The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2001, 11:20 PM

Post The "Pallet" and the Ancient Luthier

I saw a photo of Bob Taylor's "Pallet" guitar on their web site. http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/models/pallet.html I read his reason for making it out of fir (maybe a 2x) and an oak pallet. Just to prove that it could be done and for the fun of it.

Reminds me of the ancient luthier that built his sound board out of the finest wood and then built the "bowl" out of paper mache, to prove that the sound is in the top.

Anybody ever played one and what do they cost? The "pallet" I mean.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:44 AM

Talking

I saw the pallet guitar at the Taylor factory last spring and it is spectacular when you consider how it was made. The best feature is the brushed aluminum filler that they used to fill the original nail holes form the pallet wood. The neck inlay is wonderfully clever as well.

Sorry I can't offer the price, but my guess is that with all of the people who have seen the guitar at shows in the past, all of the limited edition pallet guitars will sell fast (if they're not sold out completely by now) whatever the price. - Bill J
Old 01-30-2001, 01:36 PM

From what I heard on the Taylor Factory Tour, in 2000, a limited run of 50 were made, and all of them sold except 3 so far with the price somewhere around 10K$. I didn't get a chance to see or try the Pallet guitar when I was there, because it was packed up and getting ready to ship for the NAMM show. =(
Randall
Old 01-30-2001, 11:52 PM

We asked about the Pallet Guitar at the summer NAMM convention. List is $10,000. I was talking with Bob and he said the run was 25, officially. They will make some more, but for family and friends, with a separate series of serial numbers or edition numbers. He estimated about 8 or so. Wish he would make one for me!

On the other hand, when I spoke with Zak about my warranty work, I suggested that they trade my W14C in and send me out the Pallet guitar. He immediately said, "You don't want one." Why? Because it is almost guaranteed to crack within a year or two. I guess that is the nature of the wood they are using on them. It would still be pretty to look at, though!
Old 02-06-2001, 05:57 PM
Eastcoast Music

Thumbs up

Hey there,

We ordered a couple of these and I can honestly say it is one of the best sounding Taylors I have ever played. I have played the original and thought it was very nice but the new ones are even better.

A little pricey but since there are only 25 in exsistence they should only go up in value.

Pete

------------------
[email protected]

http://www.eastcoastmusic.com

The Largest Taylor Dealer in Connecticut
Old 02-08-2001, 02:03 PM

These are novelties for rich collecters to have. Better to price esoteric sh$t at a high $$$$ and let the wealthy eat it, and price the good stuff at reasonable $ so the 'working guy' can have a ray of sunlight.

Old 02-09-2001, 12:40 AM

Eastcoast,
You were that impressed with it's sound? A fir two by and oak? The new Luthier's art amazes me.
The Ancient Luthier would be pleased, I think.

Old 02-09-2001, 10:20 AM
Eastcoast Music

NYC:

Originally, I thought it would sound like a 2x4 with strings on it. But, I was really surprised when it had an excellent balance and rich overall tone.

I think by having Bob Taylor and Larry Breedlove the only 2 guys building these things helps a little. There is a lot to be said for guitars made by just a couple pairs of hands.

Pete

------------------
[email protected]

http://www.eastcoastmusic.com

The Largest Taylor Dealer in Connecticut
Old 02-16-2001, 12:57 PM

I walked into a guitar store yesterday, and saw this cool guitar from the side as I walked in and thought, "Wow, cool wood!" Got in front and was surprised to see a Pallet. You know, the thing looked GREAT, nice and down-to-earth "crunchy". And as Pete said, it sounded great, too. (Maybe not the BEST Taylor, but certainly excellent.) As somebody mentioned, the metallic inlays in the old nail holes were a cool touch.

You could screw legs into the soundboard, flip it over, and have a unique end table!

The store had a Jewel sig model as well, which I really liked except for the "Jewel" sig. :-) Just don't like somebody else's name on my guitar, I guess.

~ Paul
Old 02-16-2001, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulLePine:

The store had a Jewel sig model as well, which I really liked except for the "Jewel" sig. :-) Just don't like somebody else's name on my guitar, I guess.
Hehe, kinda ironic since we have Bob's last name on the top of our headstocks. =P Wonder if Taylor would ever make a guitar without that....Ahhh probably not.
Old 02-18-2001, 12:52 PM

well, actually, he did - once.

Take a look on the site at the history and you'll find out all about the purple guitar made for the artist formerly known as 'the artist formerly known as Prince'
Yeah a one off cutaway in purple, without Bob's logo on it!

Best regards

Kenny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification