The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-17-2024, 03:53 AM

Default Blues scales

Does anybody have a recommended] book on scales for blues covering all keys and positions. I know you can transpose down the neck but it would be nice to get them also with pentatonic thrown in two. Many books would not show a c scale at the 1st fret for instance and many are very brief 30 pages or so in total.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey1959 View Post
Does anybody have a recommended] book on scales for blues covering all keys and positions. I know you can transpose down the neck but it would be nice to get them also with pentatonic thrown in two. Many books would not show a c scale at the 1st fret for instance and many are very brief 30 pages or so in total.
https://www.amazon.com/Pentatonic-Bl.../dp/1502941856
Old 03-17-2024, 09:47 AM

A good goal. It's kept many artists busy for a lifetime. The Rob Silver book looks good.

A few thoughts:

As you say, they're the same in every key. So I'm wondering why you want pictures of them in every key. It makes sense for keys and horns, where the scales are different in every key. But fretted instruments' advantage is that scales are moveable. Not a big deal. Just checking.

Also, keep in mind that there are more than one so-called blues scale, all variations or blends of the major and minor pentatonic scales. Southern rock, swing, Chicago, voodoo, and Delta, for instance, all sound different partly because the scales are different. And lots of artists invent their own. So don't settle for one scale. None is definitive.

A last thought: I've sometimes drawn my own fretboard scale diagrams. That way, I had exactly the information I wanted.

---------

PS - A post-last thought: Here's a trick. To see what the scale looks like down at the nut, use a piece of paper to cover all the frets to the left of the one where the root note on the low E string. The piece of paper becomes the nut, and you have an uncluttered view of the scale.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 03-17-2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:15 AM

Quote:
This information exist for FREE online. Search for the CAGED system for pentatonic scales. The blues scale = The pentatonic scale + b5.

Follow Me on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwR...J_vozU3kGd_YUA
Old 03-18-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD18DK View Post
This information exist for FREE online. Search for the CAGED system for pentatonic scales.

Bailey wants all keys. Don't know whether that exists. Since the shapes are the same in every key, I asked Bailey to talk about why all that is needed. Awaiting reply.

The blues scale = The pentatonic scale + b5.
Yup! That's one of 'em!

PS to Bailey: I notice that the Silver link doesn't number the frets. That means that every diagram is equally good for every key. As I mentioned, the fret to the left of the low-E (R) symbol can be considered the nut.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

bailey1959 : It's hard to tell how far along someone is when it comes to learning to play the guitar so if this 'old hat' to you my apologies but maybe someone else out there will get something out of this.

Scales can be 'folded'. Example of a C major folded scale. C, E, D, F, E, G, F, A, G, B, A, C, B, D, C. Learn to play it up and down.

Also learning different scales is important but can be boring. I find arpeggios are more fun to play and sound more musical. Lots of dominant 7 arpeggios in blues solos. Play them over a standard 12 bar blues backing track. IOW in E maj play Edom7 arpeggios over the I chord E, Adom7 arpeggios over the IV chord A, and Bdom7 arpeggios over the V chord B. Simple but opens up possibilities I think. Play around with different arpeggios and find what works for you.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes : Scales & Modes: Easy to Read, Easy to Play; For Every Instrument (Easy-to-Use), by Alan Brown & Jake Jackson.
Amazon $15. Great ,simple, logical. (Get the spiral bound version!)
Old 05-16-2024, 12:03 PM

Default bluescscales

Hi
thank you to all of you for posting appreciated.
I will look at all suggestions.
Cheers
Old 05-16-2024, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

loads of references on line.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...ge&form=rc2idp
Old 05-16-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
A last thought: I've sometimes drawn my own fretboard scale diagrams. That way, I had exactly the information I wanted.
I gone two steps beyond this: I bought a rubber stamp that printed a five-fret six-string "fretboard." I used this when I wrote out lyrics and then stamped a diagram where I wanted one, then filled in the notes as needed.

Even easier, I bought a program called Neck Diagrams (Windows/Mac) that lets me do it all - and in readable form (you should see my handwriting!). I can then print out a professional-looking chart of any song I wish to play.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

I've been playing with the "pentatonic edges"...

We always talk about "the pentatonic shapes".

To clarify... look at the 6th degree pentatonic edge,
the one that is all on the same fret, where the A shaped
chord hides.

This edge (and the other edges too) contains all five pentatonic
notes in the key you have chosen. The other two notes (4 and 7)
are right there too, always next to 3 and 1.

From a pentatonic edge (plus 4 and 7) you can play any melody and
you can make all the major/minor chords in the key you are in.

-Mike
Old 05-17-2024, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

There may be such a thing. I think it's more beneficial for a person to do the work to figure it out though. Figuring it out will help a person remember it faster and more solidly. The way I'd suggest doing it is to use one key and the key root chord. Figure out the scale from the root note or notes from the chord. Then using the same method use the same chord only use a different chord shape. Using the E, A, C, D chord shapes accomplishes allot. Remember the shapes of the scale and along the way you'll pick up interval and note knowledge. Then try a different key. It may be helpful to make up some of your own learning tools such as what you are looking for. I look at it as a way to learn not just having the knowledge available.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 05-22-2024, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

https://bristolguitarlessons.org.uk/...-caged-system/

This should cover it for you.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with learning scales but be careful -- leaning on scales for soloing can easily become a trap that inhibits your musicality. You don't want your musical choices to be overly dictated by visual patterns that happen to fall comfortably under your fingers. Learn Dom7th arpeggios and copy lines from Blues masters, the best of whom tend to phrase like vocalists. In fact, imitating vocalists is excellent practice!

Last edited by aK_bAsh7; 05-26-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Nothing wrong with learning scales but be careful -- leaning on scales for soloing can easily become a trap that inhibits your musicality. You don't want your musical choices to be overly dictated by visual patterns that happen to fall comfortably under your fingers. Learn Dom7th arpeggios and copy lines from Blues masters, the best of whom tend to phrase like vocalists. In fact, imitating vocalists is excellent practice!
This!
The old blues masters didn't study "blues scales" in books! They sang, and they played the guitar the same way they sang, having conversations with themselves.

When theorists analyzed what they did later, they discovered a few things:
(1) they used major chords, three of them, in a particular format. (The older guys often used just one, usually a dom7 type.)
(2) they flattened the 3rd and 7th of the scale, but to varying amounts - especially the 3rd, which was very flexible.
(3) the tonic was a focal point throughout, and the phrases often disregarded the chords.
(4) the improvisation was closely related to singing, in its phrasing and its swoops and bent notes.

All of this is pretty easy to hear when you just listen! The dumb thing the theorists did was reduce all of that to a "minor pentatonic scale", thinking that would make it easier for beginners. It's a little like saying Beethoven used the major scale; so there you go guys, off you go and write a symphony!

In short, there really is no need today to learn about blues from books! It's like learning to swim by reading a book about it, when you're sitting by a swimming pool with countless swimmers there ready to guide you. Pretty any blues recording ever made is a few clicks away on youtube. Listen and copy - that's how the masters did it, and now we can watch and copy too!
Here's my favourite blues masterclass (key of D): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFleTjxwEHo

And if you want analysis, this is great (key of G): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhYXolbCrr0

And if it's more the old acoustic fingerstyle blues you want, then there's plenty of that too. Look up Big Bill Broonzy, Skip James, Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Sam Chatmon...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write