The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-14-2024, 09:02 AM

My wife bought a used 2008 Outback in 2011.
Since then, we have replaced a CV boot, Head gasket, and oil pan gasket.
Older Outbacks have oil leakage problems and the automatic transmissions lurch on cold mornings.
Otherwise, we plan to keep it another 100,000 miles.
Odometer is currently at 102,000.
1965 Melody Maker
LP TV Special
SG Standard
Brondel Honeycaster Double cut
3 Teles
2 Strats
Jazzmaster
2 PRS
NIOMA Lap Steel
Supro Steel
Gibson F9 Mandolin
Kenny Hill Classical
Old 05-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Olympia View Post
I work in Subaru parts/service. I am not a fanboy, these are my real world observations with 35 years of experience in the automotive world.

Subarus are no better or worse than any other semi-premium import line. If well-maintained, they will run for as long as you want them to. That said, they have one of the highest scheduled maintenance costs in the industry. They do, however, have several weaknesses. First is the CVT transmission. This is not a "new design bugs" situation. It is an ongoing problem since they started using them. Newer Outbacks and Ascents are the current biggest problem. We currently have two in the shop getting new transmissions. The other two most common problems are wheel bearings and engine oil leaks. Replacing a wheel bearing out of warranty is a $500 job. The oil leak problems on the later model 2.5's usually require a cam carrier reseal to rectify. This is an engine out, $1500 job. If you are someone who keeps their car past the warranty expiration, you will end up with some big bills, eventually.

Personally, I would never own a Subaru with a CVT of any kind. My personal car is a 2019 Crosstrek with 6-speed manual. It is lacking all of the nanny features of the newer models, and I change my oil every 3000 miles in an effort to delay the inevitable leaks.

I know there will be the inevitable "I've driven Subarus for thirty years and I've never had a problem with one", but I work in a facility with a 20 bay shop and we see 20-30 cars a day. This is my daily life.
As a trained Subaru mechanic, can you share with us some of the internal discussions about the recurring issues that you see? Is Subaru addressing this somehow?

I have to say that I know many Subaru owners who've never had the issues you've described (myself included). I'm sure if there were that many recurring issues, Subaru sales would be significantly lower than they are year over year.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sarad View Post
My wife bought a used 2008 Outback in 2011.
Since then, we have replaced a CV boot, Head gasket, and oil pan gasket.
Older Outbacks have oil leakage problems and the automatic transmissions lurch on cold mornings.
Otherwise, we plan to keep it another 100,000 miles.
Odometer is currently at 102,000.
The head gasket issue is/was well known. According to my Subaru-only mechanic (independent, not dealer) this issue was rectified with the 2010 model year.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:38 PM

I ve only had this Outback for a few days ,so no issues. I 'm looking forward to having fun trips in it. I drive 5 miles to work each day ;til I retire in January. Bought it also for safety ;Grandkid on the way. Trying to decide on Sirius ,not a fan ,but better than FM.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I ve only had this Outback for a few days ,so no issues. I 'm looking forward to having fun trips in it. I drive 5 miles to work each day ;til I retire in January. Bought it also for safety ;Grandkid on the way. Trying to decide on Sirius ,not a fan ,but better than FM.
I had it for 3 months or so, gratis, when I bought the car. I soon found it very repetitive on the stations I used. I much prefer streaming and/or audio books.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Out of 5 Subies, Ive replaced two front wheel bearings. My mechanic got subaru OEM parts for $80, and it was $100 labor. Total less than $200 out the door. I dont question your experience, but cast doubt on your company’s pricing. And those two bearings were the ONLY repairs ever needed.
Real world numbers, taken from a random 2012 Outback I had on my screen this morning:

Front hub/wheel bearing assemblies: Subaru MSRP $269 each. Book labor time 1.5 hours. Shop rate: $185/hour. Total $546 plus tax.

Rear hub/wheel bearing assemblies: Subarum MSRP $275 each. Book labor time 1.3 hours. Shop rate: $185/hour. Total $515 plus tax.

If your mechanic charged you $40 per bearing, I assure you that he did not use factory parts, unless this occurred in the early 80's. In fact, the cheapest that I could find a front bearing for this car from any of the major aftermarket lines, was $138 for a Chinese import. And if he charged you $100 for the job... well, he's not making much money doing what he's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Heck, nearly every Subaru Dave sees is in the shop. That's his view.

However, it was my view about Toyotas when I was a young man in Arizona in the late 70's and our shop was FULL of them.
This is true, but when you see the same problem over and over and over again, you know they're not isolated problems. I worked for a Toyota dealer for seven years. There are several Toyota models that I would never own, as well. By far, the most reliable brand I ever worked for, was my 10 years with Mazda. Their product from about 2000 to 2020 was pretty much bulletproof.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 05-14-2024, 09:21 PM

Though I've only owned two Subarus in the past, I'm a big fan of the whole lineup and have lots of friends/family who won't drive anything else.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 05-15-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Olympia View Post
Real world numbers, taken from a random 2012 Outback I had on my screen this morning:

Front hub/wheel bearing assemblies: Subaru MSRP $269 each. Book labor time 1.5 hours. Shop rate: $185/hour. Total $546 plus tax.

Rear hub/wheel bearing assemblies: Subarum MSRP $275 each. Book labor time 1.3 hours. Shop rate: $185/hour. Total $515 plus tax.

If your mechanic charged you $40 per bearing, I assure you that he did not use factory parts, unless this occurred in the early 80's. In fact, the cheapest that I could find a front bearing for this car from any of the major aftermarket lines, was $138 for a Chinese import. And if he charged you $100 for the job... well, he's not making much money doing what he's doing.

This is true, but when you see the same problem over and over and over again, you know they're not isolated problems. I worked for a Toyota dealer for seven years. There are several Toyota models that I would never own, as well. By far, the most reliable brand I ever worked for, was my 10 years with Mazda. Their product from about 2000 to 2020 was pretty much bulletproof.
We go between the authorized dealer and a respected independent shop. The independent shop will not use inferior parts and prefers OEM for warranty. They send a text or email quote OEM Subaru parts at list price. Then shop for them in a competitive market. That's how those repairs cost less.

The two location authorized dealer sells discounted parts online. When we go there if for full service or my walking to service counter I show them their own much lower pricing for same stuff. Most of the time they match immediately.

The other thing the independent shop does is quote book labor but charges actual labor. Most of the time it means a lower final bill. More and more the actual Subaru dealer gives more competitive quotes.

Surry to burst your bubble, but lots of OEM parts are made of Chinesium too. China is the biggest auto market by far so it only makes sense stuff of same spec is made there. Subaru however does not manufacture there. Toyota who owns part of Subaru does and some parts are shared.

I'm really glad this competitive element exists and especially for how horrible the all of the auto industry did against others in recent years. I'm hoping it helps them be better.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I ve only had this Outback for a few days ,so no issues. I 'm looking forward to having fun trips in it.
Don't let somebody pee in your Wheaties, eyesore. They are very highly rated vehicles. ALL brands have issues.

Put a roof basket on it and don't forget the stickers.

Lots of stickers!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-18-2024, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

My sister-in-law bought an Outback ten years ago or more. She bought a Forester a few years ago and now her daughter is driving it the Outback. She has never had a single problem with it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-19-2024, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I had a 2007 Legacy 4-cylinder 5-speed. It really was a nice car with a supple suspension that handled nicely. At 70K miles I had weeping head gaskets and a leaking oil sump. I had been following the factory maintenance schedule closely and used the local dealer. I called Subaru to complain, since these problems are Abbey Normal for any car. They offered to pay for half, which I thought was fair. Somebody borrowed the car and I think they damaged the clutch. Again, Subaru offered to pay half.

One advantage of servicing at a dealer is if you're out of warranty, goodwill is much more likely to get approved. Just looking at service specials on a dealer's website will bring you good deals painlessly.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Don't let somebody pee in your Wheaties, eyesore. They are very highly rated vehicles. ALL brands have issues.

Put a roof basket on it and don't forget the stickers.

Lots of stickers!
Now there's a good answer, Thanks!
Old 05-23-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Now there's a good answer, Thanks!
Take it to the Blue Ridge Parkway in late October.

Every 3rd vehicle we saw was a Subaru.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-23-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Take it to the Blue Ridge Parkway in late October.

Every 3rd vehicle we saw was a Subaru.
Living around the BRP, every third vehicle IS a Subaru, period.

Year-round.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I had an Audi with great traction in snow. The only cars in my neighborhood that did better after a particular 3 foot snowstorm were the Subarus. So, when it came time to buy my first new car in 20 years it was an Outback. I'm at about 20K miles with my 2022. Great car. The Touring package includes a CD player, nice touch for the dinosaurs among us.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic