The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-09-2002, 02:56 PM

Default prs guitars

From time to time I see people who say they have Taylor acoustics and PRS electrics and wouldn't have it any other way. I looked at PRS on Ebay and they are moderately pricey. I used to play Les Pauls but I like a tremelo bar and I don't like the weight. So anybody who has a PRS and a few minutes shoot me the skinny. thanks mark
Old 08-09-2002, 03:04 PM

Lots of skinny. . .

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...Smith-Guitars/
Old 08-09-2002, 03:52 PM

well well well somebody after my own heart !!! prs is prob bang for buck one of the best elect's out there. the a new custom 24 will set u back a few bucks but what the hay, ur worth it !!! don't look at the santana modle's if u play a taylor u won't be happy w/this lower end knock off (they just started making) .!!!yes a custom 22 or 24 in my mind is bang for buck the best elect. out there. if u need more skinny get ahold of carlos santana he might know a little more about them than me.....bill
A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his head is a tradesman. But, man who works with his hands his head and his heart is a professional..... Taylor is a great name for baby boys & girls!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 06:30 PM

I agree with Bill... the Customs are the ones to look at. Top of the line Santana model (close to $4,000) if you can afford it, the Dragon series few can afford ($10,000+). You can probably find Customs with neck-through-the-body for about $1,500 used.

Some of the key PRS terms:

* 10 Top - on a scale of 1 to 10, a flawless maple top is rated a 10 (stamped on the back of the headstock). Both flame and quilt maple.

* Bird inlays - many models have abalone bird inlays on the fretboard.

* sweet switch - an optional switch that kicks in a tone frequency variation.

* I don't know if the still do this, but mine has a Brazilian rosewood fretboard.

My 1991 PRS screams, sustains forever, looks spectacular and weighs much less than a Les Paul. It is effortless to get great sounds from it. Although he copied the mahogany body, maple top design of the Les Paul, Paul Reed Smith has added some nice new touches... and his quality is flawless.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:48 PM

Default Now you've done it

I really appreciate the advice, 1500 is probably possible as opposed to 15,000. I will keep my eye on evil bay as I am selling some pa stuff to buy an electric and I really like the PRS I have heard. Again, thanks for the assist.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:05 PM
.tom the übergeek

I play a 2002 PRS Custom 22 10 Top and it is amazing. I have the McCarty switching (from the factory) and love the tones I get. The Wide Fat neck is very comfortable and really has lessened the hand strain I was experiencing with my Strats and Telecasters. I am pretty well sold....though I still feel more natural playing my Strat, I am getting over it.
Old 08-10-2002, 12:41 PM

I have two PRSs, a semi-hollow body custom 22 and a ce 24. Both are nice guitars. I have had; strats, teles, les pauls, gretch, and some others I don't remember but the PRSs are heads above the rest IMHO. To me PRS guitars are to the electrics, what Taylors are to acoustics. A very good value for your money. Don't know if this is true or not but I heard Paul Smith and Bob Taylor are cousins.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:05 PM

I own a PRS singlecut. Being a former Les Paul player, the singlecut is an overall improvement in feel and tone. But since you are looking into PRS with tremolo, the custom 22 with wide fat neck will be more familiar for les paul players. The wide thin on custom 24's reminds me of Ibanez guitars and all the 80's shredding guitars.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:01 AM

Maybe I'm jsut old and set in my ways, but I'd rather pickup a '68 Les Paul than a new PRS. Not sure what a '68 Les Paul goes for these days, but I imagine you could pick one up for the price of a high end PRS.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:17 AM

I love the sound of PRS, I don't have one yet though. One thing thats been preventing me from getting one is the neck. They have a really really long heel. Ever since 95' ??. And I just can't stand it. If I got one I'd have to get a used one.

I'm looking at a Warrior guitar. They sound great, remind me of PRS in fact, and I love the neck.

Just my 2 cents

Go SPURS Go
Old 08-12-2002, 09:27 AM

If you are interested in picking up a used PRS, 2 other sources would be HC and the PRS Forum. In the PRS Forum check both the Forum Pub as well as the Gear page. They both have For Sale areas.

You should be able to pick up any kind you want. Check them all out before you by them. There are many different models and they all sound slightly different. I have a bunch of them and do think that PRS is to electric as Taylor is to acoustics....well made great sounding instruments!
Old 08-12-2002, 10:27 AM

I have 3 PRSs (CE22, CE24, Hollowbody w/Piezo) and love them. A new CE22 or 24 will set you back less than $1,500 and they are very nice guitars. The 22 fret models have a longer heel on them to eliminate dead notes on the neck. My CE22 has the long heel and it's not a problem at all. The CEs have a bolt in maple neck, where the customs have a set in mahogony neck.

Price wise they are pretty comparable to most Les Paul type guitars, new will run from $1,400 to about $2,300 depending on which model. The more options (10 top, birds, etc) you add will increase that price.

In my mind, like Taylor guitars, PRS guitars have a high dollar price tag, but are a great bargain.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:33 AM

To add to what Roger said, sweet switches are only on very old models (they were replaced by tone controls) and the fingerboards are no longer brazillian.

The prsforum.com is a great reference as well. Many of us are members on both boards.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:00 PM

Have any of you guys tried the Tom Anderson guitars? Compare the TA Drop Top and see what you think. Tom uses alot of the same processes in manufacturing as Bob Taylor. Anderson only makes about 700 guitars a year and they are special. I been in the factory, it's a small operation and quality in every instrument, and the price is not much different than PRS. If you are ever in the Oxnard CA area stop by the factory for a tour, they are real nice people. Tom Anderson also plays in a Praise band'
ednotes02
Old 08-14-2002, 09:05 AM

If you currently have a Les Paul just put a Bigsby on it.

The Mcarty model PRS will have the closest Les Paul tone with a Trem as an option. PRS makes a Single Cut but the Trem isn't an option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars