The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Daves has a handfull of 000-28 and OM-28s in stock including some Modern Deluxe OM-28s. Wildwood has a whole page of Custom Shop 000-28s. Fullers has them as well. There are plenty of 000 and OMs out there. Get the one that fits your needs, not what happens to be in stock at one store.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-14-2024, 09:32 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Big fan of the Modern Deluxe features... would definitely recommend looking at any of the MD models if the budget allows...
Old 05-18-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
A dilemma: You could have the 000 today. If you wait to A B it to the OM it might get sold. But it sounds like you're lukewarm on the 000. I'd take it off the table. When the OM arrives it could be an absolute gem. Now what? I think the battery location could be adapted to an eventual replacement pickup / preamp. It makes the location and appearance less of a problem for me. I wouldn't be replacing it unless it died which could happen but how likely?

If I were in your shoes and the OM sound worked for me, I'd have the shop order a straight up accustic OM. I had a 21 for a while and it was just wonderful. Unless in the unlikely event it arrives with a defect it's hard to see how you could go wrong.
I think this is what I'm going to end up doing. They said one arrives in August with a small chance it might arrive earlier. It's just gonna be a struggle to go 2-3 months without an acoustic guitar!
1990 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2006 Fender Strat
2022 Fender Telecaster Vintera Road Worn
1956 Fender Stratocaster Replica
1967 Fender Bassman
Handmade Marshall JTM45

"Losing love is like a window in your heart. Everybody sees you're blown apart."
Old 05-18-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I typically like short scale, if it is available. However, I ended up in a choice situation with both the OM28 and the 00028 available and was able to compare them side by side. I found that the 00028 had a mid-focused sound and the OM28 had a more balanced sound with a little more sparkle on top. I went with the OM28 and haven't been sorry.

Now, about the pickup: The guitar I bought didn't have a pickup and I haven't put one in it. I use it mostly for studio work and around home. I didn't want a pickup. You might ask the dealer if he could order an OM28 without the pickup and give you right of first refusal on it.

I've developed more and more patience as I've matured and it has served me well.

All the best and enjoy the process.

Bob
I'm not a big sunburst Martin fan but holy crap your OM is making me change my mind.

BTW, I read your review for your OM-28 last night. From one writer to another, I love your writing style and thoroughly enjoyed your review
2006 Fender Strat
1967 Fender Bassman
Handmade Marshall JTM45

"Losing love is like a window in your heart. Everybody sees you're blown apart."
Old 05-18-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erodr133 View Post
I’m on the final stretch of picking out my next guitar and I’m torn between a OM-28 and 000-28. I’m leaning towards the OM-28 because I love the projection and brighter sound a longer scale length affords me.

However, here is my dilemma. My music shop has an OM-28 arriving in the next couple of weeks but it’s an OM-28E with an LR Baggs Anthem. I don’t mind electronics and the Anthem is probably my favorite acoustic pickup system. I just hate that stupid black plastic on the bottom of the guitar. Now I admit, it does make changing the battery much easier but my worry is that it has to affect the sound of the guitar when you take a huge chunk out of the sides of a guitar and put plastic in its place. Also, this will be forever guitar. I’m worried in 20, 30, 40 years should the Anthem become obsolete, there’s no reversing its installation.
Sorry but I think the dilemma is that you're overthinking this. First, there is no "huge chunk" out of the sides, or anywhere on an OM-28E. The battery compartment doesn't affect anything. Next, it seems that the quandary is worrying about what might happen in 20, 30 or 40years from now.

You found a guitar that you state ticks all the boxes and sounds great. That's all you can ask for. Maybe if you put a substantial deposit down, they will hold the current guitar for you until you can compare it to the one coming in.

Quote:
..... It's just gonna be a struggle to go 2-3 months without an acoustic guitar!
This is easily solved by going to a pawn shop, Craigslist or....? and buying a used guitar that you can sell without loss when you make a decision.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:40 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
I'm not a big sunburst Martin fan but holy crap your OM is making me change my mind.
Yeah, blame it on Vince Gill.
Quote:
BTW, I read your review for your OM-28 last night. From one writer to another, I love your writing style and thoroughly enjoyed your review
Thank you. What kind words!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-18-2024, 06:44 PM

Boy, I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that guitars are all individuals and you really want to play them before you buy them. No two OM's are going to be the same. I had the opportunity to buy a new OM-42 from the factory, because I was working on a project with Martin at the time. They had 8 brand new OM-42's waiting to ship and Dick Boak picked what he thought were the two best and I made the final choice. Of these two best guitars, one was the clear winner. There was quite a difference between the two and they came off the same line at the same time with the same materials and the same folks building them.

My preference is for an OM because they have more projection and punch in a general way because of their scale length, but they do ask a little more of your fingers.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-18-2024, 07:39 PM

I went with an OM because I have mostly played Fender scale my whole life (25.5")... I own four guitars and three of them are 25.5"..I finally got a little 00-18 for sitting around writing at home and it is a lot of fun, but yeah, it doesn't project like the OM18 or 28....

I find I have too peek more often when I am switching back and forth a lot...when I just play OM scale, I don't have to look very often anymore..just a muscle memory thing. Remember, if you're gonna put a PUP in something your personal feel is way more important than anything
Old 05-18-2024, 07:41 PM

Check out the Elderly customs…000 and OM. They have thinned Adirondack tops and bracing, Golden Era bracing, and are superb instruments. I have the OM and am thrilled with it beyond words.

It’s my third attempt at an OM28, and it’s staying right here!
Rb
Old 05-19-2024, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m on the final stretch of picking out my next guitar and I’m torn between a OM-28 and 000-28. I’m leaning towards the OM-28 because I love the projection and brighter sound a longer scale length affords me.

However, here is my dilemma. My music shop has an OM-28 arriving in the next couple of weeks but it’s an OM-28E with an LR Baggs Anthem. I don’t mind electronics and the Anthem is probably my favorite acoustic pickup system. I just hate that stupid black plastic on the bottom of the guitar. Now I admit, it does make changing the battery much easier but my worry is that it has to affect the sound of the guitar when you take a huge chunk out of the sides of a guitar and put plastic in its place. Also, this will be forever guitar. I’m worried in 20, 30, 40 years should the Anthem become obsolete, there’s no reversing its installation.

Now, there is a gorgeous sounding 000-28 currently at the store that I spent a few hours today playing. It checks all my boxes. It looks great. It sounds great. I’m just concerned I might regret not getting an OM-28 because my opinions on that a piece of plastic are wrong. I could wait for the OM-28E to get in to the store but I run the risk of someone purchasing the 000-28 while waiting. This has been a long rambling way to ask: Does anybody have any experience with Martin guitars and the electronics compartment they use on their guitars affecting the sound?
Just curious. Are you willing to open up your search beyond this one particular store?

If so, there are plenty of dealers with OM-28s in stock. Most of those dealers offer an evaluation period, too.

The OM-28 is a very consistent build from Martin. I would not hesitate to order one without playing first.
Old 05-19-2024, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

I wanted a Martin with electronics. I'm a Fishman Aura lover. For my money, it's the best
fastest way to get quality tone into a PA.

Nothing I could play close. I drove an hour to Mass Street Music in KS. To play the Martin's they had in stock.

An OM-28, and a 000-18. I loved the tone of the rosewood 28, but liked the shorter scale of the 000. So I went home pondering. I could get the Aura system in the OM-28 Standard Series. But would have to jump up quite a bit in price for a Modern Deluxe 000-28 to get an Aura system.

I settled on the OM-28e, then within a couple years, my curiosity got the best of me. So yes, I bought the 000-28e Modern Deluxe. So now I have both.

The Modern Deluxe has the same 1/4" bracing as the OM. Acoustically, they sound very similar. The OM has the Aura Enhance pickup, while the 000 has Aura Blend. They are different. You'll want separate channels if running a two-guitar gig.

Myself, I find I reach for the 000-28e Modern Deluxe 1st, every time. It's just perfect for me.

I find the battery cover to be a nice addition. But, speaking of the battery. There is no indicator for battery life. If you let your battery die, it will emit a tone, around F5 on a piano.

Kind of annoying. Of course, I always install a new battery before a gig so this only becomes an issue at rehearsal.

All my Martins have some iteration of the Aura system in them. My first experience with Aura technology was on a Gibson J-185ec. Which was my main stage acoustic for over 10 years.

The Anthem in my J-200's and Hummingbird are not bad, just different.

I installed a K&K in my J-185 1952RI, have regretted it ever since.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Get the guitar that you want. You can always address the electronics later. I have an OM and a 000 and I like them both and would be hard pressed to choose between them.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-23-2024, 10:26 AM

A pristine 2010 OM-28V just came up for sale that’s within my budget. How does the OM-28V compare with the new OM-28’s? Is it worth it to get new over used? Keep in mind the Mod V neck doesn’t bother me at all.
2006 Fender Strat
1967 Fender Bassman
Handmade Marshall JTM45

Old 05-23-2024, 04:15 PM

If this is a forever guitar, make sure you get the exact guitar you want. Waiting a few months will make it worthwhile when you receive it and you have no regrets or things about the guitar you don’t like. A year from now you will be glad you did. You have indicated you want a bright sounding instrument. If you haven’t played one try a modern deluxe 000-28 or OM-28. They are beautiful guitars that can be very loud and bright. They cost a little more, but might be worth it in a forever guitar. Whatever you do, take your time and get the guitar you want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion