The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2021, 05:14 PM

Default Schertler Jam 200 Low Volume

First post on this forum... This topic may have been discussed elsewhere...

I just bought a Schertler Jam 200. Love the features, but I get almost no volume out of it...

Running into all of the channels I have tried mics, and patch for guitar and vocals and I am really surprised at how little amplification that I get out of this. I am guessing that I am doing something wrong...

Please help or maybe point me to a post that can give me some guidance.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old 05-25-2021, 09:27 PM

You need the make sure that you are pushing the preamps (gain) 'till right before the overload lights come on, it will seem like you are running the channels too hot, but you are just optimizing them for the right input signal level. Start with the master volume at least half way up. Then turn up the individual channel volumes up slowly, don't be afraid to crank them, remember you already optimized the gain of the channel.

If you haven't read this, it will help a bunch...

https://www.schertler.com/public/dow...ide_jam_en.pdf

Last edited by rockabilly69; 05-26-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:21 AM

* Each channel has "Gain" (red) and "Volume" (green) pot.
* The whole amp has a "Master Volume" pot (yellow).

1) Set the Master Volume to minimum (Yellow). Set each channel volume pot to center (green)
2) Plug into a channel 1.
3) Raise the gain until the little red light (ol) flashes/lights up when you strum hard.
4) Raise the Master volume (Yellow) until proper loudness is reached.

NB: Use each channel volume pots (green) to change the mix balance between each channel.

"Loudness" is controlled by the "Gain pots". Those control the preamp stages that actually "amplify" the signal.

All volume pots are just "attenuation" stages. You can set them to maximum and get nothing: If the preamp stage gain is set to zero, you will attenuate or not an already very weak signal.... So you won't hear any difference.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-26-2021, 05:26 PM

Super helpful thanks! I was curious about XLR inputs and using mics. Rbilly you mentioned that you use a preamp before the channel 2 or 3 xlr inputs. I noticed that when I use a mic it's very low volume...

Any thoughts there? Mixer? Preamp?
Old 05-26-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxbrewer View Post
Super helpful thanks! I was curious about XLR inputs and using mics. Rbilly you mentioned that you use a preamp before the channel 2 or 3 xlr inputs. I noticed that when I use a mic it's very low volume...

Any thoughts there? Mixer? Preamp?
As I said CRANK the gain on those channels, it needs to be at close to max for a mic, especially a low gain mic! Crank that gain until you see the overload light coming on, and then just back it up till the light only flashes at your loudest strum. If you don't you will get hardly and volume out of that Schertler. I don't use the preamp for gain, I use it for extra EQ.

If you don't get enough gain to light up the overload light then you might get some help from a preamp. But in my experience, most people having problems with the JAM 150 and Jam 200 are dealing with inexperience.

As Cuki said, start with the volumes on low but with the master on about 5 at the channel volume at close to 10 you should have a solid signal. Btw what kind of mic is it?
Old 05-26-2021, 05:45 PM

ETL Myrtle. Which channel do you use for vocal mic? 2 or 3? and why?

Last edited by genxbrewer; 05-26-2021 at 05:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification