The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2022, 02:51 PM

When I see things that I think are over-priced, I don’t buy them.
‘69 Fender Telecaster
A bunch of other stuff
Old 07-21-2022, 05:41 PM

Just wait a while. Who knows when, but it will all come crashing down!
Old 07-21-2022, 06:17 PM

Yeah, there is absolutely nothing fraudulent about listing a luxury guitar at a higher price than what you think it's worth.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeappel View Post
If I were a man of means I'd pay a premium for a guitar once owned by Jerry Jeff. Seems like a lot of money, but that's a very cool guitar no matter who owned it before. I agree, it's a good bet that they'll get close to the asking price.
I once had a J-200 that he had previously owned, and it was an awful guitar.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck View Post
When I see things that I think are over-priced, I don’t buy them.
Ditto. No sense griping; just walk away....
Old 07-21-2022, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Fraud, no. Immoral, definitely.

Yes there is the rarity factor of Waterloo's atm so I see nothing wrong in anyone trying to make back what they paid if they move one on, maybe even a little bit more.
But this persons asking price is ridiculous imo, I'm glad nobody has bought it off him at that price it only encourages them.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontewright View Post

Yes there is the rarity factor of Waterloo's atm so I see nothing wrong in anyone trying to make back what they paid if they move one on, maybe even a little bit more.
But this persons asking price is ridiculous imo, I'm glad nobody has bought it off him at that price it only encourages them.
How is it immoral? I haven’t looked at the ad since this thread started but it seems to me the guitar was described accurately. Reverb has pricing history available for any prospective buyer.

Unless you have inside information that the seller has sworn up and down to his wife that he’s trying really hard to sell that guitar, I don’t see how morality is involved. Even that would be more like a little white lie that many relationships endure.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 07-22-2022, 05:56 AM

Exclamation

Quote:

Immoral????

I hope you're not following the Rolex market. Lol.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
How is it immoral? I haven’t looked at the ad since this thread started but it seems to me the guitar was described accurately. Reverb has pricing history available for any prospective buyer.

Unless you have inside information that the seller has sworn up and down to his wife that he’s trying really hard to sell that guitar, I don’t see how morality is involved. Even that would be more like a little white lie that many relationships endure.

Ok so maybe not immoral in the literal sense of the word - no it isn't evil, sinful, etc but it is greedy, very greedy and as such I hope nobody buys it at that price.
I have no horse in this race, but it is just plain wrong in my opinion.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:41 AM

As much as I truly madly love equally my Waterloo WL-14 X braced and my Waterloo WL-14 Ladder braced......would I pay $US7500 for each?

Hmmm.....

They are very unique....I like jumping between the X and the L and each is travelling different sound paths as they age, maybe I would have to decide on ....gulp.....One only?

So I have owned them for a few years each now and they are now part of my DNA, but if I had to choose just one, I would go for the

Some history.......I played an X braced at a shop 4 or 5 years back and I didn’t have cash at the time. It sold almost as I left the building! Even in those days, there were not many around and the shop had no more on the horizon, so I found mine in the next state and broke all my rules about buying online unplayed. It was love. And the setup out of the box is still the same today.

I swore to myself that the X braced would be the one and I didn’t need the ladder braced one that appeared at a shop near me.....and didn’t sell at all for many months! I had a Martin OM on consign that nobody seemed to want, so I swapped it for the Ladder plus Hiscox case. It was love, as well. But it did need a setup and got one!

But $7500 x 2? Aye Yye Aye Yye......that is in new Lowden territory...phew.

BluesKing777.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
I once had a J-200 that he had previously owned, and it was an awful guitar.
Haha! I'm guessing you're glad that you didn't pay $18000 for it. I mean, I hope you didn't

To the topic at hand, I am glad I bought my Waterloo before prices started going crazy. I only had a certain amount of cash to spend and was lucky to find one after being in the market for a while. I'm happy to have it, it makes me smile when I play it.

The $7500 ones are highly unlikely to sell at that price. I've seen several go through the classifieds here that were IMO fairly priced. Waterloos are finely crafted instruments made of high-quality materials. I don't think it's unreasonable that they're now in the same price range as Gibsons, etc.
Fender EJ Strat

Last edited by joeappel; 07-22-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:56 AM

All my guitars are for sale. The only question is if anyone is willing to pay what I'd want to part with them.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Ok so maybe not immoral in the literal sense of the word - no it isn't evil, sinful, etc but it is greedy, very greedy and as such I hope nobody buys it at that price.
I have no horse in this race, but it is just plain wrong in my opinion.

Reverb has 18 various Waterloos listed today, so the drought could be over for Waterloo gassers. Well, 18 will level off the prices!

In my neck of the woods, the rush on budget acoustics at a shop near me has stopped, expensive acoustics are just sitting there now. Before, people were buying pretty much everything, in a panic. Appears to be over and now they will feel confused, some leave the guitars leaning against the wall, some in the shed and others......sell! Interest rates are climbing here, house sales slowed.....etc

BluesKing777.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

It's immoral for someone to overcharge for the basic necessities of life (food, water and shelter) in times of a disaster.

Setting a ridiculously high asking price on a guitar (or any other non-necessity) is not immoral or unethical. A guitar is not a necessity. You may WANT that particular guitar, but you don't NEED it. If the asking price offends you, the simple solution is: Don't buy it. There are plenty of other guitars available at fair prices.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:33 PM

Default it is supply and demand

Immoral, unethical, humm,....seems to be what capitalism is all about, supply and demand. Waterloo production at a near stand still, so prices for used have sky-rocketed up. But as we see the crazy high priced ones are not selling, just waiting for someone with way too much money to want one, but that is not happening. I bet those crazy high priced ones are just people who decide why not just put an ad in reverb, nothing to loose, maybe someone will actually pay the price??

So like it or not, it is how it all works. I say wait it out, with interest rates and inflation high, and recession looming, I think the seller's market for guitars may be turning around and the tide is going out. When markets crash, they go fast, slow rise and fast crash. Lot's of price reduction guitars showing up now on AGF forum classifieds, guess we will see.

But for you waterloo fans who are wanting a wl-14XTR with a LR baggs in excellent condition for sale that is still available for $2200. Not trying to spam, no affiliation with seller, but if anyone wants to look into it, message me here and I will pass on the info your way. He says he got it for a great price and is just passing it on to next person.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion