The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2024, 01:53 PM

Good reminder for me that next week marks 6 years since I bought my 00-18, hadn't been searching for one, just killing time in the music shop, couldn't put it down and knew that I had to walk out of the shop with it or bitterly regret it. Never think about replacing it, occasionally think about adding an Atkin to the fold but certainly won't cry salty tears if that doesn't happen, I'll just continue to appreciate them from afar and live vicariously through other forum members Atkin purchases - I'm happy with my workhorse '69 Martin.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I was thinking that we could try celebrating people KEEPING/PLAYING their acoustic guitars rather than only celebrating new guitar purchases.
Happy to oblige. I still have the (bought new) 1979 Yamaha FG335 that was my first "real" guitar, after a cheapo Harmony cheese slicer my parents had. I gigged it for years, until around 2014, in fact. I still have the 1981 Martin HD28 that was my first "high end" guitar (bought used in ~1990). In fact, I still have all but one of the 8 acoustics, 4 electrics, 2 basses and 1 mandolin I've ever bought (an Alvarez-Yairi 12 string I sold because I just wasn't playing it).

I've never been a flipper or tone chaser. Guitar purchases only happen every few years at most, often with decades in between. (I know, I'm a weirdo on this forum .)
Old 05-13-2024, 03:19 PM

Hm. Not something I think about. I couldn't tell you when I brought home any of my guitars. Not even the years, except for one I got this spring. That'd be 2024.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:39 PM

I like the idea.

NGD posts can be OK, but often they celebrate aspects of guitar ownership I don't care for (looks, vintage cred, collectability, name on headstock) rather than how the guitar SOUNDS, or the music that the owner can now experience as a result of the purchase.

Nine days ago I celebrated my first Larrivee purchase of 43 years ago.
Wonderful to think about the playing that ensued, the performances where people came up to inquire about this unusual-sounding instrument, the recordings that went that much easier because of the balanced response.

And the cutaway.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-13-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Interesting that you've mentioned this. I am in the process of writing an article like this about a guitar I have owned for forty-six years and that is fifty years old this year. Now it is an electric guitar, but I've always thought we needed to highlight the ones that panned out and stuck. The stories behind these are at least as interesting.

Bob
Posting it here? Can't wait to read it.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I've had my guitars for twenty, ten, four, and one years. I very much wish I had a Martin from when I was twenty. The longest lasted twenty five years. Not only are the guitars changing, but the player does too.

There are a wide variety of folks here, from I bought my D 28 in 67 and it's been my only guitar, to the true addict that jeopardizes his financial well being. There is a lot of happy medium in the middle. Had I the means, I'd certainly have more guitars, but my tastes have made more buying less likely.

If you don't have someone wanting to take worldwide vacations, you likely have more to spend on guitars. Maybe your significant other wants a 39 D 28. Lucky you, particularly if she just got a real estate commission for selling a $20M mansion.

I do believe I'd still have that 60 year old Martin I'd bought new. It's how I roll. YMMV. Keep in mind how long guitar builders would last if there were 90% one and doners out there.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-13-2024, 06:16 PM

My Martin 000-15m is coming up to its 7th GAD. I bought it about a month into playing for what at the time seemed an extraordinary sum for an instrument but later ended up one of the cheapest guitars I have purchased. It’s a really lovely guitar, the only one I still have left, and I can’t see myself ever parting with it.

I recorded some music for the first time in a while tonight - a cover of Bob Dylan’s Silvio. I think I can do better but I had a blast singing it. What a fun song!

https://voca.ro/1kGkW72BsXHt

Old 05-13-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I was thinking that we could try celebrating people KEEPING/PLAYING their acoustic guitars rather than only celebrating new guitar purchases.

Maybe we could have GAD (Guitar Anniversary Day)?
What about having people celebrate NCD (New Chord Day), and then compare the number of people's NCDs to NGDs. I estimate that quite a few people will have more of the latter.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! I like hearing these musical “partner in crime” stories.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the thoughts! I like hearing these musical “partner in crime” stories.
Great idea, and it would be of interest to a lot of us that look at diverse topics here on AGF.

The problem is that there are a whole bunch of attributes that we could feature as the reason for posting other than an anniversary, which most of us wouldn't remember actual dates to anchor an anniversary.

I'd suggest simply titling the initial first post as "OGD" rather than "NHD", for obvious reasons. If you start an actual "OGD" topic you can link to this topic to explain the origin story. It would quickly gain momentum as folks figured out what it was.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:08 PM

Bought my '67 D-35S in 1973, my Guild F-512 in 1974, had my Gallagher G-71 Special built to my specs in 1976 (ordered it Dec 1974, took delivery in 1976). Seems like I bought my Takamine EF508KC about 2010 and the first acoustic I've built was about 7 years ago.

Yes, I keep guitars a long, long time.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 05-13-2024, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Great idea, and it would be of interest to a lot of us that look at diverse topics here on AGF.

The problem is that there are a whole bunch of attributes that we could feature as the reason for posting other than an anniversary, which most of us wouldn't remember actual dates to anchor an anniversary.

I'd suggest simply titling the initial first post as "OGD" rather than "NHD", for obvious reasons. If you start an actual "OGD" topic you can link to this topic to explain the origin story. It would quickly gain momentum as folks figured out what it was.

Good suggestion. Perhaps FGD “favorite guitar of the day.”
Old 05-13-2024, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Good suggestion. Perhaps FGD “favorite guitar of the day.”
I can think of three that couldn't be my "favorite of the day" because I no longer own them, but they had great past meaning in my life and a good story to remember them by.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:14 PM

Looked, up my Fender Affinity Strat Serial number CY3XXXXXXXX
So its a 93-94 model so its 30-31 years old... Time Flies ;0

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 05-14-2024, 03:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
Posting it here? Can't wait to read it.
I'll probably post it on my website and point to it from here. It won't be small.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion