The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-11-2003, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Drop D = string problems?

I have a haunch about what's going on here. I've been playing (read "learning") a couple of pieces in Drop D tuning. Coincidentally, it seems like I'm always stuck with fairly dead low E strings on my guitars. What do you folks think - is going back and forth between E and D on the low string killing it early? This seems to be true with at least two different brands of strings, and on two different guitars. I wouldn't have thought that the one step tuning difference would make such a huge difference, but it is starting to seem obvious to me now.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 AM

The short answer is yes. Retuning your guitar will shorten the life of the strings. That's certainly been my experience. I think it's just part of the price you pay for going with altered tunings.

If you're upset about the shortened string life, and added expense of replacing strings sooner, you could buy another guitar and leave it in the new tuning

David
Old 03-11-2003, 09:29 AM

yes, And they will break sooner too, especially the high (little) e, if you're dropping that one too. I had the same issue, so i just learned everything with drop d.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Me

I don't have much trouble with that. I use Elixers. Every time I play I change back and forth a couple of times. I guess my guitar is better than yours.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:02 AM

Like Steve, I don't have too much of a problem with the strings going dead. Then again, that's usually because I'm breaking them long before they have the chance to die...

Steve
Old 03-11-2003, 10:11 AM

Now that I think about it, It was Daddario's that went dead, the elixers would always break prematurely. And I mean WAY early. Couple weeks and BOINK! Couldn't afford that.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you're upset about the shortened string life, and added expense of replacing strings sooner, you could buy another guitar and leave it in the new tuning
Now that's the ticket. Would you mind explaining this logic to my wife? I mean heck - I'd be saving us money by not buying as many sets of strings - right?

Come to think of it, I've got a couple of pieces in Open G I can do, I've been wanting to learn some DADGAD stuff - wow, I need a bunch of guitars.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:48 PM

I just bought a new K12 after buying 2 custom made jobs this past year. I tried the altered tuing reationale last night when the new guitar came home with me. It didn't go over very well.

David
Old 03-12-2003, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by architectx

Now that's the ticket. Would you mind explaining this logic to my wife? I mean heck - I'd be saving us money by not buying as many sets of strings - right?

Come to think of it, I've got a couple of pieces in Open G I can do, I've been wanting to learn some DADGAD stuff - wow, I need a bunch of guitars.

That's a easy one. 100 string changes of elixir strings will equal about one new Taylor. (Best said while changing strings.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification