The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2005, 10:10 PM

Default ordered a Martin D-15 Custom (Rosewood)

For years I played a 70s Epiphone Texan that a cousin gave me, but in the last 6 months, I've gotten serious about playing and improving. So, naturally, I needed up upgrade the intrument, too

Ordered the Martin D-15 Custom with solid rosewood sides and back from Musician's Friend today. Should be getting it on Friday or Saturday. I'm very excited and a bit nervous. I played a Taylor 214 (which I liked), a standard D-15 (didn't like too much) and a D-16, which I really liked (but was out of my price range). Since this D-15 custom is a custom, I was unable to give it a test run before ordering. However, they have a 45 day return policy. I figured if I don't like it, I'll send it back for the Taylor 214.

Anyone have this custom model? What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:12 PM

You will love it. I sold one very recently and i miss it.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:33 PM

Thanks, DV Guy. What are the upgrades to this model one would make? Saddle and bridge pins, I suppose?
Old 12-31-2005, 07:38 AM

I did tusq bridge pins. I like them. Martins now come with tusq saddles, instead of micarta. Tusq is better than Micarta (to most people).
Old 12-31-2005, 09:36 AM

Congratulations!!

Old 12-31-2005, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted8
Thanks, DV Guy. What are the upgrades to this model one would make? Saddle and bridge pins, I suppose?
I had a D15 Custom spruce and rosewood. I put in a bone saddle and it made it too trebly, so I went back to the original saddle.

Best advice I can give is to just try different types of strings and different gauges first. When you find the string you like best, then you can start thinking of other changes, if you still think they are necessary.

Jim
Old 01-01-2006, 08:14 PM

If yours is anything like mine You will love it. Best buy on "anything" I've bought in a long time.Can't say enough about it. Shipping was fast, came with a really nice case, and the guitar is wonderful in my opinion. Tuned mine 1 step down and the sound is awesome.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:59 AM

I received the guitar last night (UPS was supposed to require a signature when they dropped it off, but they just dropped it off. Luckily, they did so only a few minutes before I got home!).

I really like it so far. It feels very light compared to my Epiphone. It only needed a little tuning (of course), but the action is set much like how I prefer.

It sounds very beautiful and it's much easier to play than my Epiphone was. So far, so good!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
ounds very beautiful and it's much easier to play than my Epiphone was. So far, so good!
Sweeeeet!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion