The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-13-2024, 05:27 AM

A laminate "wood" should not crack. It's rather it *can't* crack out of sheer dryness. Was it kept in a very cold storage room, then moved to an extremely hot area, while being played in an aggressive way?
If so, perhaps yes
Is it very old?
Did it have a hit?
This would increase the probability for cracking of it. Otherwise, the main reason for using laminates in musical instruments is their stability while changes in humidity appear.

Lester Young and Ted Wilson

Last edited by Henning; 05-13-2024 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:14 AM

more photos.....
https://postimg.cc/BtTdBnvn

https://postimg.cc/87xSnngp

https://postimg.cc/V54ccNPH

https://postimg.cc/k6fYLBRQ

sorry but good photos inside are difficult

the back is relatively straight. the soundboard at the strings is distorted . and contrary to common sense, it didn't pull the soundboard closer ? I see no evidence of any distortion on the sides.

How did the soundboard 'cave' around the crack area? The harp is folding, but backwards? My common sense is stretched out.

it's improving ie becoming straighter with some humidity and with no string tension.

I think it's beyond just patches and needs some serious vertical braces running at least half the length of the soundboard. That probably will effect sound.

My question is what's the best way to brace it? I'm thinking two braces running on each side of center at least as long as twice the distance between the crack and the base? Then patches between those?

good thing I don't play it often.....thanks
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 05-13-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning View Post
A laminate "wood" should not crack. It's rather it *can't* crack out of sheer dryness. Was it kept in a very cold storage room, then moved to an extremely hot area, while being played in an aggressive way?
If so, perhaps yes
Is it very old?
Did it have a hit?
This would increase the probability for cracking of it. Otherwise, the main reason for using laminates in musical instruments is their stability while changes in humidity appear.
"this a'int a top of the line quality harp, is it? Or at least not the most valuable instrument?"

are you doing a survey ?

the laminate soundboard cracked from pure dryness while stored in it's case. As i said twice....it's a 40 year dusty strings....cost $800 in about 1980 in ashland oregon. It's lived in mexico for most of it's existence....would you like to see a receipt ?
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 05-13-2024, 05:37 PM

ok...got a handle on the geometry. The box is solid and square. there's no folding of the soundbox. the soundboard is bowed outwards , bowed most at the position of the crack along the string line...obviously...and gradually lessens the greater distance until at the top and bottom, the width is almost horizontally flat....a little bow. So I've got a pretty badly bowed soundboard...that's failing. Man I hope I'm not cornered with a wood screw repair job !
...my first guess is get the soundboard straight, then lightly fill the crack(s) with epoxy. then add two sturdy braces on both sides of the string tie off strip, as close to the vertical center as possible, with support patches.Then make a jig that prevents bowing , and test it....see if it holds. I'm unconcerned about aesthetics even if it has to wear a brace forever and tune it down two steps.
or something more elaborate?
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings

Last edited by kurth; 05-13-2024 at 07:35 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair