The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
It's referring to the string winding around the tuning peg. Doesn't matter, in this case, if steel or nylon. This photo would be, on several levels, what not to do.
Oh yikes! Yeah, seems like you shouldn't have to do that every few weeks.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
I'm not familiar with nylon strings (I should fix that ) but what does it mean to "tighten the windings" ?
This explains the issue:

https://allstringsnylon.com/asn/post/d-string-buzz
Old 05-11-2024, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
They set the action high trying to eliminate the buzz. This tech is really well respected in the Twin Cities area, where we have an embarrassment of riches in terms of luthiers.
Yes, I understand why they did it but it's shoddy work. You said it didn't fix the issue but they left it like that. They not only didn't fix the problem, they created a new one.

About 25 years ago I started learning how to repair guitars after discovering that all the "reputable" techs in my area were actually quite mediocre. If you really think it's acceptable for a tech to
1) not be able to discover the source of a buzz
2) create a problematicly high action which didn't solve anything, and then leave it that way
then you might want to post a thread on the repair section here to get some other opinions on that.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
... Even though I can "fix it" by tightening the windings, the buzz has been there with several different restringings - different brands. Always the D. And, it didnt start until about 3-4 months after purchase. Do you think it is entirely a string issue? Or do you think there is a second variable in there somewhere?
The only variable that, I can think of, that would cause your D string to loosen would be if you aren't getting it installed securely and it's coming loose.
Alternatively, if your tuning machine is loose, or has loose parts and buzzes without a string mounted, I would try to resolve the noise by replacing the tuner with another. I guess it could need tension in a specific place on the peg to keep it from buzzing. Do you hear buzzing when you don't have a string on the D-string tuning machine? Did you notice any difference with the buzzing between low tension, normal tension, and high tension strings?

Last edited by LAPlayer; 05-11-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:56 PM

Things to try (not sure if you've done any of these, apologies if so):

- Remove all but the offending D string and see if the buzz still happens. If it does, this rules out some kind of sympathetic resonance from another string.

- Unwind the D string and then wind it into a different tuner. If the problem remains, it's not the tuner.

- You said the buzz occurs when fretting at at the 4th fret or higher, i.e. playing an F# or higher. Tune the D string down a full tone - does the problem now begin at the 2nd fret? Try tuning it up to E - does it now only buzz after the 6th fret? If the buzz follows the F# note then it's frequency related, rather than positional.

- If it's frequency related, can you get your fingers in the soundhole and try holding some bracing while playing the offending note? Perhaps a brace is loose and vibrating in sympathy with certain notes.

- If it is positional, give the frets from 4th and upwards a gentle tap in case they are slightly loose and are vibrating when that string is played in that area of the fretboard.

Basically, eliminate all the possible causes untill you find it.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The only variable that, I can think of, that would cause your D string to loosen would be if you aren't getting it installed securely and it's coming loose.
Alternatively, if your tuning machine is loose, or has loose parts and buzzes without a string mounted, I would try to resolve the noise by replacing the tuner with another. I guess it could need tension in a specific place on the peg to keep it from buzzing. Do you hear buzzing when you don't have a string on the D-string tuning machine? Did you notice any difference with the buzzing between low tension, normal tension, and high tension strings?
The d string is not loose. It is at least in part a zip tone issue explained in a link I provided above
Old 05-11-2024, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_Mac View Post
Things to try (not sure if you've done any of these, apologies if so):

- Remove all but the offending D string and see if the buzz still happens. If it does, this rules out some kind of sympathetic resonance from another string.

- Unwind the D string and then wind it into a different tuner. If the problem remains, it's not the tuner.

- You said the buzz occurs when fretting at at the 4th fret or higher, i.e. playing an F# or higher. Tune the D string down a full tone - does the problem now begin at the 2nd fret? Try tuning it up to E - does it now only buzz after the 6th fret? If the buzz follows the F# note then it's frequency related, rather than positional.
These are really excellent suggestions. I will do them all. Thank you
- If it's frequency related, can you get your fingers in the soundhole and try holding some bracing while playing the offending note? Perhaps a brace is loose and vibrating in sympathy with certain notes.

- If it is positional, give the frets from 4th and upwards a gentle tap in case they are slightly loose and are vibrating when that string is played in that area of the fretboard.

Basically, eliminate all the possible causes untill you find it.
Excellent suggestions. I will do them all. Thank you
Old 05-11-2024, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This explains the issue: https://allstringsnylon.com/asn/post/d-string-buzz
Old 05-11-2024, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I'd try taking the guitar to another luthier/tech and don't say a word about the buzz and see what they come up with. Let them "discover" the issue.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-11-2024, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'd try taking the guitar to another luthier/tech and don't say a word about the buzz and see what they come up with. Let them "discover" the issue.
I certainly wouldn't appreciate someone bringing something to me, wanting to play a game of discovery. In the repair field, you really don't have time to waste. It's all about efficiency.

Finding the source of a buzz is not all that complex and just asking a tech "where is this buzz coming from and can I have low action without this buzz" should be sufficient.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I certainly wouldn't appreciate someone bringing something to me, wanting to play a game of discovery. In the repair field, you really don't have time to waste.....
I guess that would be a job you could decline. No? I guess I would expect a repair tech, or luthier, to articulate if they didn't want to chase down a buzz prior to buggering up the playability of the guitar and not solving the problem. If they take the work, they take the work to complete the chore. At least that's how I see it.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess that would be a job you could decline. No? I guess I would expect a repair tech, or luthier, to articulate if they didn't want to chase down a buzz prior to buggering up the playability of the guitar and not solving the problem. If they take the work, they take the work to complete the chore. At least that's how I see it.
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I was referring to the idea of not saying anything about the buzz. To just hand a guitar over and say, "Let me know if you find anything", when you have a specific issue in mind, is not a recipe for success. I would assume the customer just wanted a look-over and may or may not discover a buzz on a very specific note (if that's what's going on here). If they said there was a problem but they wanted me to find it on my own, I would probably just avoid taking work from that customer (no offense to the person who suggested it).

Maybe you thought I was talking about the original tech. It's hard to make judgement without hearing their perspective but it sounds like they did a disservice. Which, is unfortunately not unusual in the guitar tech world.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I was referring to the idea of not saying anything about the buzz. To just hand a guitar over and say, "Let me know if you find anything", when you have a specific issue in mind, is not a recipe for success. I would assume the customer just wanted a look-over and may or may not discover a buzz on a very specific note (if that's what's going on here). If they said there was a problem but they wanted me to find it on my own, I would probably just avoid taking work from that customer (no offense to the person who suggested it).

Maybe you thought I was talking about the original tech. It's hard to make judgement without hearing their perspective but it sounds like they did a disservice. Which, is unfortunately not unusual in the guitar tech world.
Not to nit pick and argue, but a customer (like me) would assume the tech would play the guitar up and down the neck at some point to see if there are issues. How does a tech do a setup without at least playing the guitar before giving it back to the customer?

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-12-2024, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Not to nit pick and argue, but a customer (like me) would assume the tech would play the guitar up and down the neck at some point to see if there are issues. How does a tech do a setup without at least playing the guitar before giving it back to the customer?
I agree. The more obvious observation to my mind is the fact that people dont take guitars into techs as a test, for recreational purposes. People take in their guitar and say, "It's doing xyz" - can you figure that out and fix it? I mean, who takes a guitar, hands it over, and says, "Please do an annual physical examination. (and I'll see if you catch the problem - tee-hee-hee-hee. Oh what fun. This is better than binge watching old episodes of Hawaii 5-0)
Old 05-12-2024, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's referring to the string winding around the tuning peg. Doesn't matter, in this case, if steel or nylon. This photo would be, on several levels, what not to do.
It's not referring to this. It is referring to this: https://allstringsnylon.com/asn/post/d-string-buzz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion