The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2024, 07:00 PM

Default Harbinger MLS 900/MLS1000

Hello all...can any one chime in on these systems for an acoustic duo. Are they reliable...do they sound good. The price on these arrays are tempting. Altho we figure on still using a mixer (tascam model 12) were looking at ease and compact setup. We are playing mostly smaller bars and some outdoor gigs. I know Bose-Ev-yamaha and some others boast a hefty price we are budget minded. We have speakers and monitors we currently use and will probably still use for larger gigs. Any long term experience from any users on this forum that could help us decide.
Thank you for any input.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonesolo View Post
Hello all...can any one chime in on these systems for an acoustic duo. Are they reliable...do they sound good. The price on these arrays are tempting. Altho we figure on still using a mixer (tascam model 12) were looking at ease and compact setup. We are playing mostly smaller bars and some outdoor gigs. I know Bose-Ev-yamaha and some others boast a hefty price we are budget minded. We have speakers and monitors we currently use and will probably still use for larger gigs. Any long term experience from any users on this forum that could help us decide.
Thank you for any input.
I've heard one or two in the field and they're fine. Though I've never run one myself, you probably will benefit from a decent outboard mixer. I think one of the things you're paying for with Bose and EV etc is long-term quality and durability. And yes, mixed properly I'd expect better sound definition and such from a Bose or EV.

Would I expect twice as good sound quality for paying something like twice as much for one of those other units? That's a good question. Very possibly not.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:22 AM

I've been using an MLS900 in my room at work (school) all year. I often leave the unit on overnight and/or over the weekend. It's worked like a champ. I crank it sometimes. On down days we do karaoke for fun. I often bring my guitars in and play. I facilitate the talent show and we've used it to run vocals and guitar through it. I do use a mixer with it. The bass is impressive for the size. Not as good as my Yamaha Stagepas 1k, but for the $299 I paid, I feel like I've got my money's worth. Last summer, someone borrowed it and toted it around about a mile or two, set it up, tore it down, etc. When I first moved it, the column didn't work. A little tilting fixed it. Never had a problem since. I'm hoping it breaks so I can use the warranty I bought on it. Lol. I was hoping the 900 would be gone so I'd get a 1000 for the 900 price it doesn't distribute the sound as evenly as a Bose, but it's a decent unit for the price.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

FWIW several of the local singer/songwriter acts in our small town use this unit for solo gigs. It sounds fine and since they've been using it for a couple years I assume it holds up to some travel and the general bumps and bruises of gigging.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:41 PM

I bought a used one at the end of last year to cover some different gigs. I run a mixer with it and it was fine. Ended up having some volume issues with it and the sound was off some, i had the asurion coverage through guitar center and surprisingly enough within a few weeks turnaround I had it back and it was fixed. I know there are way better systems out there but for my needs augmenting 2 bose s1 pro when needed its fine.

Ive honestly toyed with the idea of buying another used one and link them together.

Good luck and if you end up going that route please share your experience
Old 05-15-2024, 07:21 PM

I bought a pair of these last summer. I use them with a Behringer XR18 mixer. So far they are great as far as I am concerned. Sound full and balanced. They get pretty loud also.

Are they as good as the more expensive options, I can't say because I have no experience with the others.

If you buy 2 and link them, inputs 1 & 2 are mono no matter what, and channel 3 is stereo. When using the mixer for inputs into channel 3 which is stereo between the 2 units, you can pan accordingly when necessary.

FWIW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification