The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-07-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
Beautiful!

I did consider the harp uke. I think the tone is exactly what I'm looking for: nice bass resonance, nylon strings, etc.

But I do too many jazz or jazz-influenced songs. I need more than 4 possible bass notes, and probably need the ability for chromatics on a low E string. If Emerald had a 6-string baritone ukelele..............

...I'm probably going to jump on the Outdoor Guitar soon. Probably the closest I'm going to get.
I completely understand!!

However, I must say that the Harp Uke might be the funnest instrument I have bought in a while!

While it is limited to the 4 bass strings one can tune them as they see fit for a given song.

Here's an example of Jans lowering the bass strings a half step and the high G to F# to come up with this beautiful arrangement...

Last edited by dgaemc2; 10-07-2023 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Updated content
Old 10-07-2023, 09:16 AM

Also beautiful!
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 10-07-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
Also beautiful!
My goal is to learn that one all the way through. Work in progress!
Old 05-16-2024, 04:33 PM

Default Updating the Thread, Closing the Loop

I've put the X20 Nylon up for sale 3 times, it's never sold for what I hoped for, and each time I think about lowering the price to make it easier to sell, I play it again and realize I really do like it and would miss it.

I sold my Cargo...maybe miss it a little bit, but not really. When I want to play a steel string, the X10 makes me happy. I may anger some purists out there, but in the Guild vs Martin vs Taylor very broad strokes spectrum, the X10 strikes me as rather Taylor-ish. Very easy to play, brighter sounding.

The Cargo was great for how good the sound was for how small it was. So, yeah, I miss it for portability, I guess? But the X10 has the Krivo humbucker and the midi output, so I feel like I can do so much more with that if I ever want to.

So for travel, I have a Outdoor Ukulele's carbon fiber Outdoor Guitar. I keep it tuned to E standard and it works fine. It's my car trunk guitar, too.

When I play the X20 Nylon now, I don't know why I ever thought it didn't have a nylon sound. Maybe my ear has just gotten used to it, dunno.

The biggest problem I have right now is the X20 Nylon, X10 Slimline Nylon, and X5 Nylon are all just *slightly* different in feel, tone, and function, but all still good enough that I can't identify one significantly better to be my main guitar, or one that's significantly worse to be sold.

I guess that's a good problem to have.

The most recent acquisition is a Kestrel. I guess I violated my promise to not get any new guitars for 5 years, but someone had it for sale for fairly cheap, and made the persuasive argument that you rarely see one for sale.

I very nearly got a Composite Acoustics Blade instead...I had one before, and it's loud enough to practice without an amp. But there's usually one for sale, I can always get one later if I miss it that much. The Kestrel just got in, and I'm glad I got it. It's the acoustic/electric archtop I had always hoped the Rainsong JZ1000 was, and better as an acoustic than the Blade, so I made the right choice.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 05-16-2024, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I am seriously jealous of your Kestrel acquisition. I would dearly love to add one to my collection, but just can’t justify the price tag right now.

Patience, David, patience
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, emerald, nylon acoustic, x20