The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

i not only would buy a used ca -- i did buy one used. i bought my cargo used from tarpman at laguitarsales, and am very happy with it.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 AM

I still have several new CAs, and I'm seriously considering hanging on to them. They are perfect for winter travelling. I certainly intend to keep a Cargo for myself and perhaps a Bluegrass model and a GX.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 AM

I have purchased two used CA's in the past couple of months. A GXi and a Cargo on line. Would not part with them at all.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 AM

I bought my CA 7iM CE from AGFer Jim Cannon about 1 1/2 years ago. I play out quite a bit in the Texas heat and I can honestly say I will NEVER sell this guitar. In fact I have sold several other mid range (Goodall, Collings)guitars I've owned and really other than just wanting a wood guitar for it's beauty or prestige there is no reason for me to own any other guitar. This guitar is functionally and sonically superior to anything else I have played. No issues whatsoever. Unless it's been dropped from a building I don't see why any used CA that has been taken care of would have any type of problem. It seems to me that setting the saddle or nut heigth is about all you would need to do if it didn't suit your playing preference.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 PM

I have bought 3 CA guitars in the past year, all used. Not only have I been satisfied with them, I find myself playing my old Martins less and less often. The CA guitars are extremely under-rated sonically in my opinion. The folks who say CA instruments do not stand up to the sound of wood guitars are hearing something I am not able to detect. They may be right, but to my ear the composite compares very well.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM

I have owned two CA guitars. I only sold my Bluegrass Performer because I wanted the smaller OX. The larger dread size was bothering my tendonitis. In saying that the Bluegrass got sold very quickly. I think that it is because folks know that these are quality built guitars that will last. As was said they are also great sounding guitars which sometimes people forget about! If I had the cash I would jump on a used Cargo!!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Did it twice. No problem whatsoever. Still have the Cargo.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

my suggestion would be to call THE PODIUM music store and ask to speak with Marty the tech. He did/does a lot of work on CA guitars and can fill you in quickly on what to look for.

I recently went thru a period of wanting a used CA Bluegrass Standard after playing it, but it did have a fret issue, the cost for doing a refret or cleaning this up since it had stainless frets was just too much. Other than that, it was a very nice guitar. I went back 3x to play that guitar and check it out-took tools and adjusted everything i could to see if i could get rid of the buzz, but it truly was an issue.

I would love to find a nice used one, loved that thing.

good luck
daryl
Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 AM

Just think, you could own a pre-Peavey CA!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
I bought my CA 7iM CE from AGFer Jim Cannon about 1 1/2 years ago. I play out quite a bit in the Texas heat and I can honestly say I will NEVER sell this guitar. In fact I have sold several other mid range (Goodall, Collings)guitars I've owned and really other than just wanting a wood guitar for it's beauty or prestige there is no reason for me to own any other guitar. This guitar is functionally and sonically superior to anything else I have played. No issues whatsoever. Unless it's been dropped from a building I don't see why any used CA that has been taken care of would have any type of problem. It seems to me that setting the saddle or nut heigth is about all you would need to do if it didn't suit your playing preference.
Now THAT IS a stellar guitar! Glad to see you still have it.

Jim Cannon (AKA Trader Jim) <><
Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathdo View Post
I have a CA prototype. I wouldn't part with it for anything. Got it directly from the factory about 6 years ago. It's the best recording guitar I've ever player or heard. I wholeheartedly say go for it.
Let's hear it!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 AM

I would have no issue buying a used one. However, since people have talked about neck relief being an issue, I would prefer to see the instrument first or buy with an evaluation period.

That said, I bought a new one, sight unseen, and have been very happy.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I bought three Cargos, one per year for three years in a row. I got them new, but they are used now. I still play them all the time.

On a more serious note...
Because of the various issues that have been discussed here and over at the MacNichol carbon fiber forums, I would say that it would be worth getting a used CA Guitar checked out before buying. this would only be to determine that there aren't neck and other issues from the factory. As others have said here, if it was good when it was new, it should still be just as good now. But if it had problems when it was new, then it will most likely still have those problems (unless the owner was able to get these addressed). Better safe than sorry. My guess is that most of the CA Guitars floating around are fine. We will hear about the problems in these forums and it will begin to sound as if all CA guitars have these problems, when in fact, they don't. But if there is a chance that you could get one that does have issues, it is best just to be sure before buying.

Tony
Old 08-24-2010, 12:23 PM

thanks much guys I'll have it checked out by a local store before purchasing
Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kero View Post
thanks much guys I'll have it checked out by a local store before purchasing
excellent idea.
think of these things:
1)make sure the relief suits your style of play, these do not have truss rods and you will have no truss rod adjustment available. The only adjustments for a setup on the CA is saddle height and nut slot depth.
2)i was told by more than one guitar tech who have worked on the CA guitars, to definitely have the frets checked as this can be a costly fix if need be(assuming they have the later used stainless frets)
3)some came with poor neck set angles

play it, make sure it suits your style, what you have is pretty much what you have-not a lot of adjusting available there.

good luck
daryl

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber