The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 11:09 AM

Default SOLD: 2006 Beneteau M-size baritone, Brazilian/bearclaw Adirondack

2006 Beneteau M-size baritone, Brazilian/bearclaw Adirondack.

This is an awesome guitar and I will miss it. Of course, I'd like it to sell eventually but I won't be too disappointed if it takes a little while.

I bought this a couple years ago, here on AGF, and have really gotten a kick out of it. It sounds beautiful and plays just as well. The neck feels great -- a medium-to-low profile. This is the first guitar I've ever played with a sound port and it really adds to the experience. It's set up well for D'Addario 14-59 strings. I'll include an unused pack in the case.

I bought it from a guy who bought it from Dream Guitars owner Paul Heumiller, who custom ordered it from Marc Beneteau. You can see the Dream Guitars listing here. I imagine Paul has his own stash of AAAA woods or can request them. Either way, they're on full display on this guitar.

It's in very good condition. A couple very minor bumps and handling marks, but no cracks or issues. I've only made one change. I didn't realize this when I bought it but it came with five Gotoh 510 tuners with an 18:1 ratio and one with a 21:1 ratio. Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention to the previous listing. I replaced them all with a new set of Gotoh 510 21:1 tuners with black buttons an an antique gold finish. As you would expect, these matched perfectly.

Here are some general stats:

Scale: 28”
Nut width: 1-13/16
Saddle spacing: 2-3/8

Top: bearclaw Adirondack
Back and sides: Brazilian
Laskin-style armrest bevel
McIntyre Feather pickup
Canada-era Calton flight case

I took a stab at Kottke's "Echoing Gilewitz" in this video. (Tuning: A# F A# D F A#.) A couple hiccups but you'll get the idea.

For some flawless playing that really shows off the baritone's rumble, check out Al Petteway's video for Dream Guitars.

This is the best job I could do on photos in my house. Please ignore the light bulb glares. Drop me a line if you need a better photo of something.

Last edited by ChicagoMatt; 06-18-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Seriously wish I could buy this. I know its not likely to sit around for long and these are the same specs I prefer. :-( Marc's neck is my very favorite, so wish I could snag this!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 06-08-2020, 05:20 AM

I like the yin/yang inlay in the headstock!

whm
Old 06-09-2020, 01:18 PM

Dustin and Wade, thanks for the kind words. She plays as well as she looks as well as she sounds...
Old 06-09-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Smile I'm with Wade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I like the yin/yang inlay in the headstock!

whm
What a BOSS axe!!! I am not usually a fan of custom inlay, but I do like the Headstock too...

You sound very nice on this and AP always knocks off ones socks!

No way I can go to this scale with my small old hands. But someone will be STOKED for sure!

SALUD

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Great job with the Kottke tune ! I liked your demo more of the two. A few of those accented bass notes really showed what kind of power this baritone must have when you really dig into it.

Nearly bought a Beneteau Paduak baritone from the Podium years ago. This one looks and sounds even nicer. Unfortunately neither my hands nor bank account could handle this guitar now...

Best of luck with the sale.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:35 AM

Let's get this one back in the mix. Bump!
Old 01-01-2021, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDEMO1 View Post
Great job with the Kottke tune ! I liked your demo more of the two. A few of those accented bass notes really showed what kind of power this baritone must have when you really dig into it.

Nearly bought a Beneteau Paduak baritone from the Podium years ago. This one looks and sounds even nicer. Unfortunately neither my hands nor bank account could handle this guitar now...

Best of luck with the sale.
FWIW - not a Kottke piece. It's part of Gilewitz "Echoing Wilderness" from his 'Synapse Collapse' album. Leo heard it, liked it, and used it on his "A Shout Towards Noon" album; with Richard's agreement. That's my understanding.

Also, Marc Beneteau makes superior guitars. I own an OM13 and previously owned another OM. He was one of the few builders who could provide a double bevel; arm and chest - a really comfortable and excellent sounding guitar.

Teacher/mentor - Richard Gilewitz

Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 12 String
Beneteau OMC -13
Simon Fay OM
Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 6 String
Old 01-03-2021, 09:45 AM

Jay, thanks for the Kottke/Gilewitz clarification. Also, I absolutely agree that Marc Beneteau makes superior guitars.

I just started learning Kottke's "Easter and the Sargasso Sea" on the baritone and it sounds great. I'm using John Strope's transcription. While it's not a 12-string, the baritone handles the lower tuning perfectly -- A#-D#-A#-D#-G-A#.

Lastly, a user gave me a heads up that some of my photos above weren't displaying. I could see them because I was logged into my Google account, but others couldn't because I hadn't set the privacy settings correctly. I believe I've fixed the issue. You should see seven original photos and two videos. Drop me a line if you'd like additional pics.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 06-18-2021, 08:34 PM

A year and a handful of days after posting this ... SOLD!

I hope the new owner enjoys the guitar as much as I did.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars