View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X20 guys - question

I queried Sean at Emerald whether I could get a custom X20 with features like a short scale, custom neck carve, etc. Of course the answer is YES!

So I'm really considering a custom build. The three I've seen come through here with the cocobolo veneers are just so attractive that they've got me thinking I might jump on that bandwagon. Even though one does not generally think of cocobolo as a top wood, I much prefer darker tops like on my burst finish Santa Cruz 1929 00.

The 'standard' pickups they offer now are the LR Baggs Element VTC (volume & tone control). Sean said they offer the LR Baggs Anthem for an up-charge. There was no mention of the K&K although I know they used to offer them, again as a custom order since the body needed special shaping on the inside to accommodate the SBT gluing. Sean did say that they had gotten away from the barn door pick systems.

I generally prefer the simplicity of the K&K system and if I have a choice I usually install that. Although it is nice to have volume and tone controls in the sound hole and a hotter signal. Complaints I've read about the Element system is they sound tinny. Since I play fingerstyle with meat of fingertips having extra treble is not a bad thing for me. I did briefly own an X20 with the Fishman barn door and it wasn't too bad. It sounded good, at least.

Anyway, my question is for everyone that has an X20 -

1.) What pickup system do you have (assuming you have one) and how do you like it?
2.) What are the strengths and weaknesses of what you have?
3.) If you had to do it again or were doing custom order, what would you get in your X20?