The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Thanks Aki. I looked that Eventide and didn't see an analog delay setting. Is that "vintage" on it?

Also when you set a tempo via tap tempo on one patch and switch to the another patch does it keep the tempo you set or do you need to tap the new patch as well? I understand why someone would want a presaved tempo but in the real world if the band never seems to play at the same tempo at practice and I'd love to have a global tempo feature that does not require that I tap it in each time I switch.

Also, what expression pedal do you use with it?
Yeah, you can set a global tempo that overrides the saved tempo in each patch. The vintage delay is supposed to simulate old analog delays.

I didn't use an expression pedal with mine but you can use an Ernie Ball VP or Boss VP as well as a host of other ones. I'm more of a "program your patch and be done with it" kind of guy instead of a tweak within a song guy. That is unless I'm tapping in tempos.
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 06-20-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
Yeah, you can set a global tempo that overrides the saved tempo in each patch. The vintage delay is supposed to simulate old analog delays.

I didn't use an expression pedal with mine but you can use an Ernie Ball VP or Boss VP as well as a host of other ones. I'm more of a "program your patch and be done with it" kind of guy instead of a tweak within a song guy. That is unless I'm tapping in tempos.
Thanks again man, so helpful....well you've done it I cancelled my order for the two replicas and am going to give the Eventide a try.

So here's the latest and greatest now that I've had some time to play around with the stuff....ended up doing a little surgery on the team (not everyone made the varsity squad at least for what I'm looking for my ears). These guys are going off the board:

- FD2 (cool pedal but sounded a little sterile to my ears, not really 3D or jaw dropping)
- OCD (I really like this great pedal but sounds similar to my ZVex Box of Rock which I LOVE so no need for both)
- RV-5 (sounds are good, but really the modulation was the one I liked the most and found myself really loving and using the T-Rex Room Mate more which is breathtaking tone IMO)
- TU-2 (yes yes, it's an old standard but I decided to get a couple of strobe Turbo Tuner ST-200's which track crazy fast)
- DD-20. Not enough room in dodge for 2 sherriffs. No global tap tempo (I think), having to scroll through presets, and the need for an external foot switch which isn't a huge deal but a small burr on my board did this guy in)

So, here the latest team (some existing faces and some new) and my really basic thoughts, being the effects novice that I am and hope it helps in some simplified way to those considering any of these:

- Keeley 4 knob comp (I actually leave this off with my PRS since I think it sounds better without it and couldn't find any combo that sounded better than bypass)
- Fatboost3 (I actually leave this off with my PRS as well, bypass sounds pretty good)
- Keeley BD-2 Mod (I really don't use this that much but it's nice to have around as the big daddy high gain....and it's too late to return LOL)
- Paul Cochrane Tim (awesome OD that will stay true to your bypass tone)
- ZVex Box of Rock (awesome OD as well that has that Marshall, dials set to 11 sound really crisp even when driven and has a boost as well)
- KLON Centaur (I'm thinking about giving this "Holy Grail" pedal a try)
- Red Witch Empress Chorus (this tone is unreal when dialed in....love it, love it ,love it)
- T-Rex Room Mate (if you're looking for a great reverb this thing is so natural sounding, great tone, spectacular sound)
- Eventide Timefactor (call me Aki junior....the global tap tempo, midi controllability, 2 presets and tap tempo on face plus the great reputation sold me)
- Ernie Ball VP JR
- Musicomlab EFX II (I still need to figure out how to use the midi)
- Turbo Tuner ST-200 (wow this thing is fast an accurate)

So different from where I started just a few weeks ago, but fun to fiddle.....
Old 06-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
- FD2 (cool pedal but sounded a little sterile to my ears, not really 3D or jaw dropping)
- OCD (I really like this great pedal but sounds similar to my ZVex Box of Rock which I LOVE so no need for both)
- RV-5 (sounds are good, but really the modulation was the one I liked the most and found myself really loving and using the T-Rex Room Mate more which is breathtaking tone IMO)
- TU-2 (yes yes, it's an old standard but I decided to get a couple of strobe Turbo Tuner ST-200's which track crazy fast)
- DD-20. Not enough room in dodge for 2 sherriffs. No global tap tempo (I think), having to scroll through presets, and the need for an external foot switch which isn't a huge deal but a small burr on my board did this guy in)
Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of the FD2. Good but not great IMHO. Box of Rock is the best Marshall JTM sounding overdrive I've played by a long shot, and I've had a bunch of pedals trying to cop that sound.

Quote:
- Keeley 4 knob comp (I actually leave this off with my PRS since I think it sounds better without it and couldn't find any combo that sounded better than bypass)
- Fatboost3 (I actually leave this off with my PRS as well, bypass sounds pretty good)
- Keeley BD-2 Mod (I really don't use this that much but it's nice to have around as the big daddy high gain....and it's too late to return LOL)
- Paul Cochrane Tim (awesome OD that will stay true to your bypass tone)
- ZVex Box of Rock (awesome OD as well that has that Marshall, dials set to 11 sound really crisp even when driven and has a boost as well)
- KLON Centaur (I'm thinking about giving this "Holy Grail" pedal a try)
- Red Witch Empress Chorus (this tone is unreal when dialed in....love it, love it ,love it)
- T-Rex Room Mate (if you're looking for a great reverb this thing is so natural sounding, great tone, spectacular sound)
- Eventide Timefactor (call me Aki junior....the global tap tempo, midi controllability, 2 presets and tap tempo on face plus the great reputation sold me)
- Ernie Ball VP JR
- Musicomlab EFX II (I still need to figure out how to use the midi)
- Turbo Tuner ST-200 (wow this thing is fast an accurate)

So different from where I started just a few weeks ago, but fun to fiddle.....
So funny! Your rig is fairly similar to mine! Imagine that! I did a lot of pedal buying/selling/testing to get my board where I like it. Even though it changes a lot there are a select few that remain as my mainstays. The Musicom is a no-brainer. It's so easy to program and works amazingly well. It's such a well thought out, useful, compact unit. Perfect for any pedalboard. I think the Timefactor will work perfect with the Musicom as you can use a midi cable to switch patches with your loops. There are way more than just 2 presets. I ran a solid 5-6 different delays for different patches programmed on the Musicom.

Take a pic and show us your board when it's all wired up. I'd love to see how it comes out. I need to have a custom board made for my rig. Right now I can only fit around 4 pedals on the board with the Musicom, PP2, EB Jr VP, and the Nova System. With a nice custom board I should be able to fit at least 2 more pedals. Maybe the Menatone 3 knob Red Snapper, Timmy or the Lovepedal COT50 will make an appearance.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of the FD2. Good but not great IMHO. Box of Rock is the best Marshall JTM sounding overdrive I've played by a long shot, and I've had a bunch of pedals trying to cop that sound.

So funny! Your rig is fairly similar to mine! Imagine that! I did a lot of pedal buying/selling/testing to get my board where I like it. Even though it changes a lot there are a select few that remain as my mainstays. The Musicom is a no-brainer. It's so easy to program and works amazingly well. It's such a well thought out, useful, compact unit. Perfect for any pedalboard. I think the Timefactor will work perfect with the Musicom as you can use a midi cable to switch patches with your loops. There are way more than just 2 presets. I ran a solid 5-6 different delays for different patches programmed on the Musicom.

Take a pic and show us your board when it's all wired up. I'd love to see how it comes out. I need to have a custom board made for my rig. Right now I can only fit around 4 pedals on the board with the Musicom, PP2, EB Jr VP, and the Nova System. With a nice custom board I should be able to fit at least 2 more pedals. Maybe the Menatone 3 knob Red Snapper, Timmy or the Lovepedal COT50 will make an appearance.
You know what was funny is that I was all set to take a picture and then I ended up changing a bunch of stuff

Well my pumaboard is almost ready and I'm going to wait till I get everything in prior to determining the hole placements. It's 28"x15" so there should be plenty of room for my pedals.

I'm wondering how I'm going to make the puma look clean with all these pedals...
Old 06-21-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering how I'm going to make the puma look clean with all these pedals...
If you drill holes for each pedal and route all the wiring underneath, it should look pretty clean if you have sufficient room for all the pedals. Lay all the pedals on the board where you want them (pedals with tap tempo in front, Musicom in front, VP on left or right depending on if you're left/right handed), make sure there's enough room for the plugs, drill and start cutting/customizing your cables. Test to make sure your cables work and are plugged into the right place. Begin programming and you're good to go!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
If you drill holes for each pedal and route all the wiring underneath, it should look pretty clean if you have sufficient room for all the pedals. Lay all the pedals on the board where you want them (pedals with tap tempo in front, Musicom in front, VP on left or right depending on if you're left/right handed), make sure there's enough room for the plugs, drill and start cutting/customizing your cables. Test to make sure your cables work and are plugged into the right place. Begin programming and you're good to go!
Thanks man! I set it all up like that on my pedaltrain (which is deeper and wider than the puma) and so it should work but I must admit I'm nervous about drilling....

Yeah testing each cable is key
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:

KLON Inbound!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:45 PM

How would you guys compare the following?

Tim
Lovepedal Eternity
Landgraff Dynamic OD
Klon Centaur

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
How would you guys compare the following?

Tim
Lovepedal Eternity
Landgraff Dynamic OD
Klon Centaur

Thanks!
Well, having owned all the above, I'd say they are all great pedals but do slightly different things better than the others. In other words, the strengths of each of those pedals are not the same strengths.

The Tim is a nice low/mid gain overdrive. It's pretty transparent. I had both the Tim and Timmy but sold the Tim since I didn't need the boost or loop features. The Timmy is sitting in it's box. There are other pedals that I'm using that I like a wee bit more.

The Lovepedal Eternity is also a nice pedal. Great bluesy lead sounds. Sings nicely.

Landgraff DO is a great TS derivative. I had a few of these a few years back. They are pretty versatile for a TS based pedal and don't have as much of a mid hump to my ear.

The Klon is really amazing with an amp thats already working fairly hard. It really blends in and sounds like your amp working harder but adds a little bit of color to it. Not a bad color though. That's what makes the Klon such a great pedal. It adds just the right sound to a great sounding amp.

Of the 4 pedals that you mentioned, the Klon is the one that I still have on my board. I still own a Timmy and would consider getting another handwired Eternity but the LDO has gotten a bit pricey for me. I know my descriptions of the pedals are a bit vague. It's hard for me to put into words what I think each pedal sounds like. I know what I like to hear but describing it is another story.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Well, having owned all the above, I'd say they are all great pedals but do slightly different things better than the others. In other words, the strengths of each of those pedals are not the same strengths.

The Tim is a nice low/mid gain overdrive. It's pretty transparent. I had both the Tim and Timmy but sold the Tim since I didn't need the boost or loop features. The Timmy is sitting in it's box. There are other pedals that I'm using that I like a wee bit more.

The Lovepedal Eternity is also a nice pedal. Great bluesy lead sounds. Sings nicely.

Landgraff DO is a great TS derivative. I had a few of these a few years back. They are pretty versatile for a TS based pedal and don't have as much of a mid hump to my ear.

The Klon is really amazing with an amp thats already working fairly hard. It really blends in and sounds like your amp working harder but adds a little bit of color to it. Not a bad color though. That's what makes the Klon such a great pedal. It adds just the right sound to a great sounding amp.

Of the 4 pedals that you mentioned, the Klon is the one that I still have on my board. I still own a Timmy and would consider getting another handwired Eternity but the LDO has gotten a bit pricey for me. I know my descriptions of the pedals are a bit vague. It's hard for me to put into words what I think each pedal sounds like. I know what I like to hear but describing it is another story.
Thanks Aki -

I'm really looking forward to trying the Klon when I get it this week. Based on my lineup here is how I currently have things set up based on what I've been able to figure out so far that sounds good to me:

Tim (low/mid gain)

Box of Rock (low/mid gain)

OCD (mid/high gain) - I'm getting the 18v cables hopefully soon and am anxious to try it out on this vs 9v that it's currently running.

BD-2 Phat mod (high gain)

I'm thinking the Klon will likely be in the low gain area. I haven't done much stacking yet as I've been spending most of my time really experiment and dialing in each pedal according to how my ears like them. That's next.

I'm totally digging the timefactor and especially love the dual delay features and the ability to program what the control pedal switch will do. I set that to tap tempo and left the switches on the timefactor on "bank" mode so I can quickly access my delays (I'm currently running 4 different delays so being able to limit the number of banks was also nice so I didn't have to scroll all the way to 10 to get back to 1). Global tap tempo is awesome. Sounds are great. Analog sounds good as well especially since the "vintage" tone can also be altered. For now, I haven't hooked up the midi to the Musicomlab largely because I really like the flexibility of choosing my tone combos separate from my delay patterns. Thanks for the suggestion man!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Well after some more trying and refining I made a few tweaks, including getting the RC Booster (WAAAY better than the Fatboost3 IMO - it's what I wanted a booster to be) as well as Clyde Deluxe Wah (wanted an RMC but several dealers dissuaded me stating that there have been some reliability issues with it).

Oh well, the PRS is on a sabbatical at PRS getting fit with 57/08's so I'm slumming it with the Anderson for a while

I'm very happy with the current lineup and will post a picture of it wired up on the new Pumaboard over the next few weeks.

Thanks again everyone. You've been a HUGE help!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Yeah, I love that RC Booster. Just picked up a used Psionic Audio Triad. Really hit or miss (mostly miss) getting a new one nowadays from the builder so I paid a bit of a premium for a used one. Great sounding preamp and boost and hopefully I'll be able to integrate the parallel effects loop if TC can put a killdry into their next firmware update. I also bought a used Melancon Pro Artist T. Killer sounding and playing guitar.

Check out that swamp ash!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I love that RC Booster. Just picked up a used Psionic Audio Triad. Really hit or miss (mostly miss) getting a new one nowadays from the builder so I paid a bit of a premium for a used one. Great sounding preamp and boost and hopefully I'll be able to integrate the parallel effects loop if TC can put a killdry into their next firmware update. I also bought a used Melancon Pro Artist T. Killer sounding and playing guitar.

Check out that swamp ash!

Congrats Aki - That is GORGEOUS!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Ok gang...

First of all I would like to thank you guys A TON for helping to shape and refine my decisions. I've learned alot and it's very much appreciated.

So here is my first move...

Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic
Body Finish - Light Tiger Eye Burst with Binding
Body Wood - Flame Maple Top on Alder
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple, Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Matching Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Low-Rise
Back Shape - Even Taper
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Vintage Tremolo
Pickguard - White Pearloid
Pickups - M1 M1 H2+
Switching - 5 Way, Add-Bridge, Kickback + VA Booster
Strings - .010-.046 Elixir strings
Comments - BFTS

Hey Gang -

I've fallen in love with my PRS (especially with the 57/08 pickups) so I'm not really playing the Anderson. She is up for grabs and in the classifieds. Here's a chance to save several hundred dollars on a killer "new" Anderson!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...73#post1901073

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:12 PM

Glad you're liking your stuff!

Did you say you were trying the Timefactor? How's that going?

I thoroughly miss my RC Booster... Great pedal!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification