The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 AM

I was down in Elkin, North Carolina this past Sunday - Tuesday to visit with Ken and to see a little progress on my 1937 spec D-18 build (Hooper #79). It was a fantastic trip. As I've said before, Ken is just the best. He's extremely kind and hospitable, and I learn a lot by listening to him and watching him work. It's also fun just hanging out and catching up. We had a lot of laughs. I was also able to meet up with a fellow Leftyfrets forum member, and together we had FOUR lefty guitars in Ken's shop. It was a fantastic trip.

Please follow the link in my signature for a few more photos of #79 coming to life.

Last edited by yukonkornelius; 11-18-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:16 AM

More photos @ www.georgeschneider.com

Old 11-19-2016, 08:23 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I'm very interested in your build and Ken Hooper in general, since I lived very close to Hell-Kin for about six years. Beautiful work.

That said, there is a much more important and potentially serious moderator-controlled infraction to address:

It is Holiday season and you have not posted a pic of your avatar yet. I will rectify this for you:

Old 11-19-2016, 08:35 AM

Haha... Actually, as much as I like like guy, he wasn't the inspiration for my name. I'm 37 now, but back in my college days I was a HUGE Dave Matthews fan. His bassist, Stefan Lessard, had a side band with some other guys from other famous bands. They played at ski resorts in the winter during their downtime from their "main" gigs. Their band name was... you guessed it. YK.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonkornelius View Post
Haha... Actually, as much as I like like guy, he wasn't the inspiration for my name. I'm 37 now, but back in my college days I was a HUGE Dave Matthews fan. His bassist, Stefan Lessard, had a side band with some other guys from other famous bands. They played at ski resorts in the winter during their downtime from their "main" gigs. Their band name was... you guessed it. YK.
Too funny, I didn't know that.

Somewhat related, I first saw DMB in 1992 with about 35 people at a place called The Mad Monk in Wilmington when I was in HS. The main question was, "why is that guy wearing pajamas?" I bought RTT and never looked back. I'm 40 this year, was a freshman at Washington and Lee when UTTAD came out, and then everyone had heard of him. The cat was out of the bag. I have a copy of the W&L Kappa Sigma bootleg lying around somewhere. I still have a bunch of friends in Metro-Lex, including my parents, and a guy named Burr (who maybe is a member of the forum datzus1) as well as acquaintances with Randall and Brian from Rockbridge guitars. I used to have one of their 000s and sold it in moment of weakness.

SW Virginia is a really small place philosophically. Glad to know about Stefan and the YK connection.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:36 AM

Awesome history right there. I've seen him 52 times, met him twice, ,have tattoos that he drew, he once called my mom to say hi (long story) and I drove to Charlottesville from NY, just to have a beer at Miller's. That's my mile long (18 year) history pretty much summed up in one sentence. LOL. I've grown apart from his newer stuff, but BTCS and earlier are still some of my all-time favorite albums.

Back to Ken.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Cool thread and great pictures on your website! Thanks for giving us a view of your journey.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 11-19-2016, 02:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for sharing this build. I am making something in the same mode at the moment and it is an interesting contrast for me.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Cool thread and great pictures on your website!
Thanks!
Old 11-19-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Thanks for sharing this build. I am making something in the same mode at the moment and it is an interesting contrast for me.
Cool! I look forward to seeing the photos!
Old 11-19-2016, 07:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Cool! I look forward to seeing the photos!
No wait required, it is documented in my nearby "blog-thread" starting on post #184. I have put what I expect to be the last (seventh) coat of Oil Varnish on just today, so it'll be a couple of weeks before it's actually strung.

A year and a half ago I played a true 1937 D18 at the Grass Valley Bluegrass Festival that is in very nearly perfect condition. It was gifted to the owner. To me, it had the kind of tone I want a dread to have, no mud at all, and quite a good balance with a lot of volume. It is very much the target I have in mind for my project, and I imagine that is what you and your builder are after as well. Best of luck to us all!
Old 11-19-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
Thanks for humoring my detour George!

Wonder if Ken has ever done a small jumbo. I'd love to see someone come from the "Martin" aesthetic construct with an Olson dimension in mind. . I feel like Dave has a guitar similar to this. Ken should build one!
Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 AM

Old 11-24-2016, 08:50 AM

Old 11-24-2016, 08:51 AM

Here is a photo that Ken sent me. He closed the box on 11/22/2016

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop