The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetaylors View Post
what the difference between akg 240 and AKG K240 MkII? or the AKG K 271?

Those are all around the same price.....

http://www.djdeals.com/akgK271MKII.htm
The K240 MkII is an updated version of the 240 Studio. The latter continues to be offered at a lower price but has the same basic specifications as the updated version, making it a good value. Visually, one has gold-colored accents while the newer one has silver-colored ones and a slight difference in the headband.

The AKG K271, unlike the other two, has a closed back making it less likely that a microphone will pickup sounds being reproduced by the headphones. It's frequency response extends farther at the high end, though both 240 models' range extends beyond the limits of human hearing.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 PM

I just got a K271 MKii.... amazing, exceeded all my expectations.
Miles ahead of the HD280 pro in every way... looks, comfort, accuracy, etc..
Old 11-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

goodcans is worth a visit now and then

http://www.goodcans.com/

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The K240 MkII is an updated version of the 240 Studio. The latter continues to be offered at a lower price but has the same basic specifications as the updated version, making it a good value. Visually, one has gold-colored accents while the newer one has silver-colored ones and a slight difference in the headband.

The AKG K271, unlike the other two, has a closed back making it less likely that a microphone will pickup sounds being reproduced by the headphones. It's frequency response extends farther at the high end, though both 240 models' range extends beyond the limits of human hearing.
QUestion about the akg k271......

If the microphone will less likely pickup the sounds reproduced by the headphones, does that mean that 240 is better quality of sound? gives a truer sounding headphone)
Old 11-19-2010, 10:39 PM

What he means is that a closed back headphone prevents sound from leaking out of the headphone where a sensitive mic, like a condenser will pick it up and record it. This is important for tracking (listening to yourself while recording).

I just bought the K271 mkii today, I've had a lot of headphones. They are the truest I have ever heard. Great balance, flat response, separation, and clarity.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:03 PM

you convienced me to get either 240 or 271....

I want headset's where I can block out train nose, because I listen to music on the train...and I want to block out the outside noise...

and also to hear myself play guitar at night.....when I have my guitar connected to the k4 preamp..

so which one is the winner?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:15 PM

I've never tried the 240's so can't help you there.

Headphones I've owned personally are BOSE on and in ear, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, GRADO SR-80i and SR225i, AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-M20 and 50...

Depends on what you need it for, I haven't been following the threads original query... but I'd say the 271 is a perfect all rounder for someone who listens to AND makes music... I think the 240 is open..?
If so, it doesn't make it so versatile. Can't really track on open headphones. And it's not going to block out sound well on your train rides, it will also annoy people if you are in starbucks or something chilling...
Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 PM

I really like my beyer dynamic DT 770 pro's. I've had an older model of sony mdr's, and although they sound good, I find them to be too bright for mixing/editing...not accurate enough. I also have shure e3 (too muddy) and eytmotic research er-4's which I really like also, but use them primarily with my ipod/IEM

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 11-25-2010, 09:52 AM

is the akg 271 mkii too big to wear on my daily subway ride? would I get weird looks?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:49 AM

The AKG's are kinda big.

I also recommend looking into the SRH-840's from Shure and ATH-M50. I actually went a bit headphone crazy and got these ones just these days...

The SRH-840 are about as amazing as sound quality goes for studio monitors. The ATH-M50's sound similar.

Interesting how they're all supposed to be flat, and therefore all sound the same. Yet every company's idea of a "flat response" is different.

If you want something to do double duty in enjoying music (not just studio use) I actually don't recommend the AKGs. The Shures or Audio Technica ones I mentioned have a bit more punch - very noticeable.
I'm even selling my audiophile headphone GRADO SR225i cause I now enjoy music more with these studio monitors.

As far as how they look. The ATH-M50's are the least bulky of the bunch. Having said that a little kid got so excited at my huge headphones today while wearing them grocery shopping he almost jumped on me.
So yes, I do think some people might find it weird. But it's not abnormal. It's just like wearing a suit; once you're used to it and feel comfortable in it, it shows, and others feel comfortable seeing you in it.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 AM

funny how after all these replies I finally decide to read the topic post.

You were considering Dr. Dre!?? NEVER...

They have currently taken over BOSE as "headphone brand audiophiles hate most". If skull candy's weren't so cheap they'd also be a high contender in that pile of hate.

Dr. Dre headphones are a good example of how a strong marketing campaign combined with very well planned product placement and flashy designs goes a long way. Well, for the average consumer who does not do as much research on headphones as you... and instead get drawn in by hype.

The problem with most mass consumer headphones such as BOSE and DRES is that they colour the sound in a way that is easily accessible. However the coloration is not balanced, it gets old fast... company's like GRADO are like the Beatles, it doesn't smack you in the face with its awesomeness but it ages well and can grow on you. Dr. Dres = Current Brittany Spears.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:15 PM

Since you mentioned your concern twice regarding "is it also good for listening to music". I'm going to further clarify my recommendation that it's the ATH-M50's you're gonna like. This comes from first hand experience in basically every headphone brought up in this thread.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:12 AM

After reading a lot of threads, I figured it out. I think...

Denon D1100......Bass is better than M50s....and lighter, and smaller. And looks quite classy....

Any negatives ?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM

Better?

Does that mean more accurate? Bigger? How did you figure it out?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Location: Where the blue sky leads me to follow the golden horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattChen View Post
I just got the HD280's and am undecided whether I like them.

They are very isolating so it's good for tracking, especially at the price point. But I feel like it's a bit muddy, not clear...so I'm not sure if they are good "reference" headphones...
they are not good reference cans.
they have a spike in the low mids and the top end is moderately low tech.
basically they are designed for the type person that would say, "i need to feel the bass".

if you are serious about trying to mix with headphones, then my advice is to get some Tannoy 501a monitors instead, as you really cant mix on headphones because the stereo field is artificial.
The 501a monitors are the best low cost "pro" monitors you will find unless you get into some real money and get some Focals or some Dynaudios or some Adams, ect.

however, if you are decided to use cans to mix, then get AKG 701s or 702s and a good cost effective headphone amp from Headroom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD