The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 10:28 AM

Default Lowden wooden cases?

Hello. Who makes the new wooden Lowden cases?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 05-14-2024, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Ameritage.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-14-2024, 11:39 PM

They are very nice.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
They are very nice.
They are, but they are very bulky-feeling and very, very heavy. Mine lives empty in a closet - when I found how heavy it is, I bought a Hiscox to use to take my Lowden out of the house, but stored the guitar in the Ameritage. After a while I got tired of switching cases and subsequently stopped using the Ameritage at all.

The decision to move away from light, strong Hiscox cases to the admittedly pretty, but heavy and unwieldy Ameritage is a decision I fail to understand.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 05-15-2024 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Hiscox cases are fantastic and very practical, but not the most “premium” feeling. The Ameritage case feels much fancier to me. Yeah it’s heavy and bulky but it feels like an event each time I open it.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
They are, but they are very bulky-feeling and very, very heavy. Mine lives empty in a closet -
Yes. As are most protective, luxury cases. Hiscox cases are pretty protective, and lightweight, but they are not luxury cases by any means. A lot of people complain constantly that their factory case doesn't provide the protection, or is too cheap feeling for an expensive guitar. Those issues are solved by the Lowden Custom Armitage cases.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
Yes. As are most protective, luxury cases. Hiscox cases are pretty protective, and lightweight, but they are not luxury cases by any means. A lot of people complain constantly that their factory case doesn't provide the protection, or is too cheap feeling for an expensive guitar. Those issues are solved by the Lowden Custom Armitage cases.
I get that, Steve, but most of the complaints I hear from other Lowden owners - in person and on the interweb - are about the weight of the Ameritage, and how they prefer the Hiscox cases that Lowdens used to be supplied in. I genuinely haven’t heard anyone say, “I wish my Lowden had been supplied in one of the new ‘luxury’ cases”, but I have heard a number complain because they wish their guitar had a Hiscox instead of the Ameritage.

At 77 years old, and 63 years of playing and gigging, I no longer enjoy lugging a heavy case around, I don't give a rat's derriere about 'luxury cases', a case is a case and I strongly prefer function over form - strength and lightness over luxurious beauty - and I choose to keep and carry my Lowden in the Lowden-branded Hiscox case I bought separately for it. Meantimes, the Ameritage sits, unused, in the closet at home.

I’ve often wondered if it might have been a good idea to give purchasers of Lowdens the choice of either the Hiscox or the Ameritage, with the appropriate price-adjustment?

As always, of course, it’s ‘to each, his/her own’ but, certainly here in the UK where Hiscox cases are pretty much de rigeur, those Ameritage cases don’t seem to be the success with owners that Lowden hoped they’d be.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 05-16-2024 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I get that, Steve, but most of the complaints I hear from other Lowden owners - in person and on the interweb - are about the weight of the Ameritage, and how they prefer the Hiscox cases that Lowdens used to be supplied in. I genuinely haven’t heard anyone say, “I wish my Lowden had been supplied in one of the new ‘luxury’ cases”, but I have heard a number complain because they wish their guitar had a Hiscox instead of the Ameritage.

At 77 years old, and 63 years of playing and gigging, I no longer enjoy lugging a heavy case around, I strongly prefer function over form - strength and lightness over luxurious beauty - and I choose to keep and carry my Lowden in the Lowden-branded Hiscox case I bought separately for it. Meantimes, the Ameritage sits, unused, in the closet at home.

I’ve often wondered if it might have been a good idea to give purchasers of Lowdens the choice of either the Hiscox or the Ameritage, with the appropriate price-adjustment?

As always, of course, it’s ‘to each, his/her own’ but, certainly here in the UK where Hiscox cases are pretty much de rigeur, those Ameritage cases don’t seem to be the success with owners that Lowden hoped they’d be.

Well, you highlight the need for Hiscox to offer a new snazzy case visually but still light and protective.

What that would be, no idea!

BluesKing777.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:42 AM

Default The Artist cases are more deluxe…

But still more functional than stylish.

Hiscox cases are great value, light and very rugged. I don’t really understand why Lowden switched to an American case supplier when Hiscox cases are so good and made in the U.K.

Hiscox Artist cases have heavier catches, a leather handle and more luxurious padding and covering in the interior. Really lovely cases if still plain black and prosaic externally.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

I have used Hiscox, Ameritage and Visesnut among others. I agree 100% with the weight issue with Ameritage. Apart from the one that came with my parlour guitar, I find them to be exceedingly heavy. I would hate to have to lug a standard-sized guitar around in one on a regular basis.

Visesnut cases cost around the same as Ameritage cases, and weigh a lot less. They also have the ability to modify the internal padding, which may help to accommodate a Lowden. And they feel much better built than the one Hiscox case I have owned. Maybe I got the low budget Hiscox model.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:20 AM

I love my Lowden Hiscox (O25C). I don’t need aesthetics, just protection.

My Huss & Dalton has a luxe case (TKL Tweed) and it’s gorgeous but I hate the weight. I do have to admit it gets attention even from patrons LOL It’s fancy. As an aside…it’s not as heavy as the case one of my Taylor’s used to have.
Huss & Dalton CM Custom (thin body)
A whole lot more, trapping way too much money

Last edited by xjojox; 05-28-2024 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Smile Hiscox ARTIST model

I may be in the minority around here, but I am a big fan of the top end Hiscox Artist model cases. They don’t weigh very much more, but they have a lot more padding and they are much more protective.

All the Hiscox cases are kind of goofy looking, but at least with the artist model the interior is full of padding, not air.

I could never figure out why Louden did not offer the high-end cases. These are high-end guitars. They deserve high end cases

I agree about the weight of the ameritage cases. They’re very protective but they weigh a lot. For that amount of weight you could have a Calton.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-16-2024, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I may be in the minority around here, but I am a big fan of the top end Hiscox Artist model cases. They don’t weigh very much more, but they have a lot more padding and they are much more protective.

All the Hiscox cases are kind of goofy looking, but at least with the artist model the interior is full of padding, not air.

I could never figure out why Louden did not offer the high-end cases. These are high-end guitars. They deserve high end cases

I agree about the weight of the ameritage cases. They’re very protective but they weigh a lot. For that amount of weight you could have a Calton.

Cheers

Paul
People who buy high end guitars like Lowdens are usually pretty discerning. I would imagine that at some point Lowden figured that they would just throw in a cheap case, then the buyer could get their favorite brand of case and use that. But then probably people expected something more prestigious, like the guitar, so they teamed up with Ameritageto make the buyers happier, but it didn't. Because it isn't a Calton, or a Hiscox, or a Hiscox Artist, or a Visesnut, or whatever the discriminating buyer is partial to. I don't see there being a winning combination for Lowden.

I think it is that way with any guitar that comes with a case. My Guild came with a beautiful case that has a built in humidifier, but if it weren't such a beautiful case I might have bought something a little more utilitarian for it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 05-16-2024 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

@Paul - in fact, the Hiscox Artist case was supplied as standard with the higher-level Lowdens (35 and 50 series, IIRC) in the past, but was discontinued several years ago and replaced with the Ameritage case.

The lower models (‘Original’ series 20 - 34 guitars) continued to be supplied with the Hiscox Pro-ll until comparatively recently, perhaps a couple of years ago, when Lowden changed to the Ameritage case for all their guitars.

However, Lowden-monogrammed Hiscox Pro-ll and Artist cases are still available through the Lowden website Shop…

https://shop-gb.lowdenguitars.com/co...ox-artist-case

https://shop-gb.lowdenguitars.com/co...ox-pro-ii-case

Most Lowden owners I know personally regard the Ameritage case as overkill, and are perfectly happy with the Pro-ll or Artist cases. I have both the Ameritage and the Pro-ll and I never use the Ameritage. Despite the Ameritage being in as-new condition, when I tried to sell it at half the price of a new case (very little more than the cost of a Lowden-monogrammed Pro-ll), I had no interest - not one enquiry!

I think the concept of a high-end guitar ‘deserving a luxury case’ goes straight over many UK Lowden-owners’ heads, they are perfectly happy with their Hiscox cases. And, over here, Hiscox cases aren’t regarded as ‘cheap’ or ‘goofy-looking’, they are held in very high regard for what they are - light, very strong, and hard-wearing protection worthy of any guitar.

So…if anyone has the hots for a pretty, but unusably-heavy ‘luxury’ ‘F’-size case in as-new condition, I know where there is one for sale cheap…

As always, the standard disclaimer applies - IMHO. However, I realise that YMMV, and I’m cool with that.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 05-16-2024 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:02 AM

Sorry, I guess I worry more about the guitar than the case. If one is more concerned about what a guitar comes in, that should be where the shopping begins..... "Excuse me sir, what do you have that comes in a XXX case?....." What I see more than what case a guitar comes in is that a lot of people just like to find something to be cross about. You can, of course, call Lowden and order your custom guitar in either case you like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion