The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2020, 11:45 AM

Default NGD - Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy (2020 Version)

After a bit of protest-induced delay, the guitar finally arrived yesterday.

First of all, there are changes to the 2020 version from the previous releases. The body, previously made of Agathis, is now made of Basswood. The fretboard/bridge material has been transitioned from Rosewood to Walnut. I am a little concerned with the Rosewood->Walnut switch, given the previous AFG discussions on the matter, but time will tell how durable the fretboard will be.

The fit and finish is much better than I expected from a $169 guitar. I was originally worried that the black matte finish on the neck and the body would be a fingerprint magnet, but that is no issue whatsoever.

Playability-wise, it takes a little bit to adjust to a 24" scale, although it is not as difficult as that of the CSF/GSMini, etc. The guitar was set up well from the good folks at N Stuff Music in Pittsburgh. The factory strings (D'Addario 12-gauge) were really stiff and seemed to choke the tone out of the guitar, so off they went in favor of the DR Dragonskins 11-gauge. That swap immediately improved the playability and the tone.

Speaking of tone, aside from the obvious disclaimer that there is no getting away from the boxiness, it sounds suprisingly good. I am particularly impressed with the resonance and the sustain. (The sustain is especially astonishing for a parlor.) The lack of overtones works to accentuate note separation, and strums sound better than one would expect. Although it's marketed as a blues box, and rightfully so, it has some versatility. I almost think Gretsch should use the same construction with some other tonewoods (e.g. solid Spruce or Cedar top, for instance) to make more fantastic-sounding parlors.

All in all, this works as a travel guitar that can be left out of the bag in a very arid environment. I could use some additional string recommendations from those who had experiences with this guitar.

Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy (Indonesia) LaminateBasswood
Old 06-10-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Cool guitar! I tried one a couple years back and was a blast to play. Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

My son and I both had these when they first came out, really liked 'em.
Funky and fun!
Old 06-14-2020, 07:17 PM

Yes, the fun-to-play factor is definitely there. Now to find the right strings...
Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy (Indonesia) LaminateBasswood
Old 06-14-2020, 07:20 PM

I have one in my cart on Amazon at this moment. Am thinking it's a perfect couch guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion