The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-06-2022, 10:20 AM
Inyo Inyo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,676
Default Judith Durham Tribute--My Solo Acoustic Instrumental Version of "A World of Our Own"

Judith Durham--lead singer for The Seekers--passed on August 5, 2022, at the age of 79. She possessed one of the genuinely great voices of the Pop-Rock Era, indeed.

Here's my solo acoustic instrumental interpretation of the classic Tom Springfield composition. A World of Our Own--#19 US Billboard Pop, #2 US Billboard Adult Contemporary, #2 Australia, #1 South Africa, #3 UK, #2 Ireland, and #5 Canada for The Seekers, 1965. In 1968, the Sonny James cover of A World of Our Own went #1 US Billboard Country.

I'm playing a 1968 Stella Harmony H912 12-string, by the way:

A World of Our Own
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2022, 12:02 PM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 11,123
Default

Nice Cover, Inyo!

It was sad to learn of Judith's passing. Ken Bradshaw from Australia posted a notice about Judith's passing on my Kingston Crossroads discussion board early this morning. That's how I found out about it.

https://members4.boardhost.com/Kings...659773764.html

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/nati...180jpojpnrnvai

__________________
Martin HD-28 Sunburst/Trance M-VT Phantom
Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R Tommy Emmanuel/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Ovation Elite Plus
Yamaha FGX5
Avian Skylark 2A
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2022, 08:22 PM
Inyo Inyo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Nice Cover, Inyo!

It was sad to learn of Judith's passing. Ken Bradshaw from Australia posted a notice about Judith's passing on my Kingston Crossroads discussion board early this morning. That's how I found out about it.

https://members4.boardhost.com/Kings...659773764.html

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/nati...180jpojpnrnvai

Thanks a bunch for the good words. Very much appreciated, indeed. And thanks loads for the links, and image.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2022, 12:02 PM
string1399 string1399 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 674
Default

You have certainly captured the wonderful sound of The Seekers. So sad to hear about Judith. I still go back and watch their videos of this song, I'll Never Find Another You, and Georgy Girl.
__________________
John

Emerald X30
Peavey Max 150 Bass Amp
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2022, 01:30 PM
Inyo Inyo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1399 View Post
You have certainly captured the wonderful sound of The Seekers. So sad to hear about Judith. I still go back and watch their videos of this song, I'll Never Find Another You, and Georgy Girl.
Thanks a beaucoup bunch, indeed. Their videos are great. A couple that immediately come to mind: Performing the Paul Simon composition "Someday One Day" in their 1967 television special "The Seekers Down Under;" and the studio-situated venue where they sing "I'll Never Find Another You." Excellent archival Seekers material, showcasing Judith's amazing voice.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2022, 02:49 PM
nickv6 nickv6 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 734
Default

Her singing on The Carnival is Over nearly always brings me close to tears. She had something in that voice.
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2022, 08:55 AM
Inyo Inyo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
Her singing on The Carnival is Over nearly always brings me close to tears.
A peculiar reaction to that song, indeed. It's a joyous song, actually, in one analyzes it correctly.

Last edited by Inyo; 09-09-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2022, 10:23 AM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 41,391
Default

Hi Inyo,

Thanks for this! Great job!

I was saddened to learn of Judith Durham's death. What a voice and what a sweet lady. I'm glad she had a chance to leave a little legacy behind.

- Glenn
__________________
My You Tube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2022, 09:50 AM
Inyo Inyo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Inyo,

Thanks for this! Great job!

I was saddened to learn of Judith Durham's death. What a voice and what a sweet lady. I'm glad she had a chance to leave a little legacy behind.

- Glenn
Thanks loads, indeed, for the good words. Very much appreciated. She really did have a wonderful career.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-11-2022, 01:56 PM
ReneAsologuitar ReneAsologuitar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 1,342
Default

Great tribute to a great singer and beautiful soul.
May she Rest In Peace.
Thanks for this beautiful guitar work, in her honor.
Rene
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-11-2022, 08:45 PM
Inyo Inyo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAsologuitar View Post
Great tribute to a great singer and beautiful soul.
May she Rest In Peace.
Thanks for this beautiful guitar work, in her honor.
Rene
Thank you a big bunch. She was a a tremendous talent, indeed.

Last edited by Inyo; 08-12-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=