The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It looks like the lil' red one might be a better size and possibly a better match for levels.
I'm pretty sure it'll be a better size. What makes you say it'd possibly be a better match for levels?

One thing I like on this Traveler pre-amp is the GAIN knob. I like dialing it just a bit of gain because it makes the sound more distinctive. And it's actually interesting to add a lot MORE gain to get a much more electric sound (sorta like a built-in distortion pedal).

Quote:
You can probably look around and find a smaller patch cord to port the preamp output to your aux input. I'm sure you're looking for something that doesn't look kludged together.
I can keep looking. I'm thinking a right angle plug out of the pickup rather than a straight one. I've got a local guy who can probably build me something that would work if I can't find it available commercially.

Quote:
Borsi might be receptive to adding a small preamp so their pickup could be seamlessly ported to the AUX input of the guitar. It looks like the housing has room to do that easily.
I wonder if they even thought about it . . . it seems like a great idea that they might implement.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
You can probably look around and find a smaller patch cord to port the preamp output to your aux input. I'm sure you're looking for something that doesn't look kludged together.
This looks like it'd work well (I probably have one around the house somewhere, but it's not worth looking for it. LOL)

https://www.amazon.com/Chadou-Adapte.../dp/B084VGXK45

And I already have a package of these (just bought them for the Traveler pre-amp) . . . it already has the right angle that I want built-in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1Z3SJS
Old 05-19-2024, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
BTW, how'd you stumble across Borsi and this pickup?
that's exactly how....stumbling across the internet! Maybe it was at yamaha musicians ?

It seems to fill a void so obvious you have to wonder why yamaha didn't think of it. But I'd bet nylon ysg's are more prevalent, so there goes the market.

It's about time for yam to upgrade. The most obvious upgrade is the addition of a mag pickup into the mix.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 05-20-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I'm pretty sure it'll be a better size. What makes you say it'd possibly be a better match for levels?

One thing I like on this Traveler pre-amp is the GAIN knob. I like dialing it just a bit of gain because it makes the sound more distinctive. And it's actually interesting to add a lot MORE gain to get a much more electric sound (sorta like a built-in distortion pedal).

I can keep looking. I'm thinking a right angle plug out of the pickup rather than a straight one. I've got a local guy who can probably build me something that would work if I can't find it available commercially.

I wonder if they even thought about it . . . it seems like a great idea that they might implement.
The Traveler is actually designed to drive headphones. Although the AUX of the Yamaha is designed to use that level the smaller mini-pre MIGHT be more compatable for matching the mags to your guitar, rather than overpowering the piezo pickup.

If you like the distortion component of the Traveler then it might suit your purposes better. I'm not a big distortion fan, but distortion that results from simply overdriving an input (like the AUX being used here...) is usually too ratty for my taste. YMMV, obviously.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
The Traveler is actually designed to drive headphones. Although the AUX of the Yamaha is designed to use that level the smaller mini-pre MIGHT be more compatable for matching the mags to your guitar, rather than overpowering the piezo pickup.
Hmmm, I have the Traveler output set to the max (or nearly) and the AUX-IN on the Yamaha set to the max (or nearly), and the volume level seems to work well.

I have no idea if the red pre-amp is gonna have a weaker or hotter output than the Traveler . . . I guess we'll see.

One thing I like about the Traveler is that it has an ON/OFF switch. Which is good, unless I forget to turn it off.

I assume that the red one automatically switches on/off . . . probably based on whether something is plugged into it . . . rather than if it's plugged into something . . . not sure how I'd go about figuring that out unless it has a light on it or something to indicate when it's powered on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification