sense of taste in delivery. To me, he is one of the most tasteful players currently in this style. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anyway, that is how I aspire to play when doing my own arrangements. I don't know if "arrangement" is the correct term for me because I just work tunes out more or less on the fly from fakebooks (i.e. lead sheets - melody and chord smbols) rather than writing them out note for note to be repeated the same way each time I play it. My guess is that this is also what Chris Whiteman does, which is typical for the style.

The after 9/11, my wife and I went on a cruise because so many were afraid to fly that cruises were being offered at fire sale prices. I befriended the cocktail piano player and he showed me his stack of fakebooks and explained how he worked with them. It was the same thing that I do. Rather than memorizing an arrangement, he had his vocabulary of chords, knowledge of how they move from one to another and can be substituted to create new harmony under the same melody, and he applied that to the tunes in his pile of fakebooks.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-07-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
If Chris lived near me, I would be taking lessons, not so much for theory, but to ingrain his sense of taste in delivery. To me, he is one of the most tasteful players currently in this style. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anyway, that is how I aspire to play when doing my own arrangements. I don't know if "arrangement" is the correct term for me because I just work tunes out more or less on the fly from fakebooks (i.e. lead sheets - melody and chord smbols) rather than writing them out note for note to be repeated the same way each time I play it. My guess is that this is also what Chris Whiteman does, which is typical for the style.

Tony
Tony, Chris does Skype lessons. I took lessons from Chris for over 2 years starting during the pandemic and he is an incredible teacher. Highly recommended!
Old 08-07-2023, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjbny View Post
Tony, Chris does Skype lessons. I took lessons from Chris for over 2 years starting during the pandemic and he is an incredible teacher. Highly recommended!
Thanks!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-09-2023, 05:32 PM

Dunno. I don't think about any of that. I just play the dern thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write