The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-20-2024, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Update

He has a beginner kit, Roland TD-1. It looks like that exact model isn’t current, but there are TD-1 variants that I assume can’t be too different.

There’s a snag. He hasn’t found the secret handshake to make the Roland set act appropriately as a MIDI controller while making sounds through a virtual instrument. He tried Impact and a Tom Brechtlien drums sound set Presonus bundled with gear a couple of years ago. No dice. I wasn’t able to do any good on the phone with him for an hour. He has an Atom controller that does work and we can’t tell why one percussion MIDI controller does what it’s supposed to do but the other one doesn’t.

There’s got to be some magic incantation to bring this to life. I recommended he call Roland.

At this point it’s the blind leading the blind.

But he likes the idea of collaborating, since we clear this hurdle, it’ll be on to the next one.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-21-2024, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
He has a beginner kit, Roland TD-1. It looks like that exact model isn’t current, but there are TD-1 variants that I assume can’t be too different.

There’s a snag. He hasn’t found the secret handshake to make the Roland set act appropriately as a MIDI controller while making sounds through a virtual instrument. He tried Impact and a Tom Brechtlien drums sound set Presonus bundled with gear a couple of years ago. No dice. I wasn’t able to do any good on the phone with him for an hour. He has an Atom controller that does work and we can’t tell why one percussion MIDI controller does what it’s supposed to do but the other one doesn’t.

There’s got to be some magic incantation to bring this to life. I recommended he call Roland.

At this point it’s the blind leading the blind.

But he likes the idea of collaborating, since we clear this hurdle, it’ll be on to the next one.
Humm well if he is getting sound using another midi controller but not the Roland it would seem there is something on the Roland side thta needs to be configured
Couple questions question is he connected from Roland to computer via USB cable or Midi cable ?
And second is he able to see the Roland show as a selection in S1 >External Device window ? Not at my studio computer right now so just throwing out thoughts .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-21-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post

I know that many people are adverse to reading manuals but your issue will be described in there. It's a very basic problem.

If his routing is correct than possibly it's the MIDI cable that's to blame.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I know that many people are adverse to reading manuals but your issue will be described in there. It's a very basic problem.

If his routing is correct than possibly it's the MIDI cable that's to blame.
Yeah, he and I are both kind of Luddites with low tolerance for tech that does not snap into action. I do believe this has a simple solution. We’ll get there.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 05-21-2024 at 12:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD