The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-10-2022, 04:54 AM
Rick Jones Rick Jones is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,008
Default Jenny of Oldstones



IMHO, the best thing about the Game of Thrones TV series was the score and the music. Composer Ramin Djawadi just nailed that whole faux-Medieval but-with-edge thing.

I tried to capture the build up of tension here, so please listen past the slightly-fluffed first verse if you would!
__________________
Rick

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2022, 06:43 AM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,636
Default

Super nice job, Rick.

The series certainly has some brilliant music used. I sometimes sit around and play the main theme, which I became interested in after hearing Flatt Lonesome play it for the Bluegrass Awards show. Here's Flatt Lonesome doing a live version of the G.O.T. main theme:

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2022, 07:23 AM
Rick Jones Rick Jones is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Super nice job, Rick.

The series certainly has some brilliant music used. I sometimes sit around and play the main theme, which I became interested in after hearing Flatt Lonesome play it for the Bluegrass Awards show. Here's Flatt Lonesome doing a live version of the G.O.T. main theme:

Ah that's just brilliant! Such a great melody that it keeps it's 'feel' across genres, and those folks are clearly very tight and talented as a group. Thank you for showing me that, I love it, especially when they switch up and let the soloists loose!

I sometimes lapse into a sort of chord-melody of that theme tune myself when transitioning between certain songs at a gig... just a few bars is enough to make anyone who knows what it is in the audience perk up and laugh. Just proves that it's already somewhat iconic.
__________________
Rick

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2022, 09:54 AM
ReneAsologuitar ReneAsologuitar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 2,027
Default

Hi Rick,
Guitar playing is great.
Guitar tone is lovely.
Glad to hear this fab song.
Thanks.
Rene
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2022, 10:11 AM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 44,746
Default

I was never able to get into Game of Thrones because of the intensity of the violence depicted, so I don't know or remember that song, but it doesn't matter. Your version sounds very cool, very musical, just right.

Nice guitar playing, too! A pleasure to listen to, Rick! Well done!

- Glenn
__________________
My You Tube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2022, 10:18 AM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,658
Default

Great job Rick!
__________________

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Alvarez 00 and Seagull folk


Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Classical on YouTube

Orion {arr.: Jason Mollberg}:

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2022, 04:12 AM
Rick Jones Rick Jones is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAsologuitar View Post
Hi Rick,
Guitar playing is great.
Guitar tone is lovely.
Glad to hear this fab song.
Thanks.
Rene
Thank you Rene, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I was never able to get into Game of Thrones because of the intensity of the violence depicted, so I don't know or remember that song, but it doesn't matter. Your version sounds very cool, very musical, just right.

Nice guitar playing, too! A pleasure to listen to, Rick! Well done!

- Glenn
That's quite understandable, it's certainly very graphic in places. The score is fantastic, and the way the cello is used as the lead voice in most of the motifs and themes was what drew me to downloading the music from the series, and I often have it on whilst working (I'm an illustrator for a day job). I'm glad to say I don't 'see' the scenes when I hear the music as can happen with such things... I imagine if I did, I wouldn't enjoy it so much.

Thank you very much for the listen and the kind words, I do appreciate both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Great job Rick!
Thank you Barry! A fellow Avalonite, no less
__________________
Rick

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2022, 08:11 AM
Forest Dweller Forest Dweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 486
Default

I sat and watched that all the way through utterly transfixed- I don't know the song and I'm afraid to say I've never watched GOT but that song was beautiful. You sound like you are in command of an entire orchestra, and the fact that you achieve that through flatpicking (something I'm no good at!) is even more amazing.
Robbie
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/user/ukRobbieJ1
https://robbiej1.bandcamp.com
Guitars:
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2022, 08:23 AM
Rick Jones Rick Jones is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Dweller View Post
I sat and watched that all the way through utterly transfixed- I don't know the song and I'm afraid to say I've never watched GOT but that song was beautiful. You sound like you are in command of an entire orchestra, and the fact that you achieve that through flatpicking (something I'm no good at!) is even more amazing.
Robbie
Ah Robbie that's such a nice comment, thank you! You have a touch on the guitar that pulls the sounds out in a way I can't fathom, and it's an honour that you like my playing.
__________________
Rick

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=