The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti814ce View Post
Hey now......... you know its never personal! I love Everyone Babes!
We are friends!! I offered to ride my mtn. bike down to B. Brothers for you!

Im just saying MJP, from an outsider standpoint listening, with all the trading and moments of ahhh haaa, it does seem to make sense that you would be well served to try something else at buffet table! Or not, I love my Taylors too!

Sammy
How'd that Martin slip in there??

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but Herb, your not trading your guitars off every week either. You are satisfied with your Taylors. Not that there is a problem with changing and or switching, but it doesnt exactly show satisfaction when you change guitars more than strings, I can see Jeff M's point.
Indeed.
It doth bespeek of not finding satisfaction with that which one is incessantly trading.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 01-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
How'd that Martin slip in there??
Well, I raced my Taylor against a Martin for ownership, with a tailwind and slippery hands (just ate nachos) the neck on my Taylor totally blew away the other neck's, it was just lightning fast that day! So I went to Buffalo Bros. and walked out with a Marquis , hope that helps.

(fyi, greasy chicken fingers can alter one neck speed as well!)

Sammy
Old 01-15-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Well, I raced my Taylor against a Martin for ownership, with a tailwind and slippery hands (just ate nachos) the neck on my Taylor totally blew away the other neck's, it was just lightning fast that day! So I went to Buffalo Bros. and walked out with a Marquis , hope that helps.

(fyi, greasy chicken fingers can alter one neck speed as well!)

Sammy
A follower of the Jaco Pastorius school of Guitar playing, I take it??

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
A follower of the Jaco Pastorius school of Guitar playing, I take it??
Indeed!

Sammy
Old 01-15-2008, 04:43 PM

Hi Matt -

I hear you man. I LOVE Taylors and played them (almost exclusively, except for a few Martins sprinkled in) for over a decade. It wasn't until this past year that I started playing Goodalls and I haven't looked back. To me, they embody all the wonderful properties that I like about Taylors (brightness, resonance, mids, etc.) but the Goodalls just seem to have so much more of everything that I love in the Taylors. Nothing wrong with staying with Taylors though, they are excellent instruments and one of the most played acoustics of pro musicians. You're in good company.

If you've tried all the others of the makers who are like Taylors on Steriods - e.g. Goodall, Froggy, etc. and still gravitate towards Taylor then go with your ears and heart.

Best,
Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Hi Matt -

I hear you man. I LOVE Taylors and played them (almost exclusively, except for a few Martins sprinkled in) for over a decade. It wasn't until this past year that I started playing Goodalls and I haven't looked back. To me, they embody all the wonderful properties that I like about Taylors (brightness, resonance, mids, etc.) but the Goodalls just seem to have so much more of everything that I love in the Taylors. Nothing wrong with staying with Taylors though, they are excellent instruments and one of the most played acoustics of pro musicians. You're in good company.

If you've tried all the others of the makers who are like Taylors on Steriods - e.g. Goodall, Froggy, etc. and still gravitate towards Taylor then go with your ears and heart.

Best,

+1 on this

Matt, you should really really really try a goodall....most taylor lovers love goodalls that much more
Old 01-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Seems like this has turned in a thread flaming MJP! I just wanted to see pictures of the Style 2
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 01-15-2008, 07:13 PM

I agree with YOU miteemike. I clicked on this thread to see R. Taylor Style 2, but a hockey game ..... I mean slugfest on MJP broke out..

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteemike3 View Post
Seems like this has turned in a thread flaming MJP! I just wanted to see pictures of the Style 2
I guess I am really unpopular on the forum as of late

Commissioned
Doerr Legacy Select African Blackwood/ Swiss (2011)
Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 PM

so... where are the style 2 pics?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 PM

Has anyone maybe thought that I might simply enjoy getting in and playing new taylors all the time??? It's like I have my own music store and I am the only buyer... Its a lot of fun, maybe more of you should try it before you knock it...

Commissioned
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJohnPaul View Post
Has anyone maybe thought that I might simply enjoy getting in and playing new taylors all the time??? It's like I have my own music store and I am the only buyer... Its a lot of fun, maybe more of you should try it before you knock it...
+1

more like a fun hobby than anything else.....folks can take their tone too seriously sometimes....
Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Winning!

hey MJ, off topic, but when you trade/sell, do you make a profit or loss each time? just wondering as i did exactly what youre doing now for the past few years, though with most of mine i bought with the intention to resell to make a profit. the last thing i bought was the R Taylor -had resale in mind, but fell in love with it and so it's become part of my trio of keepers now
Since the R Taylor back in May last year, I've chilled off buying anything mainly due to our Aussie currency going hardcore, which is perfect for buying, but a two edged sword for selling
You're right though, being young and commitment free, entering the guitarist's Toys R Us is alotta fun.

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reags View Post
hey MJ, off topic, but when you trade/sell, do you make a profit or loss each time? just wondering as i did exactly what youre doing now for the past few years, though with most of mine i bought with the intention to resell to make a profit. the last thing i bought was the R Taylor -had resale in mind, but fell in love with it and so it's become part of my trio of keepers now
Since the R Taylor back in May last year, I've chilled off buying anything mainly due to our Aussie currency going hardcore, which is perfect for buying, but a two edged sword for selling
You're right though, being young and commitment free, entering the guitarist's Toys R Us is alotta fun.

I loose money sometimes, make money sometimes, come out even a LOT of the time... The money just goes back into guitars anyways and I never come out to bad... So its a fun hobby

Commissioned

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion