The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-14-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolie View Post
Nothing beats in-person instruction, I have found. It's too easy to skip through online lessons without mastering them. That's just my personal experience.

What schoolie said!

It's similar to working out at home vs. going to a fitness center to do the same thing. It's easy to slack off at home or lose focus when having to show up somewhere at a set schedule (or teacher in the case of the guitar) will keep you regularly on task. And of course there are other benefits.
Old 08-14-2023, 12:33 PM

Incentive & Motivation is the 'key ' here!- If its only 1/2 hearted..then the result will be obvious.

Take up silly mustaches offer- he's willing to nurture+ advise....
Old 08-14-2023, 01:18 PM

Lots of great advise....and I should take some myself, lol I mean I'm the biggest hack guitar player and I know it but I play to accompany my singing...
My biggest goal myself is intro's and any little stuff that they play that makes the song...

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 08-20-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badweatherbiker View Post
Guys I just turned 50 and have been trying to learn to play since I was 15 years old. I was actually better in my teens and 20s than I am now but I never was really that good. I try to play every day but with work and grandkids and kids and helping with aging parents sometimes I miss a few days. The problem is I am having trouble retaining what I just learned. Well the bigger problem is I think I have adapted so many bad habits in the last few years that it's just too difficult to overcome. I have forgotten how to properly double pick, cannot get strumming patterns down and my fingers just don't go where I want them. I am kind of getting frustrated with it all.
I always wanted to learn fingerstyle guitar and maybe some blues but at this rate I wonder if I'll ever be able to complete a song properly.
Any tips? I don't want to give up
Perhaps you need to more closely assess what/how, you are practicing, if you are not getting results. If you are just repeating inefficient mechanics, you will most definitely not improve. If you are not able to break down your playing and identify the trouble areas on a micro level, perhaps it's time to find a teacher who can. It sounds to me like you need to start from the beginning with the help of someone who can guide you through the process of building a solid foundation.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:15 PM

In case anyone is still interested, I have been to a couple lessons and what a huge difference it has made. I have already cleared up several bad habits and have been fretting chords in a better way for smoother progressions and I have ditched the pick.
My practice time is more structured now also so I am maximizing my practice time.
Life is good
Old 08-23-2023, 09:09 PM

........Guess not
Old 08-24-2023, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badweatherbiker View Post
........Guess not
Quite the opposite, I assure you. I've just grown fearful of posting. Your experience highlights the value of getting some personal, one-on-one instruction. I touted this a while back and got beat up for it by people touting the glories of online instruction. I'm a big fan of online instruction, but I also value on-on-one instruction, because that famous online instructor you're studying with can't hear you play. They can't see the issues that are holding you back. So, having someone sit in front of you every now and then is very helpful. I think of personal instructors less like teachers and more like mentors who clear up problems and point you in the right direction. Your experience sounds quite successful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write