The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 03:53 PM

I have smaller fingers so I'm not sure 1/16" at the saddle would affect me. It is a big difference to me at the nut. I can deal with both 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" nut widths but I think 1 23/32" is ideal for me. Anything wider than 1 3/4" is a deal breaker for me.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-07-2024, 04:11 PM

I definitely can tell the difference. My attitude is if there wasn’t a difference they wouldn’t make them different sizes.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Yes, but, in my experience, it is a combination of specs that can make it feel noticeable or transparent. Besides nut width, there is neck shape, neck taper, scale length and string spacing that might also come into play. The more that I switch back and forth between guitars that vary regarding these specs, the less that I notice the differences.
Best,
Jayne

Same here. I’ve gotten more used to switching guitars. It can take a few songs to get used to the switch, but I do.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Another yes for me, I have average hands so 2 1/8 is too narrow and 2 4/16 too wide. Ive owned them both but the one that works best for my fingerstyle is 2.25 with a 1 13/16 nut. At the nut I have the nut cut so ther is 1/8 between the string, and the edge of the board. I suppose there is no 1 right spec for everyone but that is what works best for me by my experience.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

When I was doing a lot of fingerpicking it made a big difference - definitely noticeable. Now that I'm not, no difference at all for strumming or picking out lead lines with a pick.

-Ray
Old 05-07-2024, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I have large hands (long fingers) and play fingerstyle, and string spacing makes a big difference in how cleanly I can play. I have a couple guitars with smaller (what used to be standard) spacing and I keep them because they are special but I can't play my best on them, nor are they as comfortable to play.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:12 PM

I definitely have felt the difference of 1/16” at the other end of the neck, the nut. For twenty-five years my only guitar was a classical with a 2” nut. When I decided to have a steel-string built, I had to choose a nut width. My luthier made models with 1-11/16, 1-3/4, and 1-7/8 nuts available for me to try. I was a little surprised that the 1-7/8 nut was too wide with steel-strings. The 1-3/4 felt just right, and the 1-11/16 for me was unplayable. After playing steel strings for years now the 1-11/16 is now fine, but I can still feel the difference.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
For me nut width is the most critical,
1 & 11/16" "rhythm" necks - no good, 1 & 3/4" at a pinch, 1 & 13/16" ideal.
Neck depth and profile also significant.
KString spacing - 2 & 1/4" no good, 2 5/16th Ok on short scale (24.875") , 2 & 3/8" ideal on standard scale (25.5").

These measurements may look strange to you 14 fret users, and this is why all my flat tops are 12 fretters.
11/16" no good ? tell that to Tony Rice, if you could...
Old 05-07-2024, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulton2431 View Post
11/16" no good ? tell that to Tony Rice, if you could...

Evidently Tony only plays rhythm guitar.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantex View Post
I’ve been wondering the same thing. I currently play a Taylor with a 1 11/16 nut. I ordered a Larrivée 00-40 with a 1 3/4. I hope it makes a difference since I’m trying to play more finger style. A little more clearance will be nice.
Nut width is its own dimension, but the contribution that nut width makes to string spacing is the relevant dimension. String spacing is what the fingers feel. The first guitar I made had a 1 11/16" nut width (Thanks CFM) but the strings were spaced apart the same as a nominal 1 3/4" wide nut. You can do that when you cut your own nut slots. It works fine.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:03 PM

I have 6 guitars and couldn't tell you what the nut width is on any of them, and I built two of them! That's how little it means to me; it's a guitar so I just pick it up and play.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 05-07-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I have 6 guitars and couldn't tell you what the nut width is on any of them, and I built two of them! That's how little it means to me; it's a guitar so I just pick it up and play.
Gotta love this. The corks are still in the wine bottles!
Old 05-07-2024, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I don't notice the difference much, I'm not sure why. Some people are sensitive to all these dimensions and I certainly believe their concerns. For whatever reason, I am not bothered too much by changes of nut width or string spacing at the bridge even though I am a 95% finger picker player.

I seem to adapt, but then that is mostly my personality in life.

- Glenn
Old 05-08-2024, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I don't notice the difference much, I'm not sure why. Some people are sensitive to all these dimensions and I certainly believe their concerns. For whatever reason, I am not bothered too much by changes of nut width or string spacing at the bridge even though I am a 95% finger picker player.

I seem to adapt, but then that is mostly my personality in life.

- Glenn
I thought this for a long while. Then noticed that I did not play as cleanly on one of mine. I measured it: 1 11/16. My newest is 1 13/16, but that's because one of my fingers changed (arthritis). I am not convinced that helps, but it certainly has not hurt.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:42 AM

Yes that "little" difference can be a big factor to me ... so much so, in fact, that whenever possible I try to buy guitars with the thinner nut width. THere are a few guitars I'd like to buy but I know that wider (or standard 1.75 inch) will bug the heck out of me.

Two of my guitars have the 1.75-inch nut width. I've had my luthier buddy cut me a new nut with the strings slotted for a 1 11/16-inch spacing. That works somewhat but of course the physical neck itself is the same width and I feel it when I make, say, a G chord or similar chord structure.

So if I do find a guitar at a great price I may think about having him doing the same elective surgery.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion