The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineGuy View Post
That's the one I'm after...
It's a good choice. I'm going on 400 gigs since Feb. '04 with it. It's never even needed a truss rod tweak. It will need a fret job sometime in the coming year. I compared it with the standard Sitka. The adi offered more headroom which is perfect for chords. The price isn't cheap, but it'll save you time and money trying to find a guitar that equals it.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 AM

Whoa ... I'm going to log off before I spend $3000+
on something I don't need, can't afford and could never do justice to.
Happy hunting!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammieplaya View Post
Whoa ... I'm going to log off before I spend $3000+
on something I don't need, can't afford and could never do justice to.
Happy hunting!
No kidding right?

My advice is go with your gut! I went with my gut and bought a guitar sight-unseen and couldn't be happier. Take a chance and do what feels right. Buy one on Ebay. Buy one from the shop down the road. Just whatever you're at peace with.

Dang... I sound like a hippy. *in half-stoned voice* "Just do what you want man... It's all good. If you're happy, I'm happy. Your heart, man... It knows the truuuuuth."
Old 04-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Peer pressure sucks.....

I should be playing...

======
Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Have you considered a Larrivee? I know it is not the Adi top, but their spruce/hog OM's sound fantastic. As for a singer/songwriter guitar, check out Brian Martin's CD "No Rider". He uses a Larrivee OM-05. Sounds great as a compliment to the voice. They also have some Italian spruce tops in their line (can be found at Wildwood Guitars - the one in Ohio). Larrivee's have a good price, solid build, excellent detail and craftsmanship, great sound. A lot of guitar for your money. Check them out!
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks Mike! I've actually owned a few Larrivee's including an OM-05. They are fantastic guitars! Solid builds and great north American craftsmanship! I'll try to seek some out with different soundboards...

I should be playing...

======
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM

Default Adi/Hog back at you.

I'm liking my OMC-18 LJ,......... a lot. I only have compared it to a couple of versions of the OM(C)-16, and an OM-18V, which are definitely worth looking into as good guitars for the money, especially if you find a used one. It has wonderful tone whether picked or strummed. Be sure to have fairly new strings on when you try them. The V-neck on mine, takes a little getting used to though. Don't really need the cutaway, ...yet. A deep body model OM with a sunburst might be kind of neat too. There's also a lot of nice 00's or GCs out there if you can try them out in person.
Whatever you do, don't let anyone convince you to try out the Red Spruce/Madagascar version of whatever guitar they have. You might start losing sleep at night (instead of sheep you'll be counting "One OM-28 Marquis Madagascar, Two OM-28 Marquis Madagascar, Three OM-28 Marquis M......").

2010 Martin OMC-28M LJ #218 (D-TAR Dual Source, and Solstice)
2008 Martin OMC-18 LJ #23 (K&K Pure Western)
2004 Martin DM (Fishman Matrix, and Pro EQ II)
2004 Taylor 314 (K&K Pure Western)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM

I can't wait to see what guitar you end up with! I'm sure it will be a great one. Be sure to post some of your work, as I really dig some of the influences you listed.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

If you can find one, try a Merrill in adi/mahogany. I think he makes one of the best OM18s in the world.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM

You can't go wrong with a Collings!

I would still suggest you give the Bourgeois, Santa Cruz and H&D a run though. They all produce top quality guitars but have varied signature tone. I've played a Bourgeois Vintage OM with Carpathian spruce top and EIR back/sides which I totally enjoyed. It had the appointments I really liked such as the pyramid bridge as well. Couldn't afford it at that time. I think ultimately, no matter which builder or what wood is used, you kind of have to play the exact piece to know if it does it for you. Isn't that part of the joy of buying and playing guitars?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Eastman E10OM. It's shortscale, by the way.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM

Had a Santa Cruz OM Adi/ Hog. It was fabulous, probably better than my current
Braz/Adi and Braz/ german spruce OMs.

I have never heard any OM from any builder with that combination of sparkle, rumble, and roar.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM

just went on a road trip to try several guitars to compare to my h and d om adi/hog tried all the boutique brands along with martin taylor and gibson and to my ears i wasnt able to find a guitar better than my h and d. this was after a trip intended to find a better guitar. they are all great guitars and i guess everyone has a different sound they are looking for.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM

I'd say that a Bourgeois OM in mahogany is defintiely worth a look, but have you considered someone like Rod Schenk. His basic spec Ophirio model (very much an OM) starts at $1990 with sapele back and sides and Adirondack spruce available for around $200 as an upgrade, I believe. I played one that TAMCO imported into the UK and thought it was fantastic value for money. It sold quickly and I'm kind of hoping it'll come up for sale as a used guitar soon. I've just played a slighlty more upmarket Schenk with a price of around 4400 I think and again was impressed by it. I'd say it's definitely worth a look.

Bourgeois JOM custom - Adirondack/koa
Brook OM custom (maybe!) - Bubinga/Sitka
Lowden F 25th anniversary model - European/Brazilian
David Oddy J - Englemann/Brazilian
David Oddy mandocello - European spruce/flame maple
David Oddy A4 mandolin
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Hi Richard,

Its back! Take a look at my Schenk or used guitar pages.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000-18ge, adirondack, collings, mahogany, om1a