The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2024, 05:04 PM

Default Pinnless Bridge and K & K Pickup?

My wife plays a pinless Taylor guitar.
Can anyone tell me for sure if a K & K can be installed on it?
Old 05-16-2024, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
My wife plays a pinless Taylor guitar.
Can anyone tell me for sure if a K & K can be installed on it?
Taylor uses a wide variety of bracing patterns dependent upon model and year. That's going to be necessary for anyone to tell you if a K&K can be installed.

Pinless bridge designs do vary a bit, so some installers drill a 1/16" hole directly under the 1st and 6th string locations ()in the slot), insert pins in the holes and then visually check with an inspection mirror.

I made up a simple positioning jig using a $2 cat playtoy laser to position K&K transducers on an instrument without pins.

Old 05-16-2024, 08:56 PM

Looks routine for installation from their pdf. Appears that the piezo transducer is attached internally with double sided adhesive film. Does the guitar already have a preamp & under saddle piezo pickup ? I'd probably opt for a removable sound hole pickup instead if it's an acoustic (unplugged only) & not already an acoustic electric ?

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...t-internal.pdf
Old 05-16-2024, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I made up a simple positioning jig using a $2 cat playtoy laser to position K&K transducers on an instrument without pins…
Love it.

Noted to self - buy cat.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:04 AM

You could use a pair of small rare earth magnets, one on top of the bridge, one taped underneath the piezo disk, to place them accurately. K&K recommends installation with medium viscosity CA, so I'd try placing them without glue first, to avoid smearing the glue under the soundboard. Check for bracing in the way first, obviously, as that might mean you can't place them in the ideal positions.

Small magnets though - the bigger ones pull with too much force for controllability and have nipped my fingers many times!
Old 05-17-2024, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

I used the magnet method to install a K&K on my Lowden with a pinless bridge. Took some care but worked well.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:05 AM

I installed JJB passive SBT’s in my Ovation 12 string and Applause 6 string. Both have pinless bridges with no bridge plate. I just had to find locations where the braces allowed placement of the 15 mm heads.

I also use blu tak putty to mount them vs glue. It allows repositioning but still holds well, and is 100% removable if desired to change it later.

I’ve been using this method for over 15 years with no problems.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 05-17-2024, 03:41 PM

I talked with my Tech today. He has built a jig to use for installing K&K style pickups in guitars, mandolins and Ukuleles.
I will have him install the K&K in the Taylor.

Once again,
Thanks for your answers to my questions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification