The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-31-2010, 05:45 PM

Default Cheap DIY spool clamps

I've shopped around for some affordable spool clamps and found just the opposite. Though very handy for gluing bodies, there aren't too many applications that I can think of for these and $27 for a set of 6 is... The obvious solution was to make my own.
I found these guys:
http://www.wholesalebolts.com/
Using found material such as a 1.25" dowel rod and some soft felt from a wall hanging (it was in a box...the wife won't miss it) plus the bolts, wing nuts and fender washers I was able to make 25 spool clamps for under $20. Not too shabby. Just wanted to share this find. I'm in no way associated with the website.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 PM

I made some this winter kind of like that. I got the dowel like you did, some felt from one of the big hardware stores (it came round and just fit).
But I tried using 6" bolts, and I guess I cut my dowels too thick, but they didn't work, so I got some threaded rod, washers, wing nuts, and off to the races. I probably spent more than you because I goofed the bolt length. 7" would be a good safe length for a dreadnought.
Good idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair