The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-10-2024, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Amplified sound

Last night I did an open mic at a cool distillery with a fantastic sound system. I’ve played full gigs there in the past. This time I played my Nick Lucas copy guitar with a Skysonic Mag/Sbt combo pickup. I run it through a NUX optima air, as I do with my other guitar with the Goaa pickup. I get terrific sound with both guitars and the pedal.

Afterwards other players are asking me about what kind of guitar I have, because it sounds so good,

. . , it’s really the pickup and the pedal they are hearing. The acoustic guitar hardly contributes sonically to what they hear in the house. But nobody focuses on that.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:36 PM

Sounds like you have a nice set up.
Always nice to get compliments.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Tonight I went to a different open mic in a bar. A cobbled together system in a narrow bar plus outdoor speakers. Same guitar. Same pedal. Crappy weak sound. After one song I tried to boost my signal. The guy who set it up came over and lowered the mains. Apparently the management does want “ loud” music. I could hear my acoustic sound more than the amplified one. And I was over strumming to try to compensate for lack of reinforcement.

Nice people. I won’t be back.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:12 PM

Yup. Guitars through pickups all sound the same. It's the pickup, effects, and amp or PA people hear.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:12 AM

Maybe you entered the mixer as a Mic instead of Line level. So they did not pad -26db and no Gain. Apparently it is perfect, in reality it is a disaster because instrument level is overdriving the mic preamp and byebye good acoustic sound. Always enter as a line level and the use gain. Or use a DI and enter mic level .
Old 05-12-2024, 01:27 PM

Marshall and I play a lot of the same places and he's a good player and singer. He always has a nice guitar tone with his equipment. And, yes, the system he's referring to is sub optimal. In fact, there are so many systems like that I have tailored my approach to it.

I just use a passive K&K into the sound system, with the occasional preamp in front. If the house sound is good, the K&K will sound amazing to me. If the house sound is bad, the K&K will sound "OK." I am not thrilled with the sound from the system Marshall describes, but it's not usually enough to throw me off my game.

I will say the distillery has one of the two best systems I get to play through. The operators there are usually pretty good too. And, they offer professional wireless packs, making a passive pickup very easy to amplify. The other venue being the Woodstock Stage Left Cafe with a well designed house system and excellent operators. I always get great sound there and I do think it adds to confidence while performing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification