The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Beautiful pics, Jim. Thanks for sharing. In the photo above, what a shot...I had no idea dolphins could leap that high out of the water!
So so silly...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
So so silly...
Tee-hee-hee!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Beautiful pics, Jim. Thanks for sharing. In the photo above, what a shot...I had no idea dolphins could leap that high out of the water!
Captain Jim probably doesn't have ski-jumping rabbits in Texas.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Captain Jim probably doesn't have ski-jumping rabbits in Texas.

Cracked me up! No, we don't have ski-jumping rabbits - the coyotes with hang-gliders have eliminated them.

The mouth is slowly improving - jaw still hurts but I'm back to eating almost normal. Thanks for asking.

Played the X20 this afternoon - did an hour of Beatles songs. Definitely not a fan of the Martin Lifespans. See what I did there - guitar content!
Old 10-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Guest 928

Yo! Captain;

I'm almost finished with Cat On A Leash. Knocks my socks off! Your animal history parallels ours, though ours be mostly with dogs. Last one died, we said never again--it hurt too bad. And then we got taken in by another living spirit, jasper, a dog, my Dali Lama. He's so much better than me.

But the most striking thing about your book is how closely it resembles other books by carbon fiber guitar owners. Your book, Jeff Farr's book , Canoe in Canada, and my book, Vanishing Village, are all travelogues. Quite different voices, quite varied geography, but all exploring new composite musical instruments.

The best part of this forum has been the fact that just about everyone here is a traveler. Composite musical instruments are a relatively new frontier and it appears that there are a lot of ways to get there. Keep on trucking......
Old 10-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Yo! Captain;

I'm almost finished with Cat On A Leash. Knocks my socks off! Your animal history parallels ours, though ours be mostly with dogs. Last one died, we said never again--it hurt too bad. And then we got taken in by another living spirit, jasper, a dog, my Dali Lama. He's so much better than me.

But the most striking thing about your book is how closely it resembles other books by carbon fiber guitar owners. Your book, Jeff Farr's book , Canoe in Canada, and my book, Vanishing Village, are all travelogues. Quite different voices, quite varied geography, but all exploring new composite musical instruments.

The best part of this forum has been the fact that just about everyone here is a traveler. Composite musical instruments are a relatively new frontier and it appears that there are a lot of ways to get there. Keep on trucking......
Thank you for the kind words, Evan. Yes, I think guitar players tend to be adventurers; maybe more so with those who have embraced carbon fiber. I've met plenty who enjoy traveling, RVing (beats traveling in a bus with a bunch of guys), boat cruising, flying.

I wasn't aware of your book, Evan, but I will check it out...

https://www.amazon.com/Vanishing-Vil.../dp/1935043196

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 10-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

Hope you enjoy VV as much as I've enjoyed CoaL. I highly recommend the Jeff Farr book noted earlier. I did not give the full title earlier, it is as follows: How to Canoe in Canada almost get killed by rapids, eaten by polar bears, have your blood sucked out by clouds of mosquitoes and other fun stuff! A True Story. The book is a bit longer than the title, is genuinely funny, and the author really does have a carbon fiber guitar.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

Hope you enjoy VV as much as I've enjoyed CoaL. I highly recommend the Jeff Farr book noted earlier. I did not give the full title earlier, it is as follows: How to Canoe in Canada almost get killed by rapids, eaten by polar bears, have your blood sucked out by clouds of mosquitoes and other fun stuff! A True Story. The book is a bit longer than the title, is genuinely funny, and the author really does have a carbon fiber guitar.
Thanks, Evan - another one to check out!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

A "rain day" today. It gave me a chance to try multi-track recording with the Zoom H4nPro. Lots of little buttons, dials, and options on this diminutive box, and I have to admit that, other than putting a few song ideas on it, I haven't used it much. This evening, I made this...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/w...ve-me-tomorrow

The guitar (X20 and vocal) were recorded with the stereo mics in front of the PA. There is another guitar in there on a third track - see if you can figure out what it is.

I downloaded Audacity and converted it to an MP3 file so it would upload faster to SoundCloud. It isn't a "finished project," but thought I'd share.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I enjoyed that, Jim. In fact, I haven’t had this song by the Shirelles in my inventory, so I just added it to OnSong. Thanks for sharing. I also listened to your rendition of Van’s Wild Night, enjoyed it and added it too!

No serious guesses on the other guitar, but I suspect it might be the X7.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:38 AM

I had to listen to all of the sound files. What is the guitar on”Cool Change” I would guess your Taylor?
Contrasting Wild Night with Cool Change
I would guess Wild Night is the X20 and Cool Change is wood guitar or not (Taylor)?
I
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 11-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
I had to listen to all of the sound files. What is the guitar on”Cool Change” I would guess your Taylor?
Contrasting Wild Night with Cool Change
I would guess Wild Night is the X20 and Cool Change is wood guitar or not (Taylor)?
I
The other recordings of mine on SoundCloud were done to fulfill a request from the Blonde, prior to having either of the Emeralds; a Taylor 522ce 12-fret was used. Those other files were done with the mic on an iPad Mini, sitting a few feet in front of the Bose. Not particularly sophisticated. Easy enough to change the tone from song to song, right on the guitar.

My wife requested some more recordings, so I'll be working on more. Last night when she listened to this latest one, she said, "You need a cajon to add some percussion." (Not to be confused with cojones)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

Thank you for sharing your music. Such sharing is always risky of course because some idiot will probably feel compelled to critique the effort. Humbly, I jump into the breach.

I like just about everything in this recording. I love the song choice, the guitar, and the singing. But, I think the guitar is eating your vocals. Can you, with your equipment, put the guitar under the vocals?

I hope this doesn't offend you, it's meant in the spirit of fellowship and common goals.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Not offended at all, Evan. Joan made the same comment. I will give playing/singing directly into the H4nPro a try one of these days and have the ability to change the volume on either guitar or vocals. These were recorded together in stereo off the mics on the recorder... sitting near the floor (the recorder, not me ). The "jangly" sound on that recording is the GSmini with Nashville tuning.

In the meantime, here's another from that same session with the X20 yesterday, but added another track with the X7 today...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/the-letter

String change today on the X7...

That sweet little guitar hasn't had fresh strings since last spring, before we left on our trip this summer... and it got plenty of play-time since it was along for the ride. Puts some zing back in it - I let it go a bit too long between changes.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Guest 928

Jim;

One reason that I moved to nylon strings was that with steel string guitars, in moments of great enthusiasm, my guitar out-voiced me. Nylon strings sort of mellowed me out.

It was a matter of volume. Nylons are softer sounding, mellow, and work well with my kind of vocals. I can still beat myself up with the guitar, but as I've listened to myself through out the years I've come to recognize that there is a symbiosis between the instrument and the human. That's not saying that I'm good at either.

But I have reached the point where I can now play steel string guitars without hurting myself--I think it must be some kind of art. Excuse the meandering.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber