The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Default SOLD -Emile Gervais Modified Dreadnought Cutaway in the Somogyi Tradition, Beautiful!

SOLD - Selling my Emile Gervais special design modified dreadnought in near mint condition. Emile is an extremely talented young Quebec luthier and graduate of the prestigious Bruand School of Lutherie in Montreal. As you can see, this piece is very much in the tradition of Ervin Somogyi. I’ve owned guitars from other Somogyi disciples (I sold my Mario Beauregard OM on this site not too long ago), and I can tell you that although his prices are far lower and he is just now beginning to gain recognition, the quality of his instruments are every bit the equal of Mario’s work in every way.

This instrument was completed in June of 2019. It has 12 frets to the body, which features a Florentine cut-away with a beautifully crafted, modest arm bevel for extra comfort without compromising the top or the aesthetics. Premium materials and appointments throughout. The sound board is as creamy a piece of Engelman Spruce as you’re likely to find, and the back and sides are an eye-popping set of premium grade, Canadian Cherry with lots of silking and medullary rays. If you’re not familiar, Cherry is a superb tone wood. Some describe it as combining the best features of Rosewood and Mahogany, but to my ear it’s closer to the mellowness and tonal balance of Rosewood than it is to Mahogany, but with a tad more clarity at all registers which is ideal for a larger body size like this. As you can see from the pictures, the color is a lovely, deep amber which will continue to become darker and richer over time. Sets of this quality also exhibit a three-dimensional effect, seeming to move and flow and change color from light to dark with every shift in the angle of the light.

The neck is Spanish Cedar, with a dual-action fiberglass truss rod installed. The fretboard, endpins, and the elegantly carved bridge are Indian Ebony. The hardware consists of top of the line, 21:1 ratio Gotoh 510 "Super Machine Heads" and EvoGold medium frets with no visible fret wear. The bone nut and saddle are both extra wide, in the Somogyi tradition.

Cosmetically, this guitar is an absolute stunner. The neck is as smooth as glass and finished in high-gloss, piano black with ultra-fine, gold accent lines, as are the sculpted heel, body bindings, fretboard bindings, and rosette. Emile favors modern, simple geometric designs, and this one is to die for. No dings, scratches, or other damage of any kind anywhere that I can see.

The scale length is 640mm (25.2 inches) and the nut width is 1.75”. I’m primarily a fingerstyle player, and to me modified dreads are the perfect guitar for that, but it absolutely shines with a flatpick as well, and the set-up, intonation, and playability are all spot on everywhere up and down the fretboard. A K&K pickup has been professionally installed.

I’m looking to net $xxxxx here, so I’m setting the price at $xxxxx including shipping to anywhere in the continental U.S. If you choose to use regular PayPal the fees are on you. Thanks for looking.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by dogdog49; 04-26-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:33 PM
Musical minimalist

Wow - that looks great - what is the saddle spacing? What kind of case?

Old 04-25-2022, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi Fitness1. Yes, this is the most physically beautiful guitar I've ever owned, bling-free perfection. The string spacing at the saddle is 61mm. That translates as a hair over 2-3/8". Perfect for fingerstyle. It comes with its original case, a heavy, high-quality, 6-lock hard case with gold hardware.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:31 PM
Musical minimalist

Sent you a PM...

Old 04-25-2022, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Default gervais

pm sent ... just in case.
Crosby Elite Festival Multiscale - redwood/walnut
Crosby Elite Dreadnought Multiscale- redwood/maple
Irvin SJ
Ken Franklin-"Wiley"
Breedlove RD/Ebony Dreadnought Henderson
Harmony H162 Conversion
Breedlove Pro D25
Old 04-25-2022, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

What a stunningly beautiful instrument this is.

I’m not in the market, but couldn’t resist commenting.

GLWTS!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-25-2022, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
What a stunningly beautiful instrument this is.

I’m not in the market, but couldn’t resist commenting.

GLWTS!
Thanks, David. It is indeed.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yow!

This is something special.

I find it very hard to argue with almost any decent 12 fret Dreadnought, but this is SO classy.

Whew!

Best on this

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-26-2022, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
This is something special.

I find it very hard to argue with almost any decent 12 fret Dreadnought, but this is SO classy.

Whew!

Best on this

Paul
Thanks, Paul. Yes, classy is the perfect word! If guitars were clothes, this one would definitely be a tuxedo!
Old 04-26-2022, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Wow! That is so striking in appearance. Your use of the word 'piano' in the visual description is spot on. I love the modern, angular look of the neck heal and that all the binding, the arm bevel and other appointments are that same high gloss, piano-like black finish. Combined with the light-colored top, back and sides it gives a modern contrast of elegance.

I'm unfamiliar with cherry as a tonewood. How heavy is it compared to other tonewoods? Are there any video or sound clips of it being played? How does it amplify? Is the guitar currently located in Canada? (Assumption based on where it was made. Wondering for shipping.)
Old 04-26-2022, 05:44 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Are there any video or sound clips of it being played? Is the guitar currently located in Canada?
I was told Oregon, and working on sound clips. He may not be up for a while with the time difference, so I thought I'd weigh in.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I was told Oregon, and working on sound clips. He may not be up for a while with the time difference, so I thought I'd weigh in.
I figured as much after seeing his late-night post that he was probably on the west coast! Looks like I'm at least third in line for this guitar anyway. I listened to the few YouTube sound clips I could find for cherry backed guitars and wasn't overly impressed, not that that means anything.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:59 AM

No longer able to handle this size, but if I were I'd start/join a bidding war for this! Simple, elegant beauty. GLWTS!
2011 Charis Dread, Kronbauer TDK #50, Kronbauer TDK #248, 2004 Taylor 810 CE-L7, 1995 Bourgeois Slope D, 1993 Martin J 18, 1969 Martin D 12-20, 1966 Japanese 'Kiso' Dread, 2007 W E Moll L1 Proto.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Good morning, y'all. Yes, I'm in Oregon. Cherry is considered a medium weight tonewood. Read about it online and you will see many raves, but like everything else, it's the builder that really counts. Although it's difficult to describe tone, what I said in the ad copy is true. On this instrument, whether it's the Cherry, the Engelman, the bracing, the build quality or all of it together (which, of course, it is) the tone is as warm, rich, and full as any of my Rosewood instruments, but a bit more articulate and balanced from bass to treble, which I think is important for a guitar of this size. It really sounds, if I can sum it up, a lot like my best Rosewood fingerstyle guitars, only "bigger".

Unfortunately, I don't have sound clips as I only have my crappy Android phone to record with which makes everything sound thin and muddy. Somebody is going to have to either come to Oregon or just go for it, but everything about this guitar is more what you'd expect at a $10,000.00+ price point, so I really believe you won't be disappointed. If you insist on a soundclip, PM me and I'll record something - but it really won't do justice or tell you much.

Lots of interest, with some expressing an intention to buy, but no one has sent the cash yet, so it is still available.

Last edited by dogdog49; 04-26-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

The guitar has been sold. Thank, everyone, for your comments and interest.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars