The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-11-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
going shopping for a new car tomorrow, she wants to look at the Outback... any opinions ? Thanks .
I'm rather surrounded by them. Two in the family, what friends and lots of associates drive.

The current version has grown or evolved to be just a little bigger and more solid than ever. Trims really vary, and now you can get a more powerful turbo engine. Our prior generation are Ltd models. Friends with current version have the most basic and Limited. Both are very nice.

We've been doing a lot of car shopping and I'd rate the current software UI for dash screen as far from the worst but with most vehicles now where some settings are in the screen.

Here's what really stands out with them. They really do have a lower center of gravity against the competition. They handle nicer than the common bulbous crossover type that are so popular. They really do have superior AWD, but that does impact fuel economy.

Our oldest now driven by kids has been incredibly reliable, durable, and needed maintenance and repairs for the age have been reasonable.

After we lost a family member in a crash caused by someone else a relative was in same sort of crash. Not only did they walk away, they were aware of the EyeSight features and stability control actually working. After one roll the car worked to control itself. The side airbags worked. It did everything to save just the opposite of the POS Ford pickup truck killed the other.

If you can wait, the upcoming Toyota Crown Signia looks really good and should have considerably higher fuel economy and it will have Toyota's new theme of going back to traditional buttons and dials.

One of our two Outbacks has driven all over ski area service roads, ski are trails, has been a MTB trail building tool, not really been abused, but used really hard. It is incredibly solid for a car that's been through so much.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:09 AM

Recently downsized from two cars to one. We let our 2004 Outback go, and kept our 2020 Outback. We've loved them both.

The 2020 has got tons of whistles and bells that we never thought we'd need, but once we learned how to use most of them, we've found them to be useful.

We've been very satisfied with Subarus.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I work in Subaru parts/service. I am not a fanboy, these are my real world observations with 35 years of experience in the automotive world.

Subarus are no better or worse than any other semi-premium import line. If well-maintained, they will run for as long as you want them to. That said, they have one of the highest scheduled maintenance costs in the industry. They do, however, have several weaknesses. First is the CVT transmission. This is not a "new design bugs" situation. It is an ongoing problem since they started using them. Newer Outbacks and Ascents are the current biggest problem. We currently have two in the shop getting new transmissions. The other two most common problems are wheel bearings and engine oil leaks. Replacing a wheel bearing out of warranty is a $500 job. The oil leak problems on the later model 2.5's usually require a cam carrier reseal to rectify. This is an engine out, $1500 job. If you are someone who keeps their car past the warranty expiration, you will end up with some big bills, eventually.

Personally, I would never own a Subaru with a CVT of any kind. My personal car is a 2019 Crosstrek with 6-speed manual. It is lacking all of the nanny features of the newer models, and I change my oil every 3000 miles in an effort to delay the inevitable leaks.

I know there will be the inevitable "I've driven Subarus for thirty years and I've never had a problem with one", but I work in a facility with a 20 bay shop and we see 20-30 cars a day. This is my daily life.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 05-11-2024, 10:13 AM

I currently drive 2021 Outback Touring. It’s a great car, my third Outback, and 4th Subaru. In my opinion, the base engine just doesn’t have enough zip for me. The turbo engine in the Touring model though, is excellent. Due to the long-term reliability of the turbo engine and the CVT, I’ll probably move it along after the extended warranty is over. I’ll probably get into a Forrester at that point. In my opinion, that’s the current sweet spot in the Subaru lineup as far as value and reliability go.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 05-11-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
They also tend to have better ground clearance. Our Forester "Wilderness Edition" has even more. We own some property with a hunting cabin and a bad road and this thing will go anywhere. It's a better system than my 4x4 truck.

Note Murphy's comment "better system than my 4x4 truck". My Outback with 3PMSF rated tires often did better than my Toyota 4x4 with electric lockers and AT tires. On the ski area service roads it would not slide sideways when that, our F250 and even the 4x4 Kubota tractor would.

Our ski club (private ski area) has a road with signage that says 4x4 only, and at times we still have to close it. Over 15 years of crew, board and director involvement the members and demographics have changed. On one day some folks with their luxury SUVs and big fancy pickups all argued with me and broke the rules or disobeyed. At first it was sort of a novelty that an old Forester with snow rated tires and I were able to get up and down. Then a guy in a Mercedes-Benz SUV and another in RAM 4x4 went down, got stuck, the vehicles hit each other, and more followed. Then 2wd vehicles followed.

The results of that mess cost all those folks $10s of thousands and really expensive towing. When a wrecker winched one of them up the simple Subarus could pass again.

If you use them as hard as I have there will be worn sway bar bushings and I think in general they can have ball joints and tie rods maintenance sooner than others but those repairs were not as expensive as other vehicles.

I'm not saying a Subaru will replace a full-sized pickup, nor are superior to about anything. I for sure stand on our own good experience and understand why people like them. Now the current gen Outback has the core or traditional features with some comfort, quiet and pep not available in the past.

P.S. You still need to be skilled and experienced. I can travel to ski area on a busy pow day and see lots of known good rigs in the ditch. I've seen lots of Subarus stuck when it would not be with someone else driving.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Olympia View Post
I work in Subaru parts/service. I am not a fanboy, these are my real world observations with 35 years of experience in the automotive world.

Subarus are no better or worse than any other semi-premium import line. If well-maintained, they will run for as long as you want them to. That said, they have one of the highest scheduled maintenance costs in the industry. They do, however, have several weaknesses. First is the CVT transmission. This is not a "new design bugs" situation. It is an ongoing problem since they started using them. Newer Outbacks and Ascents are the current biggest problem. We currently have two in the shop getting new transmissions. The other two most common problems are wheel bearings and engine oil leaks. Replacing a wheel bearing out of warranty is a $500 job. The oil leak problems on the later model 2.5's usually require a cam carrier reseal to rectify. This is an engine out, $1500 job. If you are someone who keeps their car past the warranty expiration, you will end up with some big bills, eventually.

Personally, I would never own a Subaru with a CVT of any kind. My personal car is a 2019 Crosstrek with 6-speed manual. It is lacking all of the nanny features of the newer models, and I change my oil every 3000 miles in an effort to delay the inevitable leaks.

I know there will be the inevitable "I've driven Subarus for thirty years and I've never had a problem with one", but I work in a facility with a 20 bay shop and we see 20-30 cars a day. This is my daily life.
Oh No! well we are on our way to test drive . We do own the Cross trek ;no issues,just maintenance as usual....Wish us luck!
Old 05-11-2024, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Enjoyed my first 2008 Outback (used salvage title) so much that I bought a brand new one in 2015. 110K miles and it runs like brand new on snow, ice, mud, gravel, potholes, etc. Driving it like I stole it, I get 26-29mpg. Agile, roomy and comfy.

Caveat to consider:
Depending on how much you're willing to spend on fuel, it is my understanding that only the 2.5L (base) engine burns regular gas. Last time I checked, the larger motors and turbo models all require premium (though no problem here, my 2.5 is plenty powerful).

If Subaru offered a regular gas-burning plug-in hybrid Outback, I'd buy it. Maybe they will by the time mine starts to show some wear.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-12-2024 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:43 PM

I live in Alaska, where it seems that every other car on the road is a Subaru. They’re very popular up here, due to their longevity and excellent handling in snow.

whm
Old 05-11-2024, 03:50 PM

OK ;well we did it. brand new 2024 Outback ,Cosmic Blue. Wife is happy as hell! It is nice ! Now my youngest gets her Toyota. ... Can't wait for our trip to Maine this Summer! What the heck ,I think I paid some dues in life to deserve a new car..trying not to feel guilty.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
For the money, best cars on the road. Ive had two. Wife, daughter, and son drive Subies. I love my truck (2500HD) and Wrangler, but even they arent as good in snow as the Outback. You point the nose where you want to go, and it goes there. Best AWD system ever.

Also, back in the 80s, my uncle had a subie (pre-outback days) for work. Had over 300k on it. Drove to construction sites with 3 buddies. One day nearing home he was t-boned and flipped on the roof. They crawled out, flipped it back on its wheels and drove home. (It was eventually totalled, but it preserved their space in the roll-over and limped back home. I was sold!
It doesn’t matter how good the AWD claims to be, if the snow is too deep and the tires are not MS or better rated, you’ll be stuck in the snow along with everyone else. For my taste they are to small, overhyped and overpriced .
Old 05-11-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
What the heck ,I think I paid some dues in life to deserve a new car..trying not to feel guilty.
And of course, you are well aware that the AGF audience is packed with folks who have said the exact same thing about their pricy guitars! Well, a car is a necessity, but… a guitar is……also a necessity!

I wish you many years and miles of trouble free driving (and a great guitar too!).

Rick
Old 05-11-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
And of course, you are well aware that the AGF audience is packed with folks who have said the exact same thing about their pricy guitars! Well, a car is a necessity, but… a guitar is……also a necessity!

I wish you many years and miles of trouble free driving (and a great guitar too!).

Rick
Well said . Thanks Rick!
Old 05-11-2024, 06:04 PM

Many congrats!! A new car.....is.....very special!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-11-2024, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK ;well we did it. brand new 2024 Outback ,Cosmic Blue. Wife is happy as hell! It is nice ! Now my youngest gets her Toyota. ... Can't wait for our trip to Maine this Summer! What the heck ,I think I paid some dues in life to deserve a new car..trying not to feel guilty.
Congrats! I recently got a 2024 OB Touring XT in Cosmic Blue, love that color. We use it for road trips, it's a comfortable car. Enjoy your new ride!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-12-2024, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Olympia View Post
I work in Subaru parts/service.

Subarus are no better or worse than any other semi-premium import line. If well-maintained, they will run for as long as you want them to. That said, they have one of the highest scheduled maintenance costs in the industry.

They do, however, have several weaknesses. First is the CVT transmission. This is not a "new design bugs" situation. It is an ongoing problem since they started using them.

Personally, I would never own a Subaru with a CVT of any kind.
This was a fear of mine when we bought our 2022 Forester. So we bought the extended warranty. I still have my doubts and will probably bail out when the warranty is running out, but I was actually hoping Subaru had "mastered" the CVT.

I could probably argue since they started using them in 2014 there are more Subarus on the road WITH a CVT versus without. And they are STILL a very highly rated brand for dependability and longevity.

If they are as bad as you say, wouldn't that be a "brand killer" ?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic