The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 AM

Default Custom Acoustic Builds

Hey Fellas,

New member here. I'm looking for your advice on selecting a luthier (or two) for two, maybe three custom acoustic builds.

I recently had my first custom acoustic guitar on order from master craftsman, Taku Sakashta. As you may or may not be aware, he was murdered in his shop several months back - an absolutely terrible story. He was a master luthier, and a wonderful person, may he rest in peace.

I am looking to have my guitars built by the best of the best, for sure - no compromise here. My own personal preference is to have the guitars built by a shop owned and operated by a single luthier. I own over 50 hi-end electrics both solid body and hollow, as well as archtops, and I have come to appreciate, the tone, playability, fit, finish and attention to detail I have personally experienced from hi-end, single person boutique shops. Further, I have found that I enjoy supporting those artists who put their heart and soul into their creations.

A few luthiers that I am interested in are James Olsen, Kevin Ryan and Linda Manzer. Price and build time are not an issue for me (I'm waiting almost two years now for four electric guitars from Michael Stevens). I would appreciate hearing your suggestions for other possible luthiers that I might research and consider. I thank you guys in advance for your help, and I will look forward to your replies.

All The Best !!
Tom Costigan
Old 10-31-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
A few luthiers that I am interested in are James Olsen, Kevin Ryan and Linda Manzer. Price and build time are not an issue for me

IMHO you've got to look at Bruce Sexauer (http://www.sexauerluthier.com/) and Howard Klepper. (http://www.klepperguitars.com/)
Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 AM

somoygi.....

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=197977

check this thread out...
Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 AM

Definitely check out Don Sharp's work www.sharpguitars.com . He builds along the lines of Olson and was trained in voicing by Ervin Somogyi. He's a great guy and a fabulous person to work with.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:26 AM

PM Sent. Olsons are amazing guitars. He is my favorite luthier, his work is stellar, he is great to work with, and there is no going wrong with an Olson. They also hold their values exceedingly well. Check out the build thread of my Olson #1301: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=168336

Ryans also hold their values pretty well. If going with a Ryan, go with a signature series. They really pull out all the stops on those. The signature series Nightingale I have is really quality on par and sonically speaking with that of my Brazilian Olson SJ #1301.

The next guitar in my future is a Howard Klepper Pernambuco dread. Howard is an exceptional talent and is a uber-intellect that has historically built very high quality extremely artistic instruments. He is very innovative in his bracing and utilization of materials that result in an exceptional sounding guitar based on all that I have heard. My Pernambuco guitar (Pernambuco which is a rare unobtainable tonewood from Brazil that is not able to be exported has historically been used in the finest violin bows because of its exceptional sonic properties that are reported to exceed that of Brazilian, but rarely grows in sizes that would work for guitars) will be an instrument that is less artful that what Howard typically builds but will showcase his exceptional talent in a functional instrument that was designed to be played. Definitely look seriously at Klepperguitars.com or consider having Jim Olson build you his signature SJ Brazilian/Cedar, and have Howard build you a Pernambuco guitar of a slightly different model, maybe a dread as I am doing. Would be fun to have Howard build our two guitars at the same time. Mine should start in about 2 months.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

Last edited by cpabolting; 10-31-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:16 AM

I would take a gander at the luthiers represented by Luthier's Collection --- www.luthierscollection.com. Some of my favorite builders are on there including: Somogyi, Traugott, Kraut, Matsuda, and several others that are just extraordinary.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkids View Post
(I'm waiting almost two years now for four electric guitars from Michael Stevens).
Mike was one of my teachers, going back 35+ years. Good choice. There is no one better.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I had a guitar built by John Slobod. The build thread is here http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ighlight=circa.
I've had the guitar for about 6 months, it is a joy to play. I would reccomend
you take a look at his guitars.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the AGF! This is a wonderful community with some extremely warm and friendly people.

The list so far has some wonderful suggestions. I know everyone's opinion is different but here are a couple i'd recommend if I were in your shoes...

Tom Doerr
David Taylor (DT Guitars)
Tony Vines
Batson Guitars
Laurie Williams
Paul Woolson
Lance Kragenbrink
Michael Greenfield

Kindly,
Danny
Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
and I have come to appreciate, the tone, playability, fit, finish and attention to detail I have personally experienced from hi-end, single person boutique shops. Further, I have found that I enjoy supporting those artists who put their heart and soul into their creations.
Tom Costigan
Mike Baranik is renowned for his fit and finish and attention to detail. He fits all the other criteria you list. One person shop, highly regarded, and a true artist.
Steve
Old 10-31-2010, 12:58 PM

In that rarified price range, I would also add Michi Matsuda and Kathy Wingert.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:51 PM

Welcome to the AGF!
If you truly want some special guitars you can't go wrong with James Olson or Kevin Ryan. For sure 2 awesome builders!
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 10-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Fellas,

New member here. I'm looking for your advice on selecting a luthier (or two) for two, maybe three custom acoustic builds.

I am looking to have my guitars built by the best of the best, for sure - no compromise here. My own personal preference is to have the guitars built by a shop owned and operated by a single luthier. ...
I think you may get better information on builders to research if you give us -an idea of what you are ideally looking for. There are a multitude of fantastic builders, so it seems the real question is getting the right match for you. What are you looking for in terms of tone? What music styles will you play? Do you play with a pick, fingerstyle, etc? Are certain body sizes desireable?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I highly recommend Kathy Wingert.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-31-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstone Guitars View Post
Welcome to the AGF!
If you truly want some special guitars you can't go wrong with James Olson or Kevin Ryan. For sure 2 awesome builders!
Couldn't go wrong with you either, Peter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop