The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Any cool guitar stores, experiences that can be had in Japan?

Going to Japan and was curious if there are any cool things to check out over there
Old 05-12-2024, 07:20 AM

I would assume that a good selection of high-end Yamahas would be available in stores, unlike here in the US.

Not a guitar thing, but given the strength of the dollar, I would look to by a really nice Japanese automatic watch while there. I love mechanical stuff.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:53 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

If you can get to Gifu I'd recommend a tour of the Yairi factory. They have tours on Saturdays, but you have to schedule in advance. If I were traveling to Japan that is something I would definitely try to do.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

There is a guitar shop street near Tokyo University. Lots of shops selling both new and used.

https://tokyocheapo.com/place/ochano...guitar-street/
1982 K. Yairi YW1000 14 fret
Breedlove Oregon Concert 14 Fret
PRS Ten Top
Old 05-12-2024, 11:49 AM

Ochanomizu street is insane with guitar stores. Like nothing you will see anywhere else.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:57 PM

I’ve been there, and agree.

I’ve been to Japan twice, but the last time was in 1985, so I have no current insights. But one thing you should look for is effects pedals; when I was there pedals that cost over a hundred dollars in the US were about thirty five dollars in Japan. I bought a couple of Guyatone EQ/preamps that were superb quality. I still have them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-12-2024, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for this info. I am headed to Japan and would love to visit some stores. I am sure my wife will be equally thrilled....
I am curious to know what the etiquette is at a Japanese guitar store regarding playing without an immediate intention to buy (though, as i have discovered, one never knows....).

David
Old 05-12-2024, 07:00 PM

I don’t know whether I was violating etiquette, but the times I was in Japan I picked up and played guitars in the music stores without any store employees rushing over to make me stop. Generally the Japanese are pretty quick to correct you if you violate their etiquette. There were plenty of Japanese shoppers playing guitars the times I did it, too.

whm
Old 05-12-2024, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Just from following their YT vids for years, Dolphin guitars has an outrageously good inventory.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Just from following their YT vids for years, Dolphin guitars has an outrageously good inventory.
...and: https://www.mikigakki.com/ec/Facet?c..._0=110B0000000
https://www.blue-g.com/info/oversea.html

Miki has a Yamaha LL86 Custom guitar. Odds are you will never see one in the US since they were custom-built, and, at least according to Miki, stopped taking orders 10 years ago. And, of course, the body features just an exquisite set of BRW.

And that, has always been the rub when shopping guitars from Japan. Most of the best of of the bunch will never make it across the US border owing to customs/CITES regulations. I have even inquired about US-made BRW guitars now in Japan, and if they can be repatriated. Nope. The country of origin is irrelevant. It would be interesting to know how a BRW Claxton that recently sold on Blue-G made it into Japan in the first place. Perhaps it belonged to someone who carried it through Japanese customs without declaring what it was. Not unique. I have seen all kinds of US-made BRW guitars in Japan. Some I would like to own. Not going to happen. Which is also the gift and curse of going into a guitar shop there knowing that the ones you most would want to bring home (perhaps) are the ones you can not.

David
Old 05-13-2024, 02:10 AM

Ishibashi, TC Gakki, Dolphin, Nico Nico are great stores. Lots of inventory, lots of used and new.
Ochanomizu street is great, whole street full of shops. Kind of like Japan's Denmark street.

I recommend trying out any of the older Yamahas and Morris guitars. Some really great instruments for their price.

Just be aware that in Japan, 99% of the time, you must ask to play before picking up an instrument.
Very few places will just let you walk in and grab something off the wall.
Some places, depending on the value of the instrument, will also make you wear some type of apron to protect the guitar and will probably install some type of external clip on pickguard

Can be a little strange at first, but the folks are always very polite and excited to show you what they have. Just be polite and respectful.

I have only had one bad experience in a smaller shop where to owner was not exactly pleased I was there. He did not want me to play anything I asked to play (which were mostly old yamahas and a few other older Japanese brands). Not sure what the deal was, but I thanked him and left. No harm, no foul. Plenty of other shops.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Ochanomizu street is insane with guitar stores. Like nothing you will see anywhere else.
I want to go there very much. If I could go anywhere in the world to guitar shop, this may be the #1 place I would choose.

In Japan the advertisements are very extravagant. This is how they get people into their stores, and they rely heavily on those ads to sell products. There is no pressure from the salespeople. Quite different from here in the states.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

My first experience at a guitar store.

I asked if I could play a j-45 keb mo and the guy says "do you intend to purchase? If not I must refuse your offer".
Old 05-14-2024, 05:31 AM

I live on Okinawa and travel to Tokyo several times a year for business. Ochanomizu has probably 30 instrument stores in a 6 block area. Incredible selection. Ishibashi, TC Gakki, Guitar Planet, Hoboes Guitars, Woodman, Shimamura, Harvest Guitars. All incredible. In Shibuya there is a shop called Blue G. Simply amazing. With the current exchange rate there are a lot of great deals to be had. Also, always carry your passport. If you show it during a purchase it will be tax free. Currently sales tax is 10%. Wonderful places to be found.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 05-14-2024, 05:56 AM

I live between Osaka and Kyoto. What cities are you planning on visiting? The abundance of shops in Tokyo alone would likely satisfy most people, unless one is seeking out a specific brand/model. The flagship Fender store opened recently. The Yamaha store in Osaka is pure class, and (obviously) showcases way more than just guitars, so I can only assume the same, if not more (there is a concert hall), of the one in Ginza. Dolphin Guitars has a shop in Tokyo and Osaka (Esaka station). TC Gakki, BIGBOSS, Advance, Kurosawa, Ikebe, Miki, Shimamura -- most of these are chains, and so also have shops in Osaka (and conveniently clustered together!), Nagoya, Fukuoka, etc.
If you are going through Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, Yamaha Innovation Road is a museum I can recommend--despite not having gone there myself! Roland/BOSS and Kawai are also based there.

YAMAHA AC6R
YAMAHA FS5
YAMAHA RGX-A2
Ibanez PF-40 Flamed Maple B/S (1990s)
Ibanez RG ? MIJ (1987?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion