The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

In for information.

I have good home insurance with State Farm, but my guitars and gear could be anywhere I may go and I have no coverage outside of my home.

I never knew such a thing existed, though I should not be surprised.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:20 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Since we live in a fire zone I sleep better knowing my gear is insured !
Bingo. Many folks misunderstand the value of insurance. They think they only cash in if there is a claim. Nope. Everyone of those better-sleeping nights is valuable…at least to me.

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 05-12-2024, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
In for information.

I have good home insurance with State Farm, but my guitars and gear could be anywhere I may go and I have no coverage outside of my home.

I never knew such a thing existed, though I should not be surprised.
It costs about 250 bucks a year, and well worth it.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I think that is a smart approach. I have a guitar that was mistakenly put through the baggage tumbler by Delta Airlines and it resulted in neck cracks on both sides at the nut. I decided not to use insurance and covered the cost on my own with the luthier who made the guitar. It wasn’t a costly repair and certainly not worth losing my coverage over.
Best,
Jayne
I had Delta damage an SKB case. The case was destroyed but guitar came through it unscathed. SKB warranted the case but I incurred a seventy dollar shipping bill. I filed a claim with Delta and they promptly reimbursed me for the shipping and $25 for handling. They just wanted the flight number, a copy of the baggage tag, some pictures of the damage and the receipt for shipping it. Two weeks later I got a check.

I have a no deductible rider on my homeowners for certain items and musical instruments is one of them. I don't think it would cover them if I were buying, selling and shipping them, but I'm not really doing that. It covers damage and theft though. I've never had to make a claim on the rider though.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 05-13-2024 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I got dropped by Heritage and so have 3 other people I know, most for a single claim. They were pretty high dollar claims but it's just part of the deal I guess. I switched to Music Insurance Pro where the agent joked that a lot of their business is from people dropped by Heritage. These guys are all just brokers selling policies from insurance companies. So I had a Great American policy with Heritage and when I got dropped and switched to MIP I got a policy from....Great American.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

As others have said, I basically see my Heritage policy as protection from a total loss. Getting a guitar stolen at a gig, someone breaking in and stealing all my stuff while I'm away on vacation, instrument lost in shipping, fire, things like that. If I manage to do major damage to a guitar, I'll have to evaluate that on an individual basis and decide where to go from there. But I do agree that the peace of mind is totally worth the cost of the insurance premium.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-14-2024, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I got dropped by Heritage and so have 3 other people I know, most for a single claim. They were pretty high dollar claims but it's just part of the deal I guess. I switched to Music Insurance Pro where the agent joked that a lot of their business is from people dropped by Heritage. These guys are all just brokers selling policies from insurance companies. So I had a Great American policy with Heritage and when I got dropped and switched to MIP I got a policy from....Great American.
LOL!!! This is great info. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion