The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-02-2001, 11:30 PM

Thumbs up

I installed the IBeam 3 weeks ago and love it! After a lengthy discussion with LRBaggs I opted to go with the the passive (no battery in guitar) and the GigPro preamp (belt hookup) rather than the ParaDI which allows me to move around the stage freely. The sound is the closest I have heard to pure acoustic over the wire and the volume is incredible. The initial sound was very acceptable and as I spend more time with the various levels between the preamp and board the sound is being refined even more.
Old 07-03-2001, 02:36 AM

Smile

I had the iBeam installed last week and think it sounds excellent.

I know little about amplification technology, but I do have a pretty good ear for quality sound. I am quite pleased. The Guitar Shop that installed it was pretty amazed at the natural sound and lack of feedback through it. My only concern is whether or not I will regret getting the active unit rather than the passive one. I suspect that someday I will want a Gigpro or something to control volume, EQ, etc. Since I don't know much about amplificaiton, I don't know if doing so would negate the value of the preamp installed in the guitar. It may not be too late for me to switch to a passive unit. If anyone has any thoughts or insights on this, I'd really appreciate it!

Steve
Old 07-03-2001, 05:04 PM

I called LR Baggs tech support, and they actually recommended the iBeam Active and Para Acoustic DI or Gigpro combo. Interesting that they recommended the passive for DanL.

You'll just have to be sure to turn down the gain when going into the DI/preamp.

Ken
Old 07-03-2001, 06:12 PM

Kenliu, thanks for the info! It's nice to know I at least didn't waste money on the active pickup.

I can see I'm at the beginning of quite a learning curve regarding amplification of acoustic guitars. Kewl! More gadgets! (My wife will have a fit.)

Steve
Old 07-30-2001, 10:19 PM
.tom the übergeek

One of my friends has an iBeam and ParaDI and is really battling feedback in a praise band setting. Very sensitive....
Old 07-31-2001, 01:16 AM

Actually, when I spoke to the Baggs support guy, he pretty strongly recommended AGAINST the iBeam in a high-volume situation. He said the LB6 was the best (apparently Lenny Kravitz uses this, according to the web site) and RT bridge pickup second (this is the one in the dual source).

I installed my new iBeam myself this weekend and played out on Sunday, but I broke a string after two songs so it didn't work out. Didn't have any problems with feedback though. Will fill everyone in on it a little more later.

Ken
Old 08-01-2001, 10:27 PM

Honestly I wasn't too crazy about it myself. I had it in a 510AB and honestly didn't get a whole lot of time to fool with it before the guitar itself had to be taken back due to buzzing, but it was awful (booming and feedback) until I used the para-DI and that made it so much better, but still you sure would have to tweak it all the time to cut out feedback. Para-DI kind of hard to use and whats with the teeny tiny knobs that you can hardly see the pointing part on? Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake. Then again, maybe "microphonic" isn't the most ideal sound after all. I want to make my life simpler, not harder. I think if I keep that guitar, I might go ahead and pull it out, sell it at a slight loss and go ahead and get fishman matrix.. something I can handle straight into the PA or just with a simple outside EQ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification