The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2015, 04:05 AM

Smile Fishman Rare Earth Single Coil

How does the Fishman Rare Earth single coil compare to the humbucker version. I already have the Rare Earth Blend which I believe is the humbucker with a goose neck mic.
I find the output quite low.

I here the single coil can get humming problems when used with stage lighting. I mainly play outside.
I have K&K pure XLR prea amp the £170 version with the phase button and gain swicth as well as bass mid and treble . Which I think would add some depth. Infact I got rid of my K%K from my Faith Jumbo as I found the output to low but that was way before I brought a used K & K pure XLR preamp. I may think again and get a K&K mini so I can use it with the K&K pure XLR.
Going back to the Fishman
Does anyone here have a single coil Fishman?

Last edited by Mr Blues; 09-23-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:24 AM

I have a singlcoil Rare Earth, a humbucker and a blend. of the three the blend seems to have the lowest output. It may have issues and as I only have two guitars that can accommodate soundhole pickups right now it is siting on the shelf. The single coil is sweeter/more acoustic sounding than the humbucker. It's on my spare guitar and don't play that guitar much but I don't recall too many hum problems though they are inevitable with single coils (I play a couple of Strats when I'm over on the dark side).
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 09-23-2015, 10:39 AM

Hi Sam .
I am glad you gave a short take on the single coil pick up. I had a chance to demo one and it sounds nice and clear. Definitely more output then the humbucker.
They have gone down in price. I tried it on a friends Martin 0M guitar.
I am definitely getting one . I can't wait to try out out with my Yamaha LJ16.
Dave
Old 09-23-2015, 02:04 PM

I installed one on my Martin SWDGT and don't recall noticeable hum from neon lights or other sources. I a very happy with the sound quality.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blues View Post
How does the Fishman Rare Earth single coil compare to the humbucker version. I already have the Rare Earth Blend which I believe is the humbucker with a goose neck mic.
I find the output quite low.

I here the single coil can get humming problems when used with stage lighting. I mainly play outside.
I have K&K pure XLR prea amp the £170 version with the phase button and gain swicth as well as bass mid and treble . Which I think would add some depth. Infact I got rid of my K%K from my Faith Jumbo as I found the output to low but that was way before I brought a used K & K pure XLR preamp. I may think again and get a K&K mini so I can use it with the K&K pure XLR.
Going back to the Fishman
Does anyone here have a single coil Fishman?
Sound-hole pickups sound like sound-hole pickups, with minor differences. I wouldn't expect too much from any of them. The one in question is a single coil pickup, so it going to be noisy! All pickups of any type have one or another issue to be dealt with and a good preamp/DI helps with many woes. There are plenty to choose from and most of them are decent. For me I won't play anywhere without my Venue DI with any pickup or guitar. It's just about the most important piece of gear I own.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:03 PM

I have a single coil and a few blends. The single coil is hotter, brighter and can get noisy in the right environment. I don't use it anymore. It's sitting in it's box in a drawer.

I prefer the Blend, but I split the output to my Solstice and EQ the 2 signals separately and then mix them to taste.

That said, I have Blends in 2 of my guitars. 3 others have Fishman Matrix Infinity USTs. They're just a lot better for loud band situations. I am considering adding an SBT to the USTs to add a little more wood to the tone. That's a project for when I have time to futz around with them. Right now they're in full gigging mode.

I've long ago given up on the idea that a pickup would ever sound "acoustic". When I need my guitar to sound like my guitar I use a couple of good mics.

HTH

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

You probably saw this thread, but just in case: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=401017

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 PM

I used a Lawrence A-300 single coil for years and loved the sound. So when I upgraded to a new guitar and a new pickup I got the Fishman single coil. I thought it sounded absolutely beautiful. A lot of people don't like how bright they are but I just thought it cut through incredibly well, especially in loud environments. Alas, I did end up having serious buzz problems when playing around neon, which I do a lot of. So I switched to the humbucker. It sounds great too but, if I could have, I would have stuck with the single coil.

Last edited by jacm81; 09-24-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:03 AM

+1 DupleMeter pickups always sound like pickups. UST's always sound harsh and spiky to me and always need some serious eq. I have a SBT on a mandolin (a cheap passive bottle top piezo) and it does the job but don't have experience of high end SBTs like k&k. Fishman Rare Earth pickups give me a quack free, low feedback, high quality output which works well in most gig situations. Other mags sound too much like an electric guitar to me (M1, SD Woody, De-Armon etc and gypsy jazz pickups like Krivo, De-Armon and Stimer).

OTOH My Selmer style has a passive BigTone bridge pickup (not a UST but a transducer encapsulated in the floating bridge itself) which sounds very good indeed. The difference between this and a UST is that with a UST the piezo element is under pressure from the saddle, I believe that is the cause of the 1kHz spike 'quackiness' of USTs.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 09-27-2015, 03:57 PM

How is the OP using the RE Blend? Into a mixer, any external preamp etc? When you compared the single coil version was it into the same system?

It's been years since I had the single coil RE but as I recall it wasn't a hot output either. I never have issues with the RE Blend. Sometimes I use an outboard preamp or straight to the mixer.

Compared to the passive K&K that was mentioned the K&K has way more output but for me that pickup has always been the most feedback prone system I've had. Plus the K&k (in my guitar) needs a lot more EQ to make it work.

I recently did a comparison of the RE Blend and my K&K in the same guitar if you want to check it out. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=402079

Personally I think you would not accomplish much by switching to the single coil version. You might be better buying an external preamp or possibly there is something wrong with your setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification