The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-12-2016, 02:30 PM

ES1 in both of my guitars. No issues whatsoever.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:20 PM

After a few years with my version ES 1.2 system in my GA8, I finally managed to hear that electric guitar sound others complained about. To get that sound I had to mis-match the impedance input into the front end of my amp to overdrive it. I then started experimenting after discovering this to see if there were other ways to do it. I was also able to produce it using a regular guitar TS to TS guitar cord. I was now providing a lower signal to the input of the amp and I was turning up the amps gain and volume to compensate. And the ones that complained about it were right about the higher up on the neck you played the worse it was!!

Again, I never had this issue and I play open chords all the way up the neck, but then I always connected to the amp with the impedance it was expecting.

Using a full balanced cord into a balance input of an amp was the most pleasing and fully acoustic tone. In using amps that did not have a balanced input, I used a impedance matching device like the pigtronix keymaster. I tried passive transformers but could never quite get the levels right, they always overdrove the signal into the input. The closest I came was using a TS to XLR female cord into a passive Sidekick Hosa DI box. Running it backwards actually. Using a TRS to XLR female cord with that box was way too much signal.

That is the only drawback to the ES1 versions. Taylor's attempt to keep things balanced and not realizing that most guitarists never, ever, think about plugging in worrying about matching up the signal to the input. They just want to plug in and sound good. I am a geek though so I read all the manuals and experimented like crazy to get my guitar to sound as good through an amp.....Any Amp, as it does on its own.

Almost all other guitar pickup systems know and expect an un-balanced approach to signal path to amp. Now Taylor has done the same with the new ES2 system. Enjoy!!!
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 08-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
I am a long time repeat customer and fan of Bob Colosi, so I ordered my saddle from him. http://guitarsaddles.com/

He makes them specifically for Taylor but it will require a bit of sanding and rounding the ends. Maybe 10mins of effort to get the fit you want. Once it was done it was a drop in. Next I just tightened the screws until I just started to feel a slight resistance and then fine tuned the string to string balance with an acoustic amp and an iPhone db meter app. Sounds great! I use an Xcelite P20 for the adjustments. I read that Taylor uses a special torque wrench for very precise ES2 screw adjustments during assembly. Would love to get my hands on one sometime.

Thanks! I have a Bob Colosi bone saddle that I ordered for my long-gone Larrivee D-04 but I never used it. The saddle, as designated on its bag, is actually for Larrivee, Taylor and Gibson acoustic guitars with 1/8-inch bridge-saddle slot. As you mentioned, I'd have to shape the saddle to size. I think the compensated bone saddle that can be ordered from Taylor for $29 is almost a drop-in fit but maybe the height would need adjusting.

After removing and reinstalling an ES2 sensor assembly out of curiosity, I adjusted the ES2 sensor screws by backing-off all sensors and then tightening them one at a time until I hear the amplified tone just becoming louder. I then advance all screws about 3/4-turn. I think Taylor's use of a torque wrench to set the sensor pressure is good for facilitating initial factory adjustment but once a guitar is out in the field and encounters temperature and humidity changes, and wood aging/settling, adjustment by ear is just as good as using a torque wrench. Likely the torque-wrench settings will be good for a long time but I think use of the device is really unnecessary.
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-16-2024, 10:59 AM

Default taylor 714ce pickup question

I just got a 714ce with the ES1 pickup. the guitar sounded unbelievable unplugged, but when amplified its REALLY bright, and a little tinny... even with the tone turned all the way down. there is also a little white toggle switch inside the guitar where the electronics are located (near the red light) what is that used for?

anyway, considering exchanging it for a martin which seems to have a fuller sound.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:24 PM

I believe the switch is to flip polarity. Try switching it, could make a huge difference.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanick View Post
I just got a 714ce with the ES1 pickup. the guitar sounded unbelievable unplugged, but when amplified its REALLY bright, and a little tinny... even with the tone turned all the way down. there is also a little white toggle switch inside the guitar where the electronics are located (near the red light) what is that used for?

anyway, considering exchanging it for a martin which seems to have a fuller sound.
Years ago (2010 I think), I played a 714 and loved the sound of it acoustically in a guitar store. I never plugged it in at that time as I was browsing. I eventually purchased an 814ce and I really enjoy it. I play this instrument unplugged and plugged depending on where I am. The ES 1 really sounds great in either a Fishman Artist, or running it direct into a PA. Most of the EQ is done at the amps and I usually run the bass and treble straight up on the guitar.

What are you plugging into?
Old 05-17-2024, 02:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

If getting the most natural tone is important, I should point out that the ES-1, being magnetic, does not play well with ToneDexter. The ES-2 however plays extremely well.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification