The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Not trying to be snarky, but if you don't restring your own guitar, you deserve to pay whatever the shop charges. Personally, I find restringing my instruments to be kind of therapeutic. It relaxes me. Well, except for the *#%^ing slothead.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 05-12-2024, 07:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

We get a TON of simple string changes in every week, it is not a long time on the bench but it can muck up the works and make the repair pile very unwieldy for unknown amounts of time. Some people are quicker to drop off than they are to pick up! We charge $20 labor plus strings, so average person pays $30-$35 plus tax (we don't carry Elixer anymore)

We also always clean and condition the fingerboard and wipe down the guitar, as a courtesy. Anything involving actual fret work automatically bumps a job up to "set up" which of course costs more and is more involved in every way... though we will usually check neck relief during a string change and make sure that we might not want to do a little tweak, if it will help the guitar out in any small way.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 05-12-2024, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

My luthier only charges $45 for a setup, so yes $40 to change strings sounds high to me. I can change a set of strings in minutes if that is all I am doing.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-12-2024, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

If I had to pay for all the string changes I've done I'd be broke.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:58 PM

That’s ridiculous. You should learn how to restring a guitar yourself as it’s really not difficult. I don’t know where you are located but if you were near me, I’d change your strings for free and show you how.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:04 PM

The price for the Elixir strings isn't to bad. I paid $16 about 2 months ago.

The shop I go to charges $45 for the labor to change strings. But they do a thorough cleaning. Oil the fret board if required and polish the frets. They will also adjust the truss rod and shim the saddle if needed.

They go over and above on service.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 05-12-2024, 09:09 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
I think the biggest mistake is they should have warned me.
Or you could have asked. Like you I’ve been around the sun more than a few times. One of the many lessons I’ve learned is to constantly keep track of any jeopardy I put my wallet in.

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 05-12-2024, 09:21 PM

While I agree with the replies above - especially the one that says "do your own darn string change!" - I can't help but agree with you; $40 is too much. A token "feel sorry for the guy who can't change his own strings" fee should be like, $20. Especially if they want your business going forward.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
While I agree with the replies above - especially the one that says "do your own darn string change!" - I can't help but agree with you; $40 is too much. A token "feel sorry for the guy who can't change his own strings" fee should be like, $20. Especially if they want your business going forward.
I don't get the sense in that. If you work for $_ per-hour, you should take half that out of sympathy, and hope to continue to get paid half of what you are worth in the future?
Old 05-12-2024, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I’ve never paid for a string change as I string 20 guitars every 4 months on a Saturday morning and it takes me 3 hours. On the other hand, I pay $40 to wash my car and that takes virtually no skill and about the same time as restringing a guitar, so I have no problem with a skilled tech changing $40 for something that takes up bench space and bumps other repairs.i also agree to ship your guitar back to Taylor and get it done by them.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
That’s ridiculous. You should learn how to restring a guitar yourself as it’s really not difficult. I don’t know where you are located but if you were near me, I’d change your strings for free and show you how.
I do know how to string a guitar. I had called ahead to have a minor setup done which on arrival I was told was not something he could do there. So, since I had called ahead I had him restring it to see if lighter strings would cure the setup. It didn't.

Seems many on here are confirming $40 isn't crazy. Next you're all gonna tell me something like it costs more than $20 to go out for a steak dinner.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

That seems high to me, too, at first anyhow.

But then I seldom spend any less than 1/2 hour at it even with my trusty power winder. Once the old strings are off and the guitar is naked:
- Clean the headstock and soundboard
- De-grime and furniture-polish the fretboard
- Apply a tiny bead of graphite powder/olive oil mud in each nut slot with a toothpick (I bend notes brutally and like to stay in tune).

Sure, #3 above is my own "custom" step, but does the shop do any of that stuff?

Whether they do or not, it's a professional courtesy to disclose the price up front.

But I also believe in caveat emptor, as in ask first.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-12-2024 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:59 AM

My advice is to learn how to do everything you can yourself. I can do complete setups at this point. The only thing I haven't tackled is fret work. I have found that it's best to do your own work because you actually care about your instruments, and most of the shops I have dealt with in my life ultimately do some hack work because they are in a hurry or for whatever reason.

As far as $40 for a string change, that's twice what you would pay in my market (Raleigh, NC).
Old 05-13-2024, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSD View Post
Are you the original owner? If so neck resets are free from Taylor. Even if you aren't the original owner it would be well worth the $240 to have it done; your R. Taylor would get a complete spa day including a fret dress, nut/saddle adjustment and new strings....

One of the joys of owning a Taylor with the NT neck is never having to live with a guitar with a neck angle that's off.

Best of Luck!

Scott
Just last week I handed in my Taylor for a Neck reset. I am the original owner, but reset is not free (in my case ~100€) and he will put on some new strings...for free Charging 40$ for string change I find quite stiff. Not sure that qualifies as good customer care...
Old 05-13-2024, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

The day I pay someone else to change strings on my guitar will be the day they have to pry the money for it from my cold, dead hand…

I taught myself to change strings back when I was 14 years old and just starting out on guitar. I remember clearly doing one string at a time, and copying the way to thread and secure a string by studying the ones already on the guitar. I’ve done every change since then myself - must be in the thousands by now - and, 63 years later, I’m not about to start paying someone else to do it.

If a 14-year-old, green-as-grass kid could work it out, anybody can.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion