The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-24-2020, 03:14 AM

Default X20 Video Review -- Finally Done

I thought I'd bang this video out in two days but it's taken me over three weeks to get tuned up. I recorded 20+ hours of video for it, rehearsing each section 20-30 times till I could get through without fumbling over words. The playing section was tough to get lined up without overlaps between the versions of me. Endless editing and revisions. Definitely a labor of love.

I hope it was worth it, and that my target audience -- guys like me obsessing over an X20 -- find it valuable. It's colossally long as guitar reviews go, I know, but I did my best to keep any fluff, rambling, dead space, or channel promotional noise out of it.

Last edited by byudzai; 12-24-2020 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:49 AM

Excellent... thanks you done good..real good..thanks!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-24-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Wow! Nicely done. And, nothing left out.

On edit, I just watched it all the way through for a second time... two enthusiastic thumbs up! Having done a few music videos this year, I am impressed with your editing/shooting skills. If there was an AGF award for Best Video Review, this would get my vote!

This is a must-watch for anyone considering an X20, really showing all advantages the forward-thinking design offers.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 12-24-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Excellent job once again, thanks a lot 😀
As much as I like the advantages of the X20, to my ears the Martin is just in a different league!
Old 12-24-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

A truly excellent job, Alex - thank you for taking the time and trouble.

If anyone ever asks me what all the fuss is about CF guitars, and Emerald in particular, I can’t think of a better showcase to share with them.

I particularly appreciate the way you let the sound samples stand on their own, and don’t offer any opinions or conclusions about your own preferences.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-24-2020, 10:52 AM
Guest 928

Marvelous work, thank you.

I think the guy on the right is the better player.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:59 AM

I rarely watch any video through without skipping ahead, but every second of yours was worth it. Amazingly well done, and obviously a ton of planning, recording, and post production effort went into it! This sets the bar rather high for all future guitar reviews, IMO. Emerald would do well to link to your video as a sales tool for any CF skeptics.

Tone: Listening carefully on good computer speakers, I found that the tone was quite close between the Taylor and the X20 - both were modern in character and clarity, with the X20 being just a bit richer. The D-28 was typical Martin dreadnought tone, and the difference was discernible. All of them sounded fine, so the choice really comes down to personal preference. Personally I'd always trade a bit of classic wooden tone for the wonderful ergonomics, especially since the X20 really owes no apologies to anyone on tone. Your new X20 does not have the overly brash character that my new one does (an admitted outlier). I will have to try the Santa Cruz strings as I progress through the types, trying to find the type that is "just right".

Stringing: Since I am busy experimenting with different string types to tame the tone, my new X20 it is now on set #5 in six weeks. Normally any one of my guitars does not get five string changes in a year, unless I am busy gigging. My first attempt was using a golf tee to hold the string end at the bridge. The key discovery was that it drops into the hole at a 45° angle, not perpendicular to the top. The golf tee worked really well to hold the ball end in place, and there were some laying about anyway. But with a heavier medium gauge low E string (56) the flared tee binds once the string was brought up to tension and had to be gently pulled with pliers. So I next tried a regular slotted bridge pin, and that works a bit better. I may sand a flat side onto some golf tees and keep one in every case, plus my guitar tool kit. Just remember the 45° angle then using a dowel or bridge pin works well.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If there was an AGF award for Best Video Review, this would get my vote!
+1 on a great presentation. Very well put together. Pretty evident that a lot of hard work went into getting things right with this production. Emerald owes you for work like this video.

I still favor the wood body sound (In this case 1=Martin, 2=Taylor, 3=Emerald), but the X20 has a place in the choir. Plus you cover the superior attributes of the CF build in detail.

Still have to decide between an X20 or X30, but I'm getting closer.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:24 AM

You've managed to hit all the right "notes" for a valuable review. Besides a really sophisticated presentation, the content was obviously well thought-out and given in a fair way. It doesn't try to pick a winner but respects the audience to come to their own conclusion. These are different guitars that each have a unique combination of tradition and innovation. Each have their own appeal and the X20 shines as an alternative to wood guitars. Thanks for the great job on this!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 12-24-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Wow That is the best review I have seen to date......You just sold a boat load of Emerald guitars Well done
Old 12-24-2020, 12:28 PM

Excellent as always- now I’ll find time to watch the video later [emoji3]
Old 12-24-2020, 01:01 PM

Excellent review and excellent job on the editing. Having spent 20 years as a production editor at a tv station and worked with both Avid and Final Cut, I can appreciate how much work you put into this video. Good job!
Dan
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 12-24-2020, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Wow...that was great and I bet a LOT of work. I loved the depth and overtones of the D-28, but it didn't look real comfortable compared to the others. And I think it was Steelvibe that made the point of even though I prefer the tone of the Martin and the Taylor, those may not be the one I would purchase due to the value offered by others. What's next?
Old 12-24-2020, 01:22 PM

That was simply outstanding!! Thank you for the time and effort to make this so valuable and informative

If this doesn't end up on Emerald's site, I will be shocked!

BTW, the length of the video was completely lost on me....I was so engrossed I found myself surprised when it came to an end
Old 12-24-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Alex, a very well done and informative video--Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber