The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Planning to buy my first stepup guitar- opinions invited!

I was late in life to the guitar game but during covid my wife got sick and I picked up a Fender Paramount and I've learned enough to make a public spectacle of myself with it! I like the sound and everything but I am ready to pay more for a step up from that and allow myself some alternative tunings on the other guitar. I'm basically playing regularly JJ Cale/Neil Young/Wallflowers/Zevon/Tonic/Allman Bros (Greg not Duane!) kind of stuff. Maybe my biggest challenge is I strike the pickguard pretty hard and I've had it replaced once already on the Fender. I think something with a little more substantial feel to the body might be a good idea? Any recommendations about what I might look for and go try out will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2024, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

First off I like the Lebowski reference in your name! You didn’t mention a budget but any Eastman would probably be a nice next step up.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb & AC330e
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 05-10-2024, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Maybe you need a steel pick guard. . .or a lighter touch.
Two of my three guitars have no pick guards. I like the clean look. I’ve learned to keep my picks off the guitar. Wish you the best in your journey.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:53 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Welcome!

You need to have a budget for what you can spend, and you really need to play as many guitars as you can to get a sense of what feels best to you... and also what sounds best to you. Somewhere in that process you can start to narrow down a selection.

There's nothing we can say that will make any sense for you since we don't know any of the parameters. There are A LOT of really good choices across all price points, styles, and wood choices.

I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations, though.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:54 PM

Welcome to AGF, as mentioned previously, your budget will allow for better ideas.
Are you wanting *any*, body size, nut width, 14 fret, 12 fret etc.?

Maybe which general location you're in so specific shops could be recommended.

There ARE a lot of choices.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
First off I like the Lebowski reference in your name! You didn’t mention a budget but any Eastman would probably be a nice next step up.
Great point- I'm thinking maybe 2 to 3K at the top end? Yeah, TBL is a regular viewing at my home!
Old 05-10-2024, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Welcome!

You need to have a budget for what you can spend, and you really need to play as many guitars as you can to get a sense of what feels best to you... and also what sounds best to you. Somewhere in that process you can start to narrow down a selection.

There's nothing we can say that will make any sense for you since we don't know any of the parameters. There are A LOT of really good choices across all price points, styles, and wood choices.

I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations, though.
Thank you! I know there's a lot and I want to get player's opinions versus sales guys/girls who could have motives that don't fit my end wishes.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denandannie View Post
Maybe you need a steel pick guard. . .or a lighter touch.
Two of my three guitars have no pick guards. I like the clean look. I’ve learned to keep my picks off the guitar. Wish you the best in your journey.
Trust me I've thought about it- but when I get an audience and I'm singing it up I haven;t found the discipline to keep from hitting the guitar body. Part of it too is probably because I still need to look down at the guitar for the more difficult parts and that puts the body at an angle where I'm getting into it?
Old 05-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Welcome to AGF, as mentioned previously, your budget will allow for better ideas.
Are you wanting *any*, body size, nut width, 14 fret, 12 fret etc.?

Maybe which general location you're in so specific shops could be recommended.

There ARE a lot of choices.
Thanks- I'm in Santa Barbara/SLO now but I lived in LA forever and I will go there to shop. I know nothing about a lot of what you say but I do prefer a little wider distance between the strings and the Paramount is good about that. I originally bought a widebody guitar on someone's suggestion but I didn't like it al all, although that was a rattle issue. I like a lot of the things about the Paramount as far as size/frets.

Last edited by Jackie Treehorn; 05-10-2024 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looking at the Eastman website- a lot of the featured guitars appear to be sort of hybrid acoustic/electric. I'm not yet hooking up to an amp although I have one- if I go to Guitar Center and play one of the Eastman guitars without being hooked up on an amp will I be doing it a disservice?
Old 05-10-2024, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Looking at the Eastman website- a lot of the featured guitars appear to be sort of hybrid acoustic/electric. I'm not yet hooking up to an amp although I have one- if I go to Guitar Center and play one of the Eastman guitars without being hooked up on an amp will I be doing it a disservice?
I don’t think you would. I have a few acoustic/electrics and I never plug in.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb & AC330e
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 05-10-2024, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don’t think you would. I have a few acoustic/electrics and I never plug in.
Thanks a lot- Eastman is first on my list to check out!
Old 05-11-2024, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

Just FYI, Guitar Center is not an Eastman dealer but they do have some used guitars in their inventory across the country.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:04 AM

Seagulls are the best budget guitars around. For a big step up from that, USA Guilds are built to stand up to some serious abuse — one reason I call them the party guitar:

Gibson = the saloon guitar
Guild = the party guitar
Martin = the porch guitar
Taylor = the trendy guitar

It said here often because it needs to be: No matter what guitar you get, a good setup is essential.

And — if that pickguard damage is from a pick, try playing bare-handed. It sounds just as good. (If you don't use a pick, I don't know what to tell you!)
Old 05-11-2024, 08:16 AM

Take a look at Yamaha - LL, LS, FS, FG series. Great guitars. My step-up guitar is an FS5 and it is fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion