The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-23-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Do any thumb pick users here trim their thumb picks to better accommodate their picking position/style? If so, are there any special tools or techniques you use to get it done?

I find the Dunlop picks I have do not accommodate my thumb position well. They are too long and I think I'd like a more laterally-positioned point.

Thanks for your input!
Yes. I generally don't use a thumbpick - I prefer my thumbnail, which is strong enough even when fairly long, even reaching the string when I rest my wrist on the bridge.

The main reason I never got on with a thumbpick, in fact, is their length - so I have cut one down (pretty much exactly to der Geist's pic). I used a pair of big strong scissors, then a nail file to smooth it off. I find it a lot easier to use, although I still prefer my thumbnail.

Mine is a Dunlop L, btw, same as der Geist's, and (I cant resist the name-drop!) it's from a bag of 12 - unused - that used to belong to Bert Jansch.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:32 AM

For many years I would file them down just as others have shown. I decided about 6 months ago to just learn to play with them without filing. It took about 3 days to adjust and now I prefer to use picks without filing. The big advantage is that you can pick up any thumb pick and play.
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write