The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-20-2022, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Electronics 'Barn Door' Conversion to Sound Port?

Has anyone seen any good 'barn door' conversions to a good looking sound port ?

I recently acquired a hard to find used Furch Red Master's choice, which I love so far. This model comes with an Anthem system installed, but I was actually hoping to score one without electronics. I don't ever play out and I always wonder if the tone is compromised with the undersaddle wire pickup. But since this is a very new model and I really wanted to try it ou, I decided to get the one used one that I could find which had the Anthem pre-installed.

I'm a fan of sound ports generally, and would love to see if anyone has seen or has ideas on modifying the standard barn-door/rectangle cutout into something that maybe inserts into the space with a small and attractive sound port. I might try to dream something up that I do myself, but looking for ideas for inspiration or a tried and true method so I am not reinventing the wheel here.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2022, 02:14 PM

I'm pretty sure it was here on the AGF where I've seen this - someone made a decent looking wood insert to go in place of the (removed) barn door electronics....

here's a discussion from 10 years ago....
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=259055

There's a good picture in this thread:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=586640
Old 01-20-2022, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Ah, cool. Thanks for un-earthing that one! I hadn't seen it before. It's generating some ideas here!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair