The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: RainSong DR-BI 12 fret dread in Black Ice - updated after using for gigs

Update: Scroll down to post #14 for post-gig updates plus feedback on the RainSong gig bag plus photos.

Summary: NOS RainSong DR-BI 12-fret dread in Black Ice finish. Lightweight, great tone, neat finish, accomplishes what I'd hoped it would.

Detailed: For those that have been following the recent threads on RainSong Black Ice finish guitars, as foreseen/foretold/dared/goaded by Mr. Eastwood, Methos has gone ahead and purchased a RainSong 12-fret dread in Black Ice finish. Btw, Mr. Eastwood has gone into the Federal Witness Protection program as Mrs. Methos is looking for him! Anyway, back to the subject at hand. For the past several months I have been playing and gigging with my RainSong Nashville Custom OM Shorty and I really like it, especially plugged in. But fully 75% of our gigs that we are book these days are acoustic-only due to the small size of many of the assisted living homes we tend to favor.

The Nashville OM did a fairly decent job at those but I wanted something with a bit more volume and brighter tone. Enter the search for a RainSong 12-fret dread. I was hoping to find a used Vintage model to avoid the wait and expense of ordering a new custom but nothing popped. While RainSong will do a 12 fret neck on any model they make at no upcharge, they tend to be rare. Last week a NOS one popped at Dave's Guitars in Wisconsin in the Black Ice finish. Black Ice is not my favorite but I like it better than the plain black. I did like the idea of a non-vintage model for the brighter tones when played acoustically as well. After getting some feedback from those here who own Black Ice models I went ahead and made the deal.

I'd never dealt with Dave's Guitars before and they were excellent. I'd like to give a shoutout to Josiah who was great to work with. They gave me a good price on a 2019 NOS guitar, put fresh strings on it and a full setup before going out the door. When they missed shipping the day I purchased they sent it out the next day with upgraded two-day shipping. Awesome! The guitar arrived yesterday. As usual for RainSong, it came in their over-the-top and (in my opinion) unnecessary hard shell case. I much prefer gig bags for carbon fiber guitars. Heck, I prefer them for my wood guitars. Even the Froggy Bottom goes out into public with me in a gig bag, albeit a high end one with copious and sturdy padding.

As with every CF guitar I've purchased - probably ten or eleven to date - it arrived not detuned and still in perfect tune. It's also very nice to not worry about a guitar being damaged in shipping due to force or temperature extremes because it's carbon fiber. Even temperature acclimation and stabilization is not as big a deal. Upon opening the guitar it's appearance was striking. As I've stated on multiple occasions, I'm not a big fan of the Black Ice guitar finish but I don't hate it. I guess I'm ambivalent, at best. But between the plain black and the Black Ice I do prefer the Black Ice. Part of that is the general feedback that it's a head-turner and conversation starter when played in public, something I like.

The guitar is very lightweight. The short scale neck is perfect and the N2 neck 'carve' (mold?), nut width and string spacing are exactly the same as the Nashville OM. Both of these necks are also very similar to my 12-fret Froggy Bottom H12 including the flatter radius. so moving between the three is different only in tone and body size. As for tone, as expected the Black Ice dread is indeed louder although only by a little bit. The tonal palette is definitely wider with deeper lows and higher and more shimmering trebles. This is something I was hoping for as the fingerstyle songs tend to lose some detail when played full acoustic with the Nashville as the SFT wood infused top 'warms up' that CF tone

I've already 'made the guitar mine' by swapping out the chrome tuning buttons for wood ebony ones that were on the Nashville. The Nashville got the snakewood wood tuner buttons that were on the Cole Clark Angel since I figure the snakewood would look better on the Nashville burst guitar and the ebony on the Black Ice. The Cole Clark has been returned to stock for potential sale. I'm going to post a short demo video where I compare and contrast the Black Ice with the Nashville. It was recorded on the mobile phone so it's only so good but I can definitely hear the subtle differences. I think the DR-BI will do what I want and need it to do - be the primary gig guitar for acoustic-only performances and a backup to the Nashville OM for live shows.

We have two acoustic-only shows next week so I'll be sure to post an update then to say how they went as well as any more feelings and/or findings after I've owned and played it for a longer time. I can say that the Nashville seems to have 'opened up' if that is possible and seems louder than it was when I first bought it, maybe in part due to the wood infused top. I did manage to find a rare genuine RainSong gig bag that is no longer offered. Ted at LA Guitars has a few. That will get here on Monday, just in time for gigs on Tuesday. I'll add some thoughts and photos on that when it arrives. Photos to follow in the next post. As always, thanks for reading!

Demo video:

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-25-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the great review and congrats on the new Rainsong...
Old 02-10-2022, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Photos, as promised!

I do like the look best in the bright sunlight where the patterns really pop.

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-11-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I don’t know whether to laugh or hide

Perhaps I could offer this as a service - if you’re on the edge of buying a guitar, just let me know. For a small fee, I can push you over.

Seriously, I love the black ice finish. If you’re going to use a modern material, you may as well show off its properties. Way better than veneers or mediocre sunbursts, IMO.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-10-2022, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Methos! Thanks for your review and comparison. It looks great with the ebony tuners. I must say though, I love the Nashville you have, such a gorgeous burst. Looks like you're set to cover whatever gigs come your way.

An aside, I think the Baggs Element Pro sounds really good with carbon guitars, I really like it in my CH-OM.

Congrats again.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 02-10-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:20 PM

Congrats on the new RainSong Methos. Good to see banter on AGF about them again. Great guitars!
Old 02-10-2022, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful RainSong Black Ice Dreadnought, Methos--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-10-2022, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

That Nashville is really attractive ! Oh...wait, this post was about the BI, I like the appearance, but not my favorite I guess. Looking forward to your report after you use it, that's what matters....thanks for posting.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:04 PM

Congrats Methos, looking forward to seeing and hearing it soon! Glad you found what you were looking for.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Black Ice Rainsong! Looks sharp.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Rainsong. And brilliant move on leveraging David's advice to deflect any potential household angst. I'll have to remember that.

I'll bet that black ice top will be a good conversation starter.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Someone hit me up on PM asking about the what stap lock system they saw me apparently using swapping out guitars in the video. Here is my reply to him, plus some photos:

I use strap locks on most of my guitars. I went over to the D'Addario strap buttons several years ago back when they were still Planet Waves branded. I like the more aggressively angular and deeper slotted recess which seems to hold straps much better than the usual shallow, smooth radius you see with most stock strap buttons that tend to more easily allow the strap to slip off.

I eventually decided to go full strap lock but didn't like the usual ones I found that were heavy, complicated and a chore to install. Then I found the D'Addario system that worked with my preferred (and existing) strap buttons. I was delighted with this system because besides the simple function it was also the easiest system to install (and remove) especially on the thick Levy leather straps I prefer.

To use strap locks on guitars with pickup jack/bottom button combos I use the Acousti-Loc offset strap button system designed to work with jacks. This allows me to use a strap lock at both ends while still plugging in. I do change out the strap button that comes with the Acousti-Loc as the stock one will not work with the D'Addario strap lock system. This requires me to drill out the button a bit to get the screw to fully seat.

Photos to follow.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Photos

Old 02-25-2022, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Post-gig update plus gig bag thoughts

As I promised, I wanted to post an update after the guitar had been used for a couple gigs. I've now used the Black Ice dread on four gigs in the last two weeks and it performed great, as expected. Three gigs were all-acoustic at very small assisted living homes where the room being played in was basically a small living room with between 3 and 7 residents. As hoped, the larger body and Black Ice model standard CF build made for a louder and clearer tone which is especially critical for the few mellow fingerstyle songs we play.

The fourth gig was at a new assisted living facility center that was much larger. They told us we would play all acoustic but the photos I saw of the function rooms on their website looked large so I brought my little Bose S1 Pro 'just in case'. Sure as heck, the room was large and rectangular with us at the long end and they filled the room. So I plugged in the S1 and it worked very well. The LR Baggs Element StagePro pickup system works very well with the S1 since the signal is hotter than the Anthem StagePro in my RainSong Nashville.

These gigs also marked the first use of the RainSong branded gig bag that I got from Ted at LA Guitars. RainSong has discontinued this gig bag and when they did Ted bought out their remaining stock. I like the look of the black bag with tan trim. The RainSong logo is tastefully embroidered on the front. It has two large zippered pockets on the bottom and a smaller zippered pocket on the top. The quality is very good and should work well and last a long time. I much prefer the lightweight and versatility of a well-made gig bag for CF guitars.

I'll post a photo shortly.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Photo - Here is the RainSong gig bag, all packed up for a gig. Besides the Black Ice dread it's also holding a microphone, two cords, two wireless units, the tablet, the Levy strap, fold-up guitar stand, pick pouch, spare capo, headstock tuner and my arm sleeve 'sock'. The little tablet holder folds up nice and sits conveniently in the front grip loop. There are shoulder straps on the bag as well. Very well made.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber